Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Godbluff vs Free Hand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: VDGG Godbluff or Gentle Giant Free Hand?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
45 [51.14%]
43 [48.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 06:20
Free Hand
Prog On!
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 06:28
Godbluff gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 08:28
Slight edge to Free Hand.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 14:15
Godbluff 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 16:02
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I like both of these albums. I'm actually starting to like Godbluff a lot, but Freehand is special so had to vote for it. I'm starting to like Van der Graff Generator more and more lately though and have no issues with the lead singer's voice whatever, in fact I like it. 

Good you're getting into VdGG... I thought you should like them if you liked ELP and Gentle Giant and other somewhat weird stuff. And indeed Peter Hamill is a monster of a singer... some may find him difficult to like, but I really like his boldness and his will to do whatever he feels works for the music. A true prog singer.

Yeah I agree with all of that. He really is special, no question. 

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 22:18

I like both of these albums. I'm actually starting to like Godbluff a lot, but Freehand is special so had to vote for it. I'm starting to like Van der Graff Generator more and more lately though and have no issues with the lead singer's voice whatever, in fact I like it. 

Good you're getting into VdGG... I thought you should like them if you liked ELP and Gentle Giant and other somewhat weird stuff. And indeed Peter Hamill is a monster of a singer... some may find him difficult to like, but I really like his boldness and his will to do whatever he feels works for the music. A true prog singer.

I believe most reason why I got into Van Der Graaf so late was Hamill. Now I just love his vocals! I really love personal vocals, but sometimes I really need time with somebodies.

Edited by Mortte - February 12 2018 at 22:19
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 22:51
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I believe most reason why I got into Van Der Graaf so late was Hamill. Now I just love his vocals! I really love personal vocals, but sometimes I really need time with somebodies.
In the age-old choice between the music and the lyrics, I very much go for the music as I suspect most prog-lovers do. But with Van der Graaf Generator (as well as Peter Hammill solo), I very much appreciate both the music and the lyrics, and also the vocal delivery by Peter Hammill.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 01:25
Free Hand (my favorite GG album along with Acquiring the Taste). I think especially from a sound, originality and creativity standpoint, FH stands test of time better, it is fun to listen to it, but it still brings variety of moods. I appreciate sort of raw intensity and other qualities of Godbluff though. 

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 02:15
Just as I thought, Godbluff is ahead.

You get very used to Peter's vocals, btw. Now they're all part of the chaos for me lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 13:21
GG free hand
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 20:05
That's better...GG catching up. Free Hand all the way for me.

Hammill is a bit too theatrical in his singing for me. I always thought that any VdGG album would make a great stage show a la Andrew Lloyd Webber-type production. Any thoughts on that?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 11:02
^Hammill a bit too theatrical at times ? He's often downright annoying imo which is  the reason I don't often play VDGG.....the music is good and the lyrics are often very interesting but when he starts over emoting it turns me off .
I usually use the dr wu litmus test in these polls: If I had to listen an album over and over (as on a desert island) for a long time which would I go with and in this case after a few days I would probably have a nervous breakdown listening to Hammill.
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 20:39
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^Hammill a bit too theatrical at times ? He's often downright annoying imo which is  the reason I don't often play VDGG.....the music is good and the lyrics are often very interesting but when he starts over emoting it turns me off .
I usually use the dr wu litmus test in these polls: If I had to listen an album over and over (as on a desert island) for a long time which would I go with and in this case after a few days I would probably have a nervous breakdown listening to Hammill.
;)

LOL agree 100%
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 22:19

If I had to listen an album over and over (as on a desert island) for a long time which would I go with and in this case after a few days I would probably have a nervous breakdown listening to Hammill.
;)
Well, then, listen away!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 02:08
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

;)

LOL agree 100%

His voice is the biggest barrier without a doubt. When I first heard VDGG I thought the guy was yelling through a tin can on top of a hill; that's the vibe I got LOL. Like all good things, you get used to it. I try to pay more attention to the organization of the music, but I understand why most can't deal with the vocals.

mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 05:26
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

;)

LOL agree 100%

His voice is the biggest barrier without a doubt. When I first heard VDGG I thought the guy was yelling through a tin can on top of a hill; that's the vibe I got LOL. Like all good things, you get used to it. I try to pay more attention to the organization of the music, but I understand why most can't deal with the vocals.

Ha, the vocals are my favorite part of the music.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 08:46
Godbluff
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 16:11
Free Hand for me. But Godbluff is a great album, too. Tough choice.
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 16:20
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

;)

LOL agree 100%

I also have difficulties with Hamill's voice. Too theatralic, too much tremolo. Probably that was one of the reason I voted in both polls GG over VdGG. But if I only concentrate on the music, both Pawn Hearts and Godbluff are good material, probably my favourites from VdGG.

Edited by Formentera Lady - February 15 2018 at 16:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 17:09
Jeez, neck and neck yet again!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>