Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink Floyd - "Where Do We Go From Here?"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd - "Where Do We Go From Here?"
    Posted: February 09 2018 at 21:08
Not exactly sure where to put this, but I've been working on this non-profit fan project called "Where Do We Go From Here?". I edited solo works of Richard Wright and David Gilmour, with a little bit of Roger Waters to create a new fictional unique Pink Floyd-esque concept album. 

If you're curious, there's more info in the link below. You can also listen to the fake album there too.

Edited by wdwgfh - February 09 2018 at 21:09
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 22:42
I don't really remember many of those songs, so I guess I would need to check them out again. However, what I did as a list was an alternate version of The Wall, leaving out the pieces I don't really enjoy so much, and including my favourite ones from The Final Cut, as well as a few Gilmour's and Wright's songs from '78, just to get an idea of what could have been if they had not used their ideas on solo albums and thus contribute a bit of music to The Wall project. For me it would end up like this (and I do find it more enjoyable than the real album):
- Mediterranean C (Wright).
- The Thin Ice (Is there anybody out there? live version).
- Another Brick in the Wall 1 (demo version).
- Goodbye Blue Sky (The Wall live Waters solo version).
- When the Tigers Broke Free.
- The Hero's Return (parts 1 & 2... very important for me to have both parts).
- The happiest days of our lives / Another Brick in the wall 2.
- Mother (In the Flesh Waters solo version).
- Against the odds (Wright).
- Cat Cruise (Wright).
- The Final Cut.
- What shall we do now? (Live in Berlin).
- Not now John.
- One of my turns.
- No way (Gilmour).
- Waves (Wright).
- Another brick in the wall 3 / the last few bricks (live in Berlin).
- Is there anybody out there? (Is there anybody out there? live).
- Hey you (Pulse).
- The Fletcher Memorial home.
- Southampton Dock (In the Flesh live).
- Mad Yannis Dance (Wright).
- Comfortably Numb (Delicate sound of Thunder version).
- The show must go on.
- In the Flesh (live in Berlin).
- Run like Hell (The Wall live Waters solo).
- Waiting for the Worms / Stop (live in Berlin).
- Two Suns in the sunset.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 07:17
Nice to hear your ideas, there's some quite interesting combinations here I had never thought about.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 13:43
Against the odds is one of my favorites from Wright. I love the classical guitar parts by Snowy White. I think Hot River and Cuts Like A Diamond should be in

Edited by octopus-4 - February 10 2018 at 13:45
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 15:59
I adore the Rick Wright project "Zee" with its one album "Identity."

Sounds like the band Japan. Not a prog album at all. The singer/lyricist (Dave Harris) sounds uncannily like Rick Wright too (though perhaps a little better of a singer) and I read he is remastering the album. IMO the instrumental parts (all fairlight CMI) are the best stuff Wright put together from 1978 on.

I rate his first solo album as poor and his last as mediocre... also, Broken China sounds like too many cooks spoiled the soup.

David Gilmour's first solo album is pretty boring to me. About Face is better. Then you have On an Island and Rattle that Lock, which are both spotty and not too thrilling. I probably prefer About Face.

Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell are a lot better than anything the three guys besides Waters did outside of Floyd.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 22:04
^ As far as full albums go, none of the Floyd solo did anything as good as Pink Floyd themselves. Not even Waters with Amused to Death (which might be my favourite solo album from any of them). But most of them have killer songs anyway. I think one of the ones I like leas is actually Identity =( . However, Wet Dream does have some very beautiful moments, even if it is all mostly subdued. I think Broken China is very good, though... still somewhat subdued, and perhaps there are several songs that I really wouldn't want to hear outside the album, but as a whole listen it's very enjoyable. Gilmour's first might be rather disappointing for me too, with only a few somewhat good songs. I guess About Face is indeed better, but still patchy... however, it does have some of the best Floyd solo songs in Murder and Near the End (the live versions of these songs, and other ones from the album in genera, are for me much better... too bad they have only been released on VHS video... the concert should be re-released in DVD/CD format). On an Island is also rather subdued, and only has a pair of great songs by themselves, but it's also a very nice listen to put the whole album... specially in the live versions where it gains a bit more energy. Rattle that Lock is much better... perhaps not so much of a whole cohesive album thing, but for me easily Gilmour's best, and a good contender for the second spot for my favourite Floyd solo albums. Momentary Lapse is indeed good, and The Division Bell is actually among my favourite Floyd albums... Number 3 I think, just beneath Wish you Were Here and Animals.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 22:11
Another collection of songs that I made that could work as a "lost" album for me is one with a sea connection... a bit of Floyd themselves, plus some more Wright and Gilmour solo, making a rather cohesive sound among them:
- Echoes.
- Along the Shoreline (Wright).
- Mediterranean C (Wright).
- Cat Cruise (Wright).
- Waves (Wright).
- Marooned.
- Castellorizon (Gilmour).
- On an Island (Gilmour).
- Take a Breath (Gilmour).
- This Heaven (Gilmour).

