Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Godbluff vs Free Hand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: VDGG Godbluff or Gentle Giant Free Hand?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
45 [51.14%]
43 [48.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Godbluff vs Free Hand
    Posted: February 10 2018 at 02:35
Two legendary 1975 progressive rock recordings, typically heralded by the community as top-tier entries into the genre. If you could only pick ONE of these fantastic records, which would it be?

I won't lie...I don't know if I can choose! I'm interested in seeing the community's take on these monster albums! Discuss!

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - February 10 2018 at 02:35

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 02:45
To very sinister, raw and groovy albums with dark imagery on cover art.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 02:50
"Godbluff" for me, though "Free Hand" is a very good album too

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 02:53
There are a few bands, I never really could get into: Tool, Muse, Radiohead, Vandergraaf Generator, Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Nothing negative, so I'm not going to bash bands, but it just never really appealed to me.
Maybe it's the dark undertones, the lack of romanticism, the lack of pastoral themes. Too modern, not playful,/joyful enough?

Anyhow, I would go for Free Hand anytime, anyplace. I maybe have played this album at least a dozen times a year for the last 25 years. Maybe the most played album by me (with Thick as a Brick, Octoberon and Mirage).
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 03:22
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

There are a few bands, I never really could get into: Tool, Muse, Radiohead, Vandergraaf Generator, Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Nothing negative, so I'm not going to bash bands, but it just never really appealed to me.
Maybe it's the dark undertones, the lack of romanticism, the lack of pastoral themes. Too modern, not playful,/joyful enough?

Anyhow, I would go for Free Hand anytime, anyplace. I maybe have played this album at least a dozen times a year for the last 25 years. Maybe the most played album by me (with Thick as a Brick, Octoberon and Mirage).

my dear Sir, you apparently never really listened to VdGG, else you would have noticed how incredibly playful they are. many of the lyrics are tongue-in-cheek (especially some of the very dark ones), and the music is very playful too. who else but VdGG would start a song as a fugue and end it as a reggae? and they incorporated many dances into their music too, like cha-cha, bossa nova or fandango. and many of their melodies are very pastoral indeed. no, my dear Sir, you are entirely wrong with your evaluation of VdGG.

and this inherent irony of VdGG's music is very romantic indeed. have you never heard the term "romantic irony"?

Edited by BaldJean - February 10 2018 at 03:48

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 03:51
Fried Eggs !!!!!!! I’ve listened to each of these albums as much as each other over the last 20-30 years........
Very tough to pick.......(at least I’ve listened to Godbluff many times in an altered state of mind.......... VDGG gets my vote.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 04:04
A rather tough challenge. Free Hand by a narrow margin.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 04:08
I haven't listened to either albums in quite a while.

I will listen to both and get back to this poll :)
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 04:51
Gentle Giant. I had Godbluff in vinyl , but I never liked  ,so, I gave the album to one friend !!!
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 05:03
^ And you certainly made your friend  very happy - one of the albums of my life, without the shadow of a doubt
(you should give it a second chance, it's impossible to dislike it that much, considering you are a GG fan...like loving manga and hating mamão...)

Edited by Quinino - February 10 2018 at 05:05
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 07:08
Gentle Giant of course. VDGG s also quite good, but GG is higher ranked in my list.

Edited by Manuel - February 10 2018 at 07:09
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 07:17
kudos the OP..  that's an interesting poll question.

Two of the most overrated albums on this site.. beloved by those that love them.. ie.. hardcore.. non sexed non musically diverse live in their mama's basement prog fan.

for the rest of us.. pfff..

no vote.. but hey.. great poll!!!!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 07:37
GG.......but  mostly because Hamill's voice has always annoyed me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 08:01
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

GG.......but  mostly because Hamill's voice has always annoyed me.

Oh yeah---can't take Hamill at all but Free Hand is my fav GG albumSmile
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 08:33
Don't really like Free Hand at all, but Godbluff has a few really awesome tracks on it, like Undercover Man, so it got my vote pretty easily.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 09:04
Godbluff.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 09:18
VdGG
d    G
G    d
GGdV
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 09:53
Neither are in my top 5 albums for each band, but head to head I'd definitely go with Godbluff Wink
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 10:06
Godbluff easily.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 10:25
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

my dear Sir, you apparently never really listened to VdGG, else you would have noticed how incredibly playful they are. many of the lyrics are tongue-in-cheek (especially some of the very dark ones), and the music is very playful too. who else but VdGG would start a song as a fugue and end it as a reggae? and they incorporated many dances into their music too, like cha-cha, bossa nova or fandango. and many of their melodies are very pastoral indeed. no, my dear Sir, you are entirely wrong with your evaluation of VdGG.

and this inherent irony of VdGG's music is very romantic indeed. have you never heard the term "romantic irony"?

Perhaps I listened to the wrong albums.

But I when I am dissapointed once by a band, I tend to forget about them.
It's like eating something that's burned or rotten. Then I won't even a try a good one.

Same goes for Zappa. I listened to some albums and songs and he and I never hit it off.
Perhaps the wrongs? Perhaps the wrong albums? I don't know.
But it will take a lot for me, to put on a record by Zappa and Vandergraaf Generator.

But for the sake of this post, I will try it. But not today, nor tomorrow. Tomorrow I'm going into the nature, and I can only stand music I love then, otherwise it will ruin my experience.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>