Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUplifting/Feel good Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 18:49
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Plenty of great stuff posted so far. I'll just chime in with a few of my own favourite feelgood prog albums:

Cherry Five - Cherry Five
Gotic - Escenes
Gryphon - Red Queen To Gryphon Three
Gryphon - Raindance
Yezda Urfa - Boris

Wow I haven't heard any of this, a lot to explore here.. Thanks a lot! 

You've not heard Cherry Five, boss? I'd hit that one first. Goblin precursor band.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 18:49
The Flower Kings.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 21:20
Let's see how well I remember what's been posted here already. Well, to begin with, the first band I think about for "Uplifting/Feel good" prog is Yes... but then you already know everything about them. Then there was Flower Kings... yeah, I was just suggesting stuff I don't know so well, and what I have heard from them has not been my favourite music, but I have heard their last albums, and I expect the first ones that gave them their fame to be fresher... however, just as with Spock's Beard / Neal Morse, you might end up seeking them out before myself and tell me all about it later on. Then I saw about Renaissance... I'm glad you're checking them out. I wanted to recommend them to you, but I'm not sure if I did mention them... since you already had your hands full of stuff to check out at the time, but they are great indeed. I guess you know already that I'm fond of live albums, and Renaissance is one of those bands... Live at Carnegie Hall is just wonderful, and has my favourite versions of my very favourite songs. Out of their studio albums, my favourite would be Turn of the Cards.

Then there is Big Big Train, whom I wanted to recommend too, so it's good you already got your eye on them. Since you love Genesis so much, these guys seem to be the spiritual followers of them (I never really saw such a great connection between Marillion's music and Genesis, besides the voice and theatrics of Fish, but Big Big train got that pastoral feel I love so much from Genesis in a great way). Now, I got their "new phase" stuff already, from "The Underall Yard" up to their latest album, but I definitley think their best stuff is the English Electric albums (actually I could do only with those ones), and so the best way to go would be the set "English Electric, Full Power).

And last, the one that has not been mentioned here already, is Harmonium. Just go with their Magnum Opus, the song "Histoires sans paroles"... it's just such a wonderful piece of joyful music, one wonderful passage after another, making a 17 min epic instrumental piece. The band in general has some similarities to Genesis too in their pastoral qualities too. Oh well, and it might be a good moment to remind you of Mike Oldfield too, once again =D
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 00:00
the Tangent and Rituals of Sweden are very jolly and happy, and A.C.T from same country, also try the jazz-psych-pop-rock era of Motorpsycho, Let them Eat Cake, Phanorythyme and It's a Love Cult.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 00:31
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Another one that never fails me:

Really great!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 00:35
All Wigwam albums except Being, itīs their darkest one although it also have some really good vibe songs (the rest album after Pride of the Biosphere).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 00:35
Also Jim Pembrokeīs solos.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 03:47
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

And last, the one that has not been mentioned here already, is Harmonium. Just go with their Magnum Opus, the song "Histoires sans paroles"... it's just such a wonderful piece of joyful music, one wonderful passage after another, making a 17 min epic instrumental piece. The band in general has some similarities to Genesis too in their pastoral qualities too. Oh well, and it might be a good moment to remind you of Mike Oldfield too, once again =D

I was just about to suggest them :)
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 05:49
Another great, uplifting, funny, playful, cheerful and very progressive song:

CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 14:30

If you let it, this will transport you to a magic place.

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 15:21
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Plenty of great stuff posted so far. I'll just chime in with a few of my own favourite feelgood prog albums:

Gotic - Escenes
Gryphon - Raindance
Yezda Urfa - Boris

You've not heard Cherry Five, boss? I'd hit that one first. Goblin precursor band.

Wasn't Goblin one of those bands mentioned in the other thread though? Not that it's that big a deal lol, as long as they're not truly evil or Satanic, or something like that. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 15:28
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Let's see how well I remember what's been posted here already. Well, to begin with, the first band I think about for "Uplifting/Feel good" prog is Yes... but then you already know everything about them. Then there was Flower Kings... yeah, I was just suggesting stuff I don't know so well, and what I have heard from them has not been my favourite music, but I have heard their last albums, and I expect the first ones that gave them their fame to be fresher... however, just as with Spock's Beard / Neal Morse, you might end up seeking them out before myself and tell me all about it later on. Then I saw about Renaissance... I'm glad you're checking them out. I wanted to recommend them to you, but I'm not sure if I did mention them... since you already had your hands full of stuff to check out at the time, but they are great indeed. I guess you know already that I'm fond of live albums, and Renaissance is one of those bands... Live at Carnegie Hall is just wonderful, and has my favourite versions of my very favourite songs. Out of their studio albums, my favourite would be Turn of the Cards.

Then there is Big Big Train, whom I wanted to recommend too, so it's good you already got your eye on them. Since you love Genesis so much, these guys seem to be the spiritual followers of them (I never really saw such a great connection between Marillion's music and Genesis, besides the voice and theatrics of Fish, but Big Big train got that pastoral feel I love so much from Genesis in a great way). Now, I got their "new phase" stuff already, from "The Underall Yard" up to their latest album, but I definitley think their best stuff is the English Electric albums (actually I could do only with those ones), and so the best way to go would be the set "English Electric, Full Power).

You and your Mike Oldfield lol. How about as soon as you start listening to my man Frank? Anyway, I appreciate all these suggestions bud. Yeah I like Renaissance a lot, LOVE her voice. So I'll need to check out that live album for sure. And this Harmonium, 17 minute epic instrumental, that sounds right up my alley. Thanks again friend. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 15:30
A lot of great suggestions and videos for me to check out here, awesome. Thanks a lot everybody! 
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 15:42
Santana has to be mentioned - don't miss the Fa-Bu-Lous Borboleta (I seem to have a fixation on butterflies, go figure!) - such a happy mood plenty of rhythm and joyful melodies
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 15:53
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Santana has to be mentioned - don't miss the Fa-Bu-Lous Borboleta (I seem to have a fixation on butterflies, go figure!) - such a happy mood plenty of rhythm and joyful melodies

Sounds pretty good man, thanks. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 17:32
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

The Flower Kings.

*spits beer on monitor*

he asked for uplifting.. not cures for insomnia man...    there is a reason every Flower King album I bought now exists as drink coasters...  it isn't because they are uplifting and feel good hahah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 17:36

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Gotic - Escenes
Gryphon - Raindance
Yezda Urfa - Boris

Wasn't Goblin one of those bands mentioned in the other thread though? Not that it's that big a deal lol, as long as they're not truly evil or Satanic, or something like that. 

Goblin/Cherry Five ....very different musically....  I wouldn't exactly call it uplifting or feel good...   just good ass kicking if rather by the numbers prog. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 18:12
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

The Flower Kings.

*spits beer on monitor*

he asked for uplifting.. not cures for insomnia man...    there is a reason every Flower King album I bought now exists as drink coasters...  it isn't because they are uplifting and feel good hahah

Aw come on man. Be nice.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 18:15
Beer
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 18:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Beer

Edited by HolyMoly - February 12 2018 at 18:39
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>