Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUplifting/Feel good Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 18:56
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Beer

Heart
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 19:03
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Plenty of great stuff posted so far. I'll just chime in with a few of my own favourite feelgood prog albums:

Cherry Five - Cherry Five
Gotic - Escenes
Gryphon - Red Queen To Gryphon Three
Gryphon - Raindance
Yezda Urfa - Boris

Wow I haven't heard any of this, a lot to explore here.. Thanks a lot! 

You've not heard Cherry Five, boss? I'd hit that one first. Goblin precursor band.

Wasn't Goblin one of those bands mentioned in the other thread though? Not that it's that big a deal lol, as long as they're not truly evil or Satanic, or something like that. 

Goblin mainly scored horror films, and their music is predominantly instrumental. Not "evil" or "satanic." They didn't write music for a black mass or anything. They're proggers first.

Cherry Five had a vocalist and owes more to Yes and Genesis. You'll dig it. 
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 21:09
Three albums that I can think of at the moment that I think are on the positive side of the negative-positive spectrum but might not be considered by others:

Tasavallan Presidentti Milky Way Moses
Toe For Long Tomorrow
Fred Frith Gravity

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 22:41

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Let's see how well I remember what's been posted here already. Well, to begin with, the first band I think about for "Uplifting/Feel good" prog is Yes... but then you already know everything about them. Then there was Flower Kings... yeah, I was just suggesting stuff I don't know so well, and what I have heard from them has not been my favourite music, but I have heard their last albums, and I expect the first ones that gave them their fame to be fresher... however, just as with Spock's Beard / Neal Morse, you might end up seeking them out before myself and tell me all about it later on. Then I saw about Renaissance... I'm glad you're checking them out. I wanted to recommend them to you, but I'm not sure if I did mention them... since you already had your hands full of stuff to check out at the time, but they are great indeed. I guess you know already that I'm fond of live albums, and Renaissance is one of those bands... Live at Carnegie Hall is just wonderful, and has my favourite versions of my very favourite songs. Out of their studio albums, my favourite would be Turn of the Cards.

Then there is Big Big Train, whom I wanted to recommend too, so it's good you already got your eye on them. Since you love Genesis so much, these guys seem to be the spiritual followers of them (I never really saw such a great connection between Marillion's music and Genesis, besides the voice and theatrics of Fish, but Big Big train got that pastoral feel I love so much from Genesis in a great way). Now, I got their "new phase" stuff already, from "The Underall Yard" up to their latest album, but I definitley think their best stuff is the English Electric albums (actually I could do only with those ones), and so the best way to go would be the set "English Electric, Full Power).

And last, the one that has not been mentioned here already, is Harmonium. Just go with their Magnum Opus, the song "Histoires sans paroles"... it's just such a wonderful piece of joyful music, one wonderful passage after another, making a 17 min epic instrumental piece. The band in general has some similarities to Genesis too in their pastoral qualities too. Oh well, and it might be a good moment to remind you of Mike Oldfield too, once again =D

You and your Mike Oldfield lol. How about as soon as you start listening to my man Frank? Anyway, I appreciate all these suggestions bud. Yeah I like <span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18.2px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">Renaissance a lot, LOVE her voice. So I'll need to check out that live album for sure. And this Harmonium, 17 minute epic instrumental, that sounds right up my alley. Thanks again friend. </span>
Oh, if you like the idea of epic instrumentals, then once again, Mike Oldfield. All four albums from the seventies are side-long instrumental songs... well, perhaps Tubular Bells not exactly... but whatever, that's the point. However, they may not have the most complex players you could find, specially when Oldfield himself tried to play a wide variaty of the instruments... it's more relaxed and soft. But however, I guess you should at least check him out. Try Ommadawn first =D
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 22:54
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Three albums that I can think of at the moment that I think are on the positive side of the negative-positive spectrum but might not be considered by others:

Tasavallan Presidentti Milky Way Moses

All Tasavallan Presidentti´s (that means the president of republic for all of you don´t know) albums have a really good vibes! What I recommend to start is Lambert Land. Really spiritual one, although Milky Way is also really close. And one that comes into my mind from that fact Presidentti is playing in the back of his first album is Pekka Streng. Really good vibes in his both albums!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 22:56

Oh, if you like the idea of epic instrumentals, then once again, Mike Oldfield. All four albums from the seventies are side-long instrumental songs... well, perhaps Tubular Bells not exactly... but whatever, that's the point. However, they may not have the most complex players you could find, specially when Oldfield himself tried to play a wide variaty of the instruments... it's more relaxed and soft. But however, I guess you should at least check him out. Try Ommadawn first =D
Ommadawn really has so warm atmosphere! Also the second part of it (return to...).
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 02:21
Instrumental progressive spacerock always gets me going :D

