Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Songs that took you the longest time to get into
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSongs that took you the longest time to get into

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Songs that took you the longest time to get into
    Posted: February 11 2018 at 19:44
What are songs that took you more than three listenings/several months to love, and why do you think you took so long to love it? I'm pretty sure that this might have been brought up elsewhere, but I don't want to try to find it. This question is very dear to me, as basically all of my favorite prog songs took some time to get into; for example, I keep a list of my favorite songs ranked, from 1- ∞, and songs that are now in my top 25 of all time, i.e. "Close to the Edge", "Shine on You Crazy Diamond", "Supper's Ready", "Thick as a Brick", used to be outside of the top 100/200!

"Close to the Edge" was the most important example of this: the first time I listened to it, I thought it was horrible/too "weird" and never wanted to listen to Yes again, the second time I listened to it, a couple months later, I could actually remember passages from it, but the memorable parts weren't even that to my ears at that time - but I was persistent, because I had read online (maybe from this website, I can't remember though) that "CTTE" was one of the best prog songs ever, so I desperately wanted to "get" that opinion; finally on my third listen (several months later) I found the gold I was searching for: the "I Get Up, I Get Down" finale clicked for the first time, and as I sang along to the impossibly high vocals of Anderson, I felt that for the first time, I understood what the song's, and prog as a whole's, appeal was: progressing towards a cathartic, beautiful melody that makes you want to close your eyes, fist pump and point your head to the sky in sheer, emotional glory... and all that was NOT achieved on the first, second, and to a lesser extent the third time I listened to that song, because anticipating that climactic moment after remembering your last listening to the song gets you deeper into the experience of listening to it.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 20:02
The whole TOMMY opera. It took me a while to really get into it. Though I liked it at first listen, it was a while before I could appreciate it as much as I do now.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 20:14
Abacab, the entire record.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 23:55
Most prog albums I love. I was 10-11 ages when I started to love prog. Very common was, that there were one or two pieces I love immediately, but the whole album grow slowly.
Mista-Gordie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 01:55
All of Mike Oldfield' "Incantations". It's such an engaging record, even more so than anything else he did, including "Amarok". I clicked instantly with all his albums from "Tubular bells" to "Discovery" but this one took me so much longer to get into. Now I consider it up there with "Ommadawn" among his truly greatest moments. Very minimalist in its compositionnal approach, and yet so intricate.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 03:46
Tangerine Dream's Zeit. It collected powder for years before I attempted it again and it happened to become one of my all tie favorites.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 04:09
Thick as a Brick took a loooong time to click for me.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - February 12 2018 at 04:09

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 04:16
not the longest time, but Supper's ready, for the quirky "A flower?" section. Still not my favorite song on Foxtrot, never was. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 07:51
Originally posted by Mista-Gordie Mista-Gordie wrote:

All of Mike Oldfield' "Incantations". It's such an engaging record, even more so than anything else he did, including "Amarok". I clicked instantly with all his albums from "Tubular bells" to "Discovery" but this one took me so much longer to get into. Now I consider it up there with "Ommadawn" among his truly greatest moments. Very minimalist in its compositionnal approach, and yet so intricate.

Same here. I only rediscovered it very recently, inspired by a thread here about it. I first heard it when I was 15 or so and was disappointed how boring it was compared with what else I knew of Oldfield. I have a much better understanding of minimalism now, that may have helped, perhaps some more life and music experience. I probably could've got into it 5 years later or so but by then it had disappeared from my radar so it had to wait until now when I'm over 50.

Also "Zeit", for which the hour came some years ago.

Edited by Lewian - February 12 2018 at 07:52
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 12:22
Sound Chaser...still waiting for the light bulb to click on the cha-cha-cha section Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - February 12 2018 at 12:23
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 12:41
Probably The Necromancer and Fountain of Lamneth by Rush. 
I was introduced to Rush around 1980 and Caress of Steel was the second album I bought. I was thinking to myself, what is this sh*t! 

