Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUplifting/Feel good Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 11:11
Transatlantic, of course.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 13:15
Rockpommel's Land by Grobbschnitt was fun, in my recollection.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 13:24
A lot of Jazz fusion just gets me re-invigorated how ever tired or low I feel at the end of the day; Head hunter by Herbie Hancock, Inner voices by Ruphus, Brand X Moroccan roll, any of the lps by Brian Auger's Oblivion express or Masques, Romantic warrior by Return to forever, pretty much any Pat Metheny or Weather report.

Be good to yourself at least once a day by Man has to have an honourable mention for being an lp that's cheered me over the years as have pretty much any lp by Little Feat, particularly the live 'Waiting for columbus' or 'Time loves a hero'.. ok not particularly prog but summer time good time music.

I agree regarding a lot of instrumental space rock, particularly The Ozrics, and my one of my favourites, New age of Earth by Ashra 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 14:19
^Speaking of Ashra, 25+ years later, I still can't get enough of Correlations. Timeless music!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 15:54
Thanks so much again everyone for all the terrific suggestions. I keep seeing the name Samla Mammas Manna come up over and over, so that's probably a good place for me to start..
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 16:02
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Now, for Zappa, I really haven't gotten into it. The recommendations given to me seem to have been good places to start... only that I usually check out new music through internet at the office while working (I got a better connection there), but I haven't given myself the time to open the fórum there and look for the thread and see the albums recommended. But I guess I really should do it... I only need to find those posts again.
Hot Rats was the one highly recommended from me and also someone else to you. No more excuses to get into Zappa! Wink

Yeah that album is very good but I slightly prefer One Size Fits All. The Grand Wazoo is obviously great as well though he might not like the For Calvin song(but Eat That Question and Blessed Relief are both REALLY good). 

Dellinger, just let me know if you do try some of these Zappa albums(you certainly don't have to but I can't imagine you not liking it). And then I guess I'll try some Mike Oldfield.. I don't think I'll like it but you never know. 

Edited by YESESIS - February 14 2018 at 16:06
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 16:40
Mahavishnu Orchestra is a spiritual ensemble.  However, their music may be a bit much for some.  This guitar trio featuring John Mclaughlin fits the bill nicely.

CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 16:41
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 21:41
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

So that's the reason you are hesitant about Mike Oldfield. But you got it upside down. Oldfield didn't write the music for The Exorcist, he wrote a piece of music he really needed to do, and some years later some guy involved with the movie happened to hear the music and thought it would work nicely, because of the eerie atmosphere, I would guess. Actually, I have never liked horror movies, and I have never seen that one... and an extra reason for not wanting to see it is exactly because I don't want to relate that beautiful piece of music with that story (more tan I already do just because I know where it was used). Really, the music has nothing to do with demons and possesions and whatever, and I might want to remember (perhaps wrongly) that Oldfield himself wasn't at all happy about that turn of events because that's not what his music was all about (just listen to the whole álbum, you'll se how after the intro, that is the part used on the movie, the music goes into such beautiful dreamy places... until the caveman comes in... and then the sailor... but that's another story, just like Zappa's fooling around with his own music). Actually, if you listen to the intro without that movie's preconception, you'll find it is beautiful and doesn't have to evoke anything from it. And then there's the other albums from the 70's, full of beautiful moments.

And even more, if you are still hesitant, then perhaps you can try the 2003 re-recording, which is actually the one that I have. I don't really know how different it is, but Oldfield seems to have been trying to recreate it the most faithfully possible. It seems he was not satisfied with some issues from the original because of his lack of experience recording music at the time... he was 19 or whatever, and wrote, played, and recorded most of the piece by himself. However, I remember once, in a review or a forum discussion, someone mentioned (as a detriment for him for the re-recording) that the new recording lost some of it's eerie atmosphere, and he didn't think it would have made it into the movie if that had been the way originally recorded.

Now, for Zappa, I really haven't gotten into it. The recommendations given to me seem to have been good places to start... only that I usually check out new music through internet at the office while working (I got a better connection there), but I haven't given myself the time to open the fórum there and look for the thread and see the albums recommended. But I guess I really should do it... I only need to find those posts again.

Here man, I'll make this easier for you so you're not looking all over this forum while at work. It's this page here(page 6 of this thread - the suggestions start slightly more than halfway down the page)..
[URL=http://progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112493&PN=6" rel="nofollow][/URL]

Ha ha. Thanks a lot. So in the end it's mostly The Grand Wazoo, Hot Rats, and One Size fits all, it seems. I guess I'll have to give a listen at least to one of those tomorrow.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 21:54

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Hot Rats was the one highly recommended from me and also someone else to you. No more excuses to get into Zappa! Wink

Yeah that album is very good but I slightly prefer One Size Fits All. The Grand Wazoo is obviously great as well though he might not like the For Calvin song(but Eat That Question and Blessed Relief are both REALLY good). 

Dellinger, just let me know if you do try some of these Zappa albums(you certainly don't have to but I can't imagine you not liking it). And then I guess I'll try some Mike Oldfield.. I don't think I'll like it but you never know. 