Ozric Tentacles
Hidria Spacefolk
Bland Bladen
Mantric Muse
Quantum Fantay
Kataya

They are all inspired by Gong, Camel and the likes.
But they don't have lyrics and mostly weird titles, and sometimes they rock hard.
But the more laidback tracks often have a dreamy feel to it. Can't go wrong there :)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 15:26
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Instrumental progressive spacerock always gets me going :D

Ozric Tentacles
Hidria Spacefolk
Bland Bladen
Mantric Muse
Quantum Fantay
Kataya

They are all inspired by Gong, Camel and the likes.
But they don't have lyrics and mostly weird titles, and sometimes they rock hard.
But the more laidback tracks often have a dreamy feel to it. Can't go wrong there :)

I second this. There isn't a somber note in the Ozrics' discography!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 17:07

Haha, thanks again man for the recommendation. But you know, you don't want to try Zappa because of the 'strange noises' long loud burps, etc. General weirdness that he's famous for. Well I also am hesitant to try this Oldfield person because he did soundtrack for The Exorcist. It's just one of those things I think. You have your guy and I have mine, and could be that neither is right for the other person. Or something. Anyway thanks again man, I know you mean well with all of your suggestions that you give me. Cheers.  
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 17:12

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Plenty of great stuff posted so far. I'll just chime in with a few of my own favourite feelgood prog albums:

Cherry Five - Cherry Five
Gotic - Escenes
Gryphon - Red Queen To Gryphon Three
Gryphon - Raindance
Yezda Urfa - Boris

Wow I haven't heard any of this, a lot to explore here.. Thanks a lot! 

You've not heard Cherry Five, boss? I'd hit that one first. Goblin precursor band.

Wasn't Goblin one of those bands mentioned in the other thread though? Not that it's that big a deal lol, as long as they're not truly evil or Satanic, or something like that. 

Goblin mainly scored horror films, and their music is predominantly instrumental. Not "evil" or "satanic." They didn't write music for a black mass or anything. They're proggers first.

Cherry Five had a vocalist and owes more to Yes and Genesis. You'll dig it. 

I'm very hesitant to be honest. But thank you for your recommendations. I still remember you're the one who introduced me to the Japanese Wakeman! 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 17:14
Wow, even more for me to listen to now. I don't think I'll be able to get to all of it in 10 lifetimes lol. Anyway, thank you all very much again. You're awesome. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 21:10
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Ommadawn really has so warm atmosphere! Also the second part of it (return to...).

Yes, I really loved Return to Ommadawn too... not as much as the first one, that's one of my very favourite pieces of music, but it's no lesser album at all anyway. Hardly will you find someone who came back to the style of music that made him famous is the first place, during his classic era, to name it some way, some 30 years later, and créate something really worthy of his earlier Works, without sounding tired or just going through the motions.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 21:29

Haha, thanks again man for the recommendation. But you know, you don't want to try Zappa because of the 'strange noises' long loud burps, etc. General weirdness that he's famous for. Well I also am hesitant to try this Oldfield person because he did soundtrack for The Exorcist. It's just one of those things I think. You have your guy and I have mine, and could be that neither is right for the other person. Or something. Anyway thanks again man, I know you mean well with all of your suggestions that you give me. Cheers.  

So that's the reason you are hesitant about Mike Oldfield. But you got it upside down. Oldfield didn't write the music for The Exorcist, he wrote a piece of music he really needed to do, and some years later some guy involved with the movie happened to hear the music and thought it would work nicely, because of the eerie atmosphere, I would guess. Actually, I have never liked horror movies, and I have never seen that one... and an extra reason for not wanting to see it is exactly because I don't want to relate that beautiful piece of music with that story (more tan I already do just because I know where it was used). Really, the music has nothing to do with demons and possesions and whatever, and I might want to remember (perhaps wrongly) that Oldfield himself wasn't at all happy about that turn of events because that's not what his music was all about (just listen to the whole álbum, you'll se how after the intro, that is the part used on the movie, the music goes into such beautiful dreamy places... until the caveman comes in... and then the sailor... but that's another story, just like Zappa's fooling around with his own music). Actually, if you listen to the intro without that movie's preconception, you'll find it is beautiful and doesn't have to evoke anything from it. And then there's the other albums from the 70's, full of beautiful moments.