Edited by Jeffro - February 12 2018 at 12:41
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 12:52
Wobblers 2017 album.  Just cannot get into..  Gave this at least 20 listens,  hoping somehow I would break,  but I just find it tiresome and boring.  Confused   Giving this album a break for now and will look again later,  in a few months time. :)

Edited by noni - February 12 2018 at 12:54
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 16:19
Exiles -
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 17:15
OR: How many times has one to go to The Louvre to "learn" appreciating La Gioconda ?

The concept of forcing me to listen to some music in the hope that someday will be able to like it (when it didn't click in the first place) - this is completely alien to me - never did and guess will never do.

Something completely different  is to love a music even more as I come to discover its nuances with new listens - this happens to me all the time, of course, like to anybody.

Basic, basic thoughts but worth to explain why I'm incapable of giving an example for "...the longest time to get into..."
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 17:29
oh that is easy!!!!

took years to finally get it... and once it clicked it went from being my least favorite to not just absolute favorite on the album.. but pretty much all the way to being favorite overall tack by the band.

Yes - The Ancient.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 17:29
I don't know about individual songs but the entire "clutching at straws" album by Marillion took me a while to get into. 

mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 19:29
The album that has taken me forever to get into is Murder Ballads by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. Stagger Lee and O'Malley's Bar instantly had me hooked, but I am so glad that I can appreciate the rest of the album now.

Frank Zappa took me awhile to get into - his whole discography. It started with Sheik Yerbouti for me, and then I was able to branch into Apostrophe ('), Joe's Garage, and Hot Rats. The improvisations come naturally for me, but the comedy was what took a long time to grow - the lyrics in general, actually.

One very recent album that has been a tremendous grower is In the Passing Light of Day, by Pain of Salvation. This albums is a true masterpiece because each listen reveals new nuances, and more and more elements can be discovered behind the craziness and held-back tension that is this album.

Oh, and one more. Darwin, by Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, has been one heck of a grower. Francesco Di Giacomo's voice does wonders. L'evoluzione is one of the best songs of all time.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 19:52
Three Friends by Gentle Giant is another one for me. Also, "tormato" and "wind and wuthering."
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 20:31

Although this thread is about songs, for me albums are more relevant to the topic.

Many years ago, VdGG's World Record was my first exposure to the group, and musically very different to anything I had heard before. I didn't like it at first but gave it a second chance, which led me to see value in the music. A few more listens and I saw VdGG as a group worth exploring further. The second VdGG album I heard was Pawn Hearts which I instantly fell in love with. Third was The Quite Zone / The Pleasure Dome which seemed more mainstream to me and I liked it. Next were H To He, Who Am The Only One and Godbluff, but these did not appeal to me immediately, and it took a few listens for me to see their beauty. I still can't seem to get into Still Life although I do like some of it. This sentence from the VdGG biography very much rings true to me: "For lot of us their music has proven to be very hard to get into, but it is even harder to live without it once you've acquired a taste for the band."

An album that for quite a long time I thought was tediously boring was Stanley Clarke's Journey To Love. And then it clicked! I fell in love with that album, and now it is a favourite of mine.

More recently, Maudlin Of The Well's Part The Second took a few listens for it to grab me, and grab me it did, becoming one of my most favourite albums. When I first listened to that album, I didn't know what to think of it. Although it didn't really appeal to me, there was something about the album that made me want to listen to it again, and again, and ...

Edited by I prophesy disaster - February 12 2018 at 20:32
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 22:35
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

The album that has taken me forever to get into is Murder Ballads by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. Stagger Lee and O'Malley's Bar instantly had me hooked, but I am so glad that I can appreciate the rest of the album now.

I have been a huge Cave-fan so long, but when Murder Ballads came, I thought very long now heīs failed with that one. Of course I loved Henry Lee and Wild Roses immediately, but rest of the album just didnīt give me anything. Now I like the whole album, although it really isn`t still my favourites.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>