Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Godbluff vs Free Hand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: VDGG Godbluff or Gentle Giant Free Hand?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
45 [51.14%]
43 [48.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 09:27
Godbluff
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 04:02
Godbluff
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 05:05
what actually surprises me is that no-one considers the voice of Derek Shulman to be annoying. after all the years of having listened to both bands I still am sometimes annoyed by his vocals.

Peter Hammill's voice was quite a shock to me at first (hearing "Pawn Hearts" for the very fist time at the age of 3 in 1972 is one of my first childhood memories; my parents had bought the album), but I quickly got used to it simply because I grew up with it

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 07:46
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

what actually surprises me is that no-one considers the voice of Derek Shulman to be annoying. after all the years of having listened to both bands I still am sometimes annoyed by his vocals.
Same here. Derek's somewhat cold, hard vocals are part of why I rarely listen to most later GG-albums. Post Octopus/Phil Shulman there's very little left of the warmth and playfulness that makes Acquiring the Taste such a delight.  

Sometimes I'm not in the mood for Peter Hammill but I do love his voice. On Still Life its a little too often too much on the gruffy side for me too fully appreciate the whole album. 
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 09:23
This was probably one of the most difficult polls ever. I love both. Voted for Godbluff but could have easily gone with Free Hand.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 09:24

what actually surprises me is that no-one considers the voice of Derek Shulman to be annoying.
I do a little bit.

Peter Hammill's voice was quite a shock to me at first

I've always liked Peter Hammill's voice, though I was 17 when I first heard it. I don't understand why so many people here don't like it.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 09:29
Peter Hammill=Perfect Prog
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 10:05
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

what actually surprises me is that no-one considers the voice of Derek Shulman to be annoying.
I do a little bit.

Peter Hammill's voice was quite a shock to me at first

I've always liked Peter Hammill's voice, though I was 17 when I first heard it. I don't understand why so many people here don't like it.

as I said, I was 3 years old when I first heard "Pawn Hearts", and I had only heard a voice like that when my dad was angry

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 11:05

I do understand why so many people here don't like Hammill's voice and singing style.

Derek's voice and singing style is just perfect for the harder-rocking Giant songs.

And speaking of childhood memories: I was three and a half year old the first time I deeply fell in love. There was this girl on the huge sreen at the drive-in, her name was Leia.

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 17:36
Damn this is close!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 22:00
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

GG.......but  mostly because Hamill's voice has always annoyed me.

Definitely GG and definitely because of Hammill's voice.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
austrianprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austrianprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 08:24
If I could vote, I'd go for Godbluff. Because of Hammill's voice.

Edited by austrianprogfan - July 05 2018 at 08:24
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 08:42
Originally posted by austrianprogfan austrianprogfan wrote:

If I could vote, I'd go for Godbluff. Because of Hammill's voice.
just post some nonsense 33 times first.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 13:46
Originally Free Hand, but over the years, Godbluff has pulled ahead (to me). I still like both about the same. But I drift to GG's "positive energy" more than VDGG's "darkness and angst".

Edited by Boojieboy - July 16 2018 at 13:48
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 07:53
They're both great but I have a soft spot for Free Hand.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 00:46
Godbluff 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234