FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedopeth decadence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: opeth decadence
    Posted: September 09 2005 at 10:36

First of all, i would like to wonder if Opeth are a really prog band. I think that they have such elements in their music in order to admit their progressiveness, but the discussion field could remain open, as well, because i sill see them as a death metal band more than a prog band.

Anyway, i would like to comment that opeth have ceased to be in their last album, which i do find it completely boring, and which it shows a full lack of inspiration. In my personal opinion, it seems that they have abandoned their absolutely great style of playing metal (i think they have been the best metal band in the last 15 years) in order to put a lot of "dream theater" elements in their music that... doesn't suit them. I am not against style evolution and those things, but my impression about opeht's new release is that they've lost their "surpriseness" and "freshness", if we compare "Ghost reveries" with any of their predecesors...

I comment all this because i have only seen excellent reviews about their last album here, and the question is that i am afraid that it is their worst work ever.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 10:41

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion ... but apparently most people think it's their best album, and I'm one of them.

I can hear absolutely NO Dream Theater elements in Ghost Reveries ... some Tool, some Dead Soul Tribe maybe ... but definitely no Dream Theater.

Why don't you write a review? Or maybe you should give it some more time ... I don't know how long you've been listening to the album.

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 15:32
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion ... but apparently most people think it's their best album, and I'm one of them.

I can hear absolutely NO Dream Theater elements in Ghost Reveries ... some Tool, some Dead Soul Tribe maybe ... but definitely no Dream Theater.

Why don't you write a review? Or maybe you should give it some more time ... I don't know how long you've been listening to the album.

Well said, Mike. How is Opeth not a Progressive Metal band?

Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 15:42
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

After hearing all the hype about these guys, what would you say is a good album to start on, King of Loss? I'm becoming.....interested in them.

Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 16:35
Originally posted by Arsillus Arsillus wrote:

After hearing all the hype about these guys, what would you say is a good album to start on, King of Loss? I'm becoming.....interested in them.

Ya like extreme metal or art rock? Try Damnation & Blackwater Park (pond) maybe...

Ty1020 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 16:43
I diagree completely, actually... I think Ghost Reveries is much more original and fresh than most of their more recent material. The songwriting is miles ahead of what they've been doing recently, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I love BWP and Damnation (although Deliverance, I could live without), but in terms of original songwriting, I like Ghost Reveries a lot more and find it to be much more progressive.
GFoyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 17:45
Ghost Reveries went straight to the top of the list of my favorite Opeth
albums. I really like that it is a bit more varied that their previous releases.
SomethingGood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 17:47
Originally posted by sabian sabian wrote:

First of all, i would like to wonder if Opeth are a really prog band. I think that they have such elements in their music in order to admit their progressiveness, but the discussion field could remain open, as well, because i sill see them as a death metal band more than a prog band.

Anyway, i would like to comment that opeth have ceased to be in their last album, which i do find it completely boring, and which it shows a full lack of inspiration. In my personal opinion, it seems that they have abandoned their absolutely great style of playing metal (i think they have been the best metal band in the last 15 years) in order to put a lot of "dream theater" elements in their music that... doesn't suit them. I am not against style evolution and those things, but my impression about opeht's new release is that they've lost their "surpriseness" and "freshness", if we compare "Ghost reveries" with any of their predecesors...

I comment all this because i have only seen excellent reviews about their last album here, and the question is that i am afraid that it is their worst work ever.

you're wrong. about everything.

opeth are a prog band.
ghost reveries isn't boring.
ghost reveries shows bucketloads of inspiration.
opeth haven't abandoned their stlyle of playing metal, they've just added to it and hugely improved it.
i dont hear any dream theater.
ghost reveries surprised me, because it was completely fresh; i was expecting opeth to become more mainstream, they haven't.
ghost reveries deserves the high reviews, it's their best work to date.

usually i try to respect other people's opinions when i post, but i truly believe that every point you made was completely wrong. sorry.

Click the image. CLICK IT!!!
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 17:54
Originally posted by SomethingGood SomethingGood wrote:

you're wrong. about everything.

opeth are a prog band.
ghost reveries isn't boring.
ghost reveries shows bucketloads of inspiration.
opeth haven't abandoned their stlyle of playing metal, they've just added to it and hugely improved it.
i dont hear any dream theater.
ghost reveries surprised me, because it was completely fresh; i was expecting opeth to become more mainstream, they haven't.
ghost reveries deserves the high reviews, it's their best work to date.

usually i try to respect other people's opinions when i post, but i truly believe that every point you made was completely wrong. sorry.

Completely agreed.  I think someone switched Sabian's copy of Ghost Reveries with Octavarium and didn't tell him.  It's the only logical conclusion, I don't think anyone could write the post he did from listening to Ghost Reveries, no one's *that* stupid.
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 17:54
Originally posted by Ed_The_Dead Ed_The_Dead wrote:

Ya like extreme metal or art rock? Try Damnation & Blackwater Park (pond) maybe...

Thanks.

Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 18:09

Thanks.

Damnation is great art rocky Anathemisquie kinda music while Blackwater PArk is said 2 be their greatest album.. But WHy Don't You just buy Ghost Reveries.. It beats Blackwater Park IMO
R.Darkmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 18:43

Thanks.

Damnation is great art rocky Anathemisquie kinda music while Blackwater PArk is said 2 be their greatest album.. But WHy Don't You just buy Ghost Reveries.. It beats Blackwater Park IMO

Indeed Opeth has evolved like crazy during all this years. Wonder if someday the inspiration will die..
I'm not antisocial, I just don't like wasting my breath...
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 18:53
I love Ghost Reveries BUT i like Blackwater Park more
R.Darkmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 19:08
I think Blackwater Park is more catchy and it was my fav... but Ghost Reveries pwns! 
I'm not antisocial, I just don't like wasting my breath...
Hawkeye View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 19:10

your opinion is balls

Progslut View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 21:04

My definition of Opeth = progressive BLACK metal, not prog metal...

...But Opeth is a unique band - nothing sounds like Opeth...

The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 21:06
Originally posted by Progslut Progslut wrote:

My definition of Opeth = progressive BLACK metal, not prog metal...

...But Opeth is a unique band - nothing sounds like Opeth...

they're more death than black

Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 21:22
Agreed, Opeth had some SLIGHT black influence in the first two albums in the vocals, but that's *it*.
Progslut View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 21:25

I meant Progressive DEATH, they say they are HEAVILY influenced by Morbid Angel (Death!)

Not much into DEATH/BLACK but I love OPETH

Progslut View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 21:36

Can`t wait for the gig....19/9... Nine days....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>