Now, what is it you think you won't like? The connection to The Exorcist... well, I already tried to explain the way things happened and my point of view about that one, but if you're still not convinced there's not much to do about it. You don't like the music from that bit you already know from said movie? Then that would be like judging Yes for Owner of a Lonely Heart (or Pink Floyd for Another Brick in the Wall 2, but you don't really like Floyd much anyway). However, there's a thing that might actually work against your apreciation. I have got the impression you don't really like those bands that go a bit more simple, or soft, or pop (because of your disregard to Pink Floyd), so perhaps there might be a slight similarity from Oldfield on that aproach (not that the music is really all that similar, except for the long músical passages... in the case of Oldfield his songs are mostly all instrumental... in the 70's they were totally instrumental). But come on, if you are liking the idea of side-long instrumentals, you must at least give it a fair listen (once again, perhaps not at first listen... when I checked out his songs on YouTube without paying them their fair attention they didn't really click with me, I actually had to buy the albums and listen to them with more attention. Now he's among my favourite 5 artists, and those 70's albums are among the most special pieces of music I can think of.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 22:21
Mama Frog by Ambrosia.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 10:29
Twelfth Night – "The Ceiling Speaks" (Live at Reading Festival, '83)

Edited by verslibre - February 15 2018 at 10:30
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 11:23
^ The Love Songs is more uplifting.

Most of Geoff Mann's lyrics are rather cynical and dark. Love Song has more optimistic lyrics.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 14:13
"The Ceiling Speaks"

I am the ceiling, you are the floor above me rising into real
I am deceiving, you are the honesty I pray that I could feel
I am confusion, you are the thought that heals clarity of vision
I am delusions, you are the target struck a shot of pure precision
And how I love you

Some may say it’s all unreal, that’s not the way I feel
My heartbeat dance and play, nothing more to say…

How well you know me, how much you show me
As you lead me to my goal
Ferryman row me across deep waters to the calm side of my soul
Where we can beachcomb

(Chorus)

Trace the feeling back to source
Adopt a different kind of course
The change of heart, another place to start
Secret steps are in your dance, the offer of a second chance
The site renewed, a clearer point of view
No longer need a careful plan, no longer be the also ran
I laid my life down and I picked it up again

Freedom! Along the way
I sing celebration I sing for the new day
Freedom! Now I know
So long as we’re together, there’s nowhere that we cannot go

I called your name, no words remained … enter!
I am delivered, I am a baby born into your sacred peace
I was a prisoner
You were the key that opened locks for my release
And Christ I love you

(Chorus)

Nothing more to say…

ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 15:08
Try listening to Moon Safari's album "Blomljud."

I typically like minor-key, melancholy sounds/melodies, and avoid "happier" sounding stuff... but Blomljud is one exception for me, I just love it more and more with each repeated listening.   
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 16:37
Again thank you all for the great suggestions, I'll try to listen to as many of them as I can. 

Dellinger, I just listened to all of Ommadawn(from start to finish) and it was... surprisingly good. I love that it was all instrumental and it was quite interesting. During parts of it I was thinking that it would work well for my meditation. So thank you again for the recommendation. I didn't really want to do it, but you turned out to be right.. of course. 
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 19:10
I feel Moon Safari - Blomljud is the most upbeat positive prog album since 2000.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 15 2018 at 19:12
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 20:59

Again thank you all for the great suggestions, I'll try to listen to as many of them as I can. 

Dellinger, I just listened to all of Ommadawn(from start to finish) and it was... surprisingly good. I love that it was all instrumental and it was quite interesting. During parts of it I was thinking that it would work well for my meditation. So thank you again for the recommendation. I didn't really want to do it, but you turned out to be right.. of course. 

With luck it will grow on you. The key for that álbum is, I think, the first 3 or 4 minutes... for me they are really another thing. From there you might want to keep on listening to it all. I mostly love side one... side two is a bit of a mixed bag, but 1 is so good that it makes it one of my favourite albums. Now, there's more of that among his 70's albums (his first 4 albums)... the other wonderful hook for me is in Incantation's last 4 or 5 minutes... actually, I first Heard both exceprpts from a best of álbum. The beginning of side 2 of Hergest Ridge is also very beautiful.

On the other hand, I did get on to listen to Hot Rats today... still I've got more listening to do for it to grow on me. It was actually very good... but perhaps too much like jamming, and though it might make a wonderful listening while doing other things, I'm not sure I would really love it for paying attention to it and as songs with more melody... or perhaps my problema was exactly that I was doing other things and not paying enough attention (that could, actually, be a very big problem to get into Oldfield). I go again with my live albums, but because of his jamming nature, I feel his live albums should be very good, and once again perhaps better than the studio ones. Perhaps once I give those 3 albums a fair listen I should check out wich might be his best live ones. I remember having heard on some Face-book groups some songs from Zappa... many didn't interest me, but I do remember having liked Cosmic Blues and Bobby Brown... maybe I would need to listen to them again, but I did notice those ones weren't on any of the 3 albums suggested (which actually coincide with the highest rated ones on PA).
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 12:18
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

The Flower Kings.

*spits beer on monitor*

he asked for uplifting.. not cures for insomnia man...    there is a reason every Flower King album I bought now exists as drink coasters...  it isn't because they are uplifting and feel good hahah
Don't listen to that guy as he appears to have a very bizarre taste in prog music. The Flower Kings are awesome. Oh, and derivative doesn't mean bad.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 02:06
How good i forget these:

United Progressive Fraternity
and
Unitopia

and recently (today) discovered:

Damanek
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>