For me, the Gilmour songs on their Live in Gdansk versions, for me better than the original ones, and including Wright on them all gives them an even more Floyd feel than on studio.
wdwgfh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 09:44
Dellinger, those are interesting ideas. I'll def check those collections of song out.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 10:03
No love for Fictitious Sports?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
wdwgfh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 10:07
Fictitious Sports is a great album. It's not very Floydian though, so it didn't really fit in with my concept.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 10:15
I was listening to your "fake album" yesterday, and I thought it flowed very well. Good job.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
wdwgfh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 10:19
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was fun putting it all together.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 10:34
Thank you. It's not enough to just have a good bunch of songs for what you're doing, they transition well, and do work coherently.   It's really well done, I think.

I want to try putting together something when I have the time (had a concept I've been wanting to do for ages, and tried with mix tapes ages ago, but with today's technology I can create better transitions. The album will hopefully act as a suite with different artists, and end with a medley). I probably won't ever get around to it.

Edited by Logan - February 11 2018 at 10:35
wdwgfh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 10:42
I'd definitely be interested in hearing it. I do plan on making more "fake albums" like this when I get the time. I have a few other ideas floating around. I spent way more hours on this one than I originally planned to, haha.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 10:48
It's a learning process, hopefully it should get easier as you go along (unless you get more and more ambitious). Be sure to share anything else you may make in the future. My main thing I wanted to make was my Nineteen Eighty-Whore album which I started writing songs for decades ago (looking it up, I now see someone has done that concept as a cabaret -- damn, my original idea was to do it as a musical).

Edited by Logan - February 11 2018 at 10:58
wdwgfh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 18:49
I'll definitely share my other projects as they come. 
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 19:46
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ As far as full albums go, none of the Floyd solo did anything as good as Pink Floyd themselves. Not even Waters with Amused to Death (which might be my favourite solo album from any of them)[...] The Division Bell is actually among my favourite Floyd albums... Number 3 I think, just beneath Wish you Were Here and Animals.

For me Amused to Death > Division Bell. Funny ranking to read, WYWH and Animals and Division Bell fan wrapped in one! Animals is a Roger Waters fanatic favorite, not a Gilmour fanatic pick (ironically, despite all the great guitar work)!

For me it's

1. The Wall
2. The Final Cut
3. Animals
4. Dark Side Of The Moon
5. Wish You Were Here

So basically I'm a Roger Waters fan ;)

Also Momentary Lapse > Division Bell.... The two finales on those albums are out of this world great, Sorrow and High Hopes. If the rest of those two albums reached the same heights it would be no contest with Waters, but Amused is consistently valuable and cohesive. I've gotten a lot of replay value of out Radio KAOS, I must say, though he messed that album up. I have a version I made which edits Billy out completely and adds "Get Back to Radio" and "Towers of Faith." My own little thing that somewhat resembles the OP theme.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 20:55
^ I do love the whole Animals, but my very favourite is Dogs, and that's got lot's of Gilmour... it was even, mostly, written by Gilmour, and has lot's of beautiful guitars. And I find it the other way around between Amused to Death and Division Bell. I really enjoy every single song from DB, while AtD has many songs that don't do much for me (even if it does have some really wonderful songs)... and there are moments in which I do wish Gilmour, of the whole of Floyd, had been with Waters to fix some of the songs, or some moments of songs (such as with What God Wants part 3... that one begs for a Gilmour solo). As for Momentary Lapse, I do feel some of it's moments are indeed a bit weaker, and my favourite songs from it I prefer on the Delicate Sound of Thunder versions (On the Turning Away and Yet Another Movie).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 20:59
Another compilation I did was a what if?... when The Division Bell was written, they had used the best parts from it, and the best parts of the music that ended up being used 20 years later on The Endless River. With the combination of the proper DB songs and the musical landscapes on TER, it could really have been pushed further into the realms of their 70's masterpieces. My compilation includes only the songs as they were used in both albums, but the best would have been to actually combine some of the songs from one album with the other.
wdwgfh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 21:09
Yeah I actually considered putting together an Endless River/Division Bell album. The Division Bell is actually my personal favorite Floyd album. Amused to Death is good too, but I've always been more of a Gilmour fan.

Edited by wdwgfh - February 11 2018 at 21:13
 Post Reply Post Reply