Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russian prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 17:34
The Gourishankar 2nd Hands album cover
Pandora Snail War and Peace album cover
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 19:50
HORIZANT is cool. Prog from Soviet days. Started in a tractor factory!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 03:37
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

HORIZANT is cool. Prog from Soviet days. Started in a tractor factory!

There's one of the greatest things the USSR did. The pre-1917 Russian state had around 75% of peasantry. The Soviet power took all those uneducated illiterate people and de facto made them the nobility, 'cause, for example, neither Tolstoy nor Dostoyevsky intended their literary works to be read for peasants or lower classes. Here, at the Soviet schools, former peasants, current peasants, children of the peasants studied War And Piece with all those pages in French translated below on the page. The former noblemen had en masse proved their arrogance, ignorance and other bad features - so, God (or, if you like, fate) swapped the ruling classes a bit. Those who had been previously nothing, became... well, not everything, not quite the ruling class, but the middle class indeed. Engineer was the most popular and widespread and common Soviet profession. Most of them certainly came to the cities from the villages and towns. 

I tend to go off-topic, I agree. 
Anyway, there was a 1987 pop song called "I see my village in my dreams". Or so, I'm not a professional interpreter, after all.  HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of Soviet citizens saw themselves in this song: 

Edited by Woon Deadn - May 26 2020 at 03:37
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 07:50
I have a bunch of Russian prog in my collection. Those already mentioned include:
Pikapika Teart
Diversion Voice
Vespero
Iamthemorning

Some that I didn't see mentioned are:
Human Factor (elements of post rock, similar to Hydria Spacefolk):

Lost World Band (violin prog)

Rozmainsky and Mikhaylov Project (RMP)

Shalash

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 08:27
Little Tragedies!!! What a band!!!

ELP with metal guitar and sax. Check out Cross or At Nights for some over-the-top psycho Prog.

They also released one of the best Christmas albums ever: The Magic Shop.

Also into iamthemorning, Pandora Snail and Vespero. Russian musicians are top notch.
The Prog Corner
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 11:16
Originally posted by Woon Deadn Woon Deadn wrote:

There's one of the greatest things the USSR did. The pre-1917 Russian state had around 75% of peasantry. The Soviet power took all those uneducated illiterate people and de facto made them the nobility, 'cause, for example, neither Tolstoy nor Dostoyevsky intended their literary works to be read for peasants or lower classes. Here, at the Soviet schools, former peasants, current peasants, children of the peasants studied War And Piece with all those pages in French translated below on the page. The former noblemen had en masse proved their arrogance, ignorance and other bad features - so, God (or, if you like, fate) swapped the ruling classes a bit. Those who had been previously nothing, became... well, not everything, not quite the ruling class, but the middle class indeed. Engineer was the most popular and widespread and common Soviet profession. Most of them certainly came to the cities from the villages and towns. 

I tend to go off-topic, I agree. 
Anyway, there was a 1987 pop song called "I see my village in my dreams". Or so, I'm not a professional interpreter, after all.  HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of Soviet citizens saw themselves in this song: 

Sergey Belikov has a great voice. His proggier (probably Queen-influenced) track "Nocturne" also stood the test of time well:

Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 12:36
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 12:39
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 12:43

Edited by TheH - May 26 2020 at 12:50
HarryAngel746 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryAngel746 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 13:00
ah second album by Horizont is like symphonic music - but played on these strange synthesizers, very unique with some dramatic story to imagine. Sepsis had nice jamming psych style with loud bass a la Yes.

From symphonic/electronic oddballs I like:
Boris Petrov - Memory 1986

and let's not forget about Russian King Crimson Wink
Biocord - High Skies 1995 (more tracks to find on YT)

Edited by HarryAngel746 - May 26 2020 at 13:05
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 13:09
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 13:16
David Tukhmanov's 1975 epic album is worth mentioning here, too - this is definitely prog, it was even mentioned in GEPR: 

Zvuki Mu sometimes gave incredible performances: 

Edited by Woon Deadn - May 27 2020 at 05:28
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 14:26
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Disen Gage are great
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 14:26

Speaking of the earlier, Soviet times, there were some people floating in and out all around the very essence of progressive rock, so to say. 

Speaking of the ancient era, there were tricky tunes like this one: 

Hey is this Svetonio? 
Ian

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 15:11

Speaking of the earlier, Soviet times, there were some people floating in and out all around the very essence of progressive rock, so to say.

Hi Svettie HeartHug

Bye Svettie Broken HeartPig

CensoredYing YangNuke

LOL

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 16:32
^^ You'd better listen and read before calling the guy "new Svetonio". Censored
Most of the videos he posted in this thread belong to significant bands/artists in the USSR. You may like these songs or not, but they are already classics. 

Edited by NotAProghead - May 26 2020 at 16:33
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 20:03
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^^ You'd better listen and read before calling the guy "new Svetonio". Censored
Most of the videos he posted in this thread belong to significant bands/artists in the USSR. You may like these songs or not, but they are already classics. 

Apologies if I misspoke. 
Ian

PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 21:17
A few weeks ago, I bought the CD Close Grip by The Gourishankar. Very interesting music ! Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 21:34
I have a couple of cds by The Gourishankar as well as stuff by Little Tragedies, Lost World, Sunchild and Karfagen. So far I really have only heard Karfagen and a little bit of Little Tragedies. Both are very good. I haven't gotten around to the others yet.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 27 2020 at 06:41
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 22:16
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I have a couple of cds by The Gourishankar as well as stuff by Little Tragedies, Sunchild and Karfagen. So far I really have only heard Karfagen and a little bit of Little Tragedies. Both are very good. I haven't gotten around to the others yet.

Sunchild and Karfagen are from Ukraine. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>