FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed some help with lyrics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some help with lyrics
    Posted: February 16 2018 at 01:19
Ok so the song Apparitions by Long Distance Calling is mainly instrumental. But at 8:30-8:46 in the song there is something uttered in there and I really cant tell what it is. Ive looked around a bit and pretty much every site just says instrumental for lyrics. If anyone knows what is said, please let me know. 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 04:55
Originally posted by Burlybear45 Burlybear45 wrote:

Ok so the song Apparitions by Long Distance Calling is mainly instrumental. But at 8:30-8:46 in the song there is something uttered in there and I really cant tell what it is. Ive looked around a bit and pretty much every site just says instrumental for lyrics. If anyone knows what is said, please let me know. 

I listened to the passage. The voice actually says "Atmet!" twice, the second time with a little pause between the two syllables ("Atmet! At-met!").

This is German for "Breathe!" (in the plural form; the singular form would be "Atme!"; the distinction between singular and plural gets lost in the English translation).

This makes sense because Long Distance Calling are a band from Münster, a German city.

Edited by BaldFriede - February 16 2018 at 05:26

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Burlybear45 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 18:45
Thank you!
Granted I don't hear that when I listen but Im also not fluent in German so what do I know. 
I hear something completely different. Did you have a source or did you just figure it out from listening?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 02:59
Originally posted by Burlybear45 Burlybear45 wrote:

Thank you!
Granted I don't hear that when I listen but Im also not fluent in German so what do I know. 
I hear something completely different. Did you have a source or did you just figure it out from listening?

I think it is quite obvious for a native German speaker, and I happen to be one (actually I grew up bilingually with the other language being English). The "A" in "Atmet" is pronounced like the "u" in "us" (but long, not short), and the "e" is pronounced like the "e" in the English word "met" (the past tense of "meet"). The second similarity is not exact, but it is quite close.

Saying "Atmet" sounds very much like someone taking a deep breath; it is an onomatopoeion.

"Onomatopoeion" is the singular of "Onomatopoeia".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onomatopoeia

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply