Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russian prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2018 at 08:14
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I thought we already had a conversation thread on Russian prog, but I couldn't find it.

yep there's a whole 23-page thread about it

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Karfagen

From Ukraine, not Russia. Mr Putin doesn't see a distinction but a lot of Ukrainians do.

thank you
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2018 at 14:59

^ Dude posts the same thing in pretty much every thread about non-Anglo prog.

Lol I am mocking Darren Lock. Ever heard of him? 

LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2018 at 16:08
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

^ Dude posts the same thing in pretty much every thread about non-Anglo prog.

Lol I am mocking Darren Lock. Ever heard of him? 

LOL
Yeah, I saw one of his YouTube reviews. 

He struck me as - how can I put this without being impolite? - something of a clueless t**t.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2018 at 17:22
^^^^ He is lol

Prog is universal and can be from anywhere Smile
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 13:51
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Prog is universal and can be from anywhere Smile
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 14:57
In Russia, prog plays you.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 08:57

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 22:24
Quite a bizarre story about an unfortunate Russian guitarist....have any of you heard of him?  

http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/bad-smelling-airline-passenger-was-rotting-russian-rocker-hes-now-dead/

Andrey Suchilin was revered in Russia. Not only was he known one of the country’s best guitarist, he was also considered a rock pioneer in the bad old days of the Soviet Union.

He was recently on a flight from the Canary Islands en route to Amsterdam on a Transavia flight–and he wasn’t well.

Suchilin smelled so bad, that other passengers began fainting and vomiting. The stench from his body was so intense flight attendants first tried to isolate him by putting him one of the lavatories. When that didn’t help, the captain made the decision to divert to Faro, Portugal.

He was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed as suffering from tissue necrosis–the dreaded flesh-eating disease. He was literally rotting, which is why he was so rank.

(interesting video of Suchilin playing, I can hear Fripp & Terje Rypdal influences)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=39&v=CQ3fbBSBh6c

Edited by cstack3 - June 28 2018 at 22:44
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 08:48
^ That was very odd and sad.  Very good guitarist from that video, did not know of him until this story came out.  RIP
respublicamars View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote respublicamars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 02:59
Russian old school thrash prog band CATAPULTAH and their album "Water" which was recently re-mastered and re-issued on CD by Metal Race Label.

Review quote (Google translate): By the way, the musicians among their main musical reference points are called Meshuggah, Dream Theater and Atheist, and the first thing you pay attention to when you start listening to the material is the technical roar of the bass that has been brought to the fore, which is followed by "pulling" bubbling drums, filigree guitar attacks and raucous vocals in the spirit of the End Zone, which as from a catapult blur into the face of the listener these three talented old-schoolers. Strictly speaking, there are only elements from thrash, but there is no death at all, although I still perceive such music more like thrash and associations, because of "Water" they do not arise with Atheist and certainly not with Dream Theater

Edited by respublicamars - September 25 2018 at 03:06
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 05:38
Here's some, minus a few I saw mentioned on the first page:

Lost World
The Gourishankar
Quorum
Ariel
WMRI
Polite Refusal
Apple Pie
Little Tragedies
Sezon Dozhdei
Group 309
Arsenal
Uphill Work
Visokosnoe Leto
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 14:50
All I really know is Pandora Snail and I love it.
arkvespero View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvespero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 23:59

Vespero - "Hollow Moon" teaser (Tonzonen, TON042)

Animation by Alexey Klabukov
Based on paitings by Julia Novikova

Official release will be on October, 26 !

https://vespero.bandcamp.com/album/hollow-moon

GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 09:55
Anyone heard Akvarium.

Captain Africa is And Will Always Be One Of The Most insanely beautiful things to be part of my life.!.!.!
You need to listen to this. It is rewarding.

Edited by GrafHaarschnitt - October 16 2018 at 10:01
arkvespero View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvespero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 04:43

New album of russian space-prog-rockers Vespero “Hollow Moon” (Tonzonen Records, TON042)!

Welcome to the journey to the Moon! To watch the Earth rise every Lunar night ...

Streaming via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more. Order your copy here:
https://vespero.bandcamp.com/album/hollow-moon

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 14:17
Vezhlivy Otkaz are booked for a Russian-American festival (Jetlag) in NY State next June, think I'll go!

JETLAG-2019: ВЕЖЛИВЫЙ ОТКАЗ ("Polite Refusal")

We are proud and excited to make our first JetLAG-2019 announcement. Welcome the pioneers of Russian experimental art rock, with their inimitably sophisticated, often almost academic but also most erratic and groovy style, unique signature sound and edgy avant-guard lyrics. Back to US after almost 20-year break, now as a trio. Dmitry Shumilov - bass, vocal, Roman Suslov - guitar, vocal, Mikhail Mitin - drums. Yes, it is they! VEZHLIVY OTKAZ!

YOU-TOP-EE-YEAH! UTOPIA!
WELCOME TO JETLAG-2019!

🦊🐻🎶🌏🌼 🌻🌏🎶🦊🐻🎶🐼🐼
♪ JUNE 21-23, 2019♪
Tickets on sale at http://jetlagfestival.com/tickets/
Find out more about us at jetlagfestival.com � instagram.com/jetlagmusicfestival/

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
felonafan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felonafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 00:56
releases of the Russian prog-rock-band Roz Vitalis in 2018

The Hidden Man of the Heart
(Lizard Records, LIZARD CD 0136)
https://rozvitalis.bandcamp.com/album/the-hidden-man-of-the-heart
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=56833
Elephant Live
Velvetgnom View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velvetgnom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 05:25
Karma Rassa is really cool atmospheric progressive band from Saint-Petersburg. They have 2 albums in with english lyrics and 1 with russian lyrics! They also have played at ProgPower Europe and Rock au Chateau prog festivals.

Vesna... Snova Vesna (2018) https://karmarassa.bandcamp.com/album/vesna-snova-vesna-2018
Talks to Innerself (2016) https://karmarassa.bandcamp.com/album/talks-to-innerself-2016
Music into the void (2014) https://karmarassa.bandcamp.com/album/music-into-the-void-2014

Enjoy!

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 17:24
As much as I don't like certain people in politics from Russia there are a couple of artists that come to mind that I have really gotten into - The Gourishankar and another one I am having a hard time putting a finger on...

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 03 2018 at 17:32
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 17:32
Got it Pandora Snail 2015 :)
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>