And even more, if you are still hesitant, then perhaps you can try the 2003 re-recording, which is actually the one that I have. I don't really know how different it is, but Oldfield seems to have been trying to recreate it the most faithfully possible. It seems he was not satisfied with some issues from the original because of his lack of experience recording music at the time... he was 19 or whatever, and wrote, played, and recorded most of the piece by himself. However, I remember once, in a review or a forum discussion, someone mentioned (as a detriment for him for the re-recording) that the new recording lost some of it's eerie atmosphere, and he didn't think it would have made it into the movie if that had been the way originally recorded.

Now, for Zappa, I really haven't gotten into it. The recommendations given to me seem to have been good places to start... only that I usually check out new music through internet at the office while working (I got a better connection there), but I haven't given myself the time to open the fórum there and look for the thread and see the albums recommended. But I guess I really should do it... I only need to find those posts again.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 22:05

So that's the reason you are hesitant about Mike Oldfield. But you got it upside down. Oldfield didn't write the music for The Exorcist, he wrote a piece of music he really needed to do, and some years later some guy involved with the movie happened to hear the music and thought it would work nicely, because of the eerie atmosphere, I would guess. Actually, I have never liked horror movies, and I have never seen that one... and an extra reason for not wanting to see it is exactly because I don't want to relate that beautiful piece of music with that story (more tan I already do just because I know where it was used). Really, the music has nothing to do with demons and possesions and whatever, and I might want to remember (perhaps wrongly) that Oldfield himself wasn't at all happy about that turn of events because that's not what his music was all about (just listen to the whole álbum, you'll se how after the intro, that is the part used on the movie, the music goes into such beautiful dreamy places... until the caveman comes in... and then the sailor... but that's another story, just like Zappa's fooling around with his own music). Actually, if you listen to the intro without that movie's preconception, you'll find it is beautiful and doesn't have to evoke anything from it. And then there's the other albums from the 70's, full of beautiful moments.

And even more, if you are still hesitant, then perhaps you can try the 2003 re-recording, which is actually the one that I have. I don't really know how different it is, but Oldfield seems to have been trying to recreate it the most faithfully possible. It seems he was not satisfied with some issues from the original because of his lack of experience recording music at the time... he was 19 or whatever, and wrote, played, and recorded most of the piece by himself. However, I remember once, in a review or a forum discussion, someone mentioned (as a detriment for him for the re-recording) that the new recording lost some of it's eerie atmosphere, and he didn't think it would have made it into the movie if that had been the way originally recorded.

Now, for Zappa, I really haven't gotten into it. The recommendations given to me seem to have been good places to start... only that I usually check out new music through internet at the office while working (I got a better connection there), but I haven't given myself the time to open the fórum there and look for the thread and see the albums recommended. But I guess I really should do it... I only need to find those posts again.

Here man, I'll make this easier for you so you're not looking all over this forum while at work. It's this page here(page 6 of this thread - the suggestions start slightly more than halfway down the page)..

Edited by YESESIS - February 13 2018 at 22:06
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 22:47

Yes, I really loved Return to Ommadawn too... not as much as the first one, that's one of my very favourite pieces of music, but it's no lesser album at all anyway. Hardly will you find someone who came back to the style of music that made him famous is the first place, during his classic era, to name it some way, some 30 years later, and créate something really worthy of his earlier Works, without sounding tired or just going through the motions.
So true. Specially when he didn´t succeed even near as great with Tubular (second version is the only worth listening after the first one).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 22:49

Hot Rats was the one highly recommended from me and also someone else to you. No more excuses to get into Zappa! Wink
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 02:32
Mike Oldfield is the inventor of new-age music, some people say.
He's the most positive hippie-musician I can think of (and Jon Anderson, but they worked together).

Mike Oldfield has nothing to do with horror movies. His first four albums are pure pastoral symphonic folky worldmusic
Not trying Mike Oldfield because of one stupid movie is silly. Please give him a try.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 06:49
Jon and Vangelis Heaven and Hell fits the bill for me. I wasn't that keen on it only a couple of years ago, but I really enjoyed here the other day.

Another one, completely unlike the previous, is the Samla Mammas Manna debut. I challenge anyone to put this baby on and not leave with a big smile on their face.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 10:24
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Another one, completely unlike the previous, is the Samla Mammas Manna debut. I challenge anyone to put this baby on and not leave with a big smile on their face.
Just about prog's ultimate feel good and fun album.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 11:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>