FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCollaborators' Top Albums of 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 06:20
now that is too goddamn funny.. SWilson finally does a good album, and one I enjoy, and not only was it not the @1 album.. it barely cracks the top 20.

yet again.. Micky is from Mars I suppose the rest of you are from Venus...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 06:28
Maybe it's just hip to be square?
If everybody loves x then it's obviously poor.
If everybody hates x then it's probably quite good.

It puzzles me a little. How on earth you prefer Wilson's emo ode to the blue man group over anything that came before. Then again you just posted a Ratt vid
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 06:37
Excellent job!  It is always fun trying to listen to as many new albums as I can to generate a list to contribute to this poll and it is also fun to see the results of compiling the lists to see the group think of the collabs.  Thank you Ian for all of your work in making this year's list happen.  Love the format.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 06:45
Yes absolutely, I forgot to mention that as well, I also love the new format Ian     
I would love for you to come round my apartment and "arrange stuff". It'd be quite lovely I'm sure.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 06:50
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

And i couldn't L'Albero Veleno - Tale of a Dark Fate, for whom I voted

Look at #32-t Smile.

:oopppssssieEmbarrassed

my list was

Prog :

1. Roger Waters - Is This The Life We Really Want?(UK) - 9

2. Accordo dei Contrari - Violato Intatto (It)  - 2

3. Agusa - Agusa (Swe) - 7

4. Kotebel - Cosmology (Esp)  - 13

5. Aranis - Smells Like (Bel)    -   151

6. Siena Root - A Dream of Lasting Peace(Swe)    - 105

7. MediaBanda - Bombas en el Aire (Chile)   - 115

8. Jordsjo - Jord - 8

9. Wobbler - From Silence To Somewhere (Nor) - 1

10. L'Albero Del Veleno - Tale of a Dark Fate - 32

11. Atavismo - Inerte   - 30

12. Muffx - L'ora di tutti   -   226

13 Narcotic Daffodils - Summer Love (Bel)    > 250

14 Robert Plant - Carry Fire (UK)   > 250

15 Hidden Orchestra – Dawn Chorus (UK)    > 250

16 Art Zoyd - 44 1/2 Live and Unreleased Box   - 40

17. John Zorn- The Garden Of Earthly Delights   - 35

Hors concours (out of scope):

Bertrand Cantat  -  Amor Fati
Algiers - The Underside of Power  

Jazzzz:

1 Nordmann – Boiling Ground (Bel)

2 Adam Rudolph's Moving Pictures - Glare of the Tiger (USA)

3 Yazz Ahmed - la Saboteuse (UK)

4 Kamasi Washington – Harmony of Difference (USA)

5 Dinosaur – Together As One (UK)

6 The Heliocentrics - A World of Masks (UK)

7 Chip Wickham - La Sombra (UK)

8 John McLaughlin & the 4th Dimension - Ronnie Scott's Live (Int)

9 Andrew McCormack - Graviton (UK)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 06:52
For those who may have missed the previous thread and might have any interest in this, here is a link to MetalMusicArchives top list of 2017.  http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12879&FID=79&PR=3&PID=173051&title=mma-best-of-year-2017-results#173051  Number 1 over there shows up as 25 on the PA list.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 06:53
Have you heard the Algiers debut Hugues? The Underside Of Power was really a big disappointment for me, though admittedly it's been months since I last gave it a shot.

Waters in first place? You mad dog.

- Douglas Adams
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 07:19
Great job! Wobbler No 1 as expected but well deserved.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 07:23
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Thanks everybody. I was really inspired to dress things up a bit by Adam's MMA list last year. And I thank him for indirectly pointing out that I was way overthinking how to embed a table into the forum. 

Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Noticed a couple of repeat entries. Kant Freud Kafka at 209 and 245. Probably due to the accent on the i. Lunatic Soul at 59 and 212 (second entry forgot the d at the end of Fractured), but that would put them into top 50. 

Also Unreal City at 17 and 225 (second entry has only one m in Frammenti).

So I went back and looked at my master lists and verified that the top scores on the above final list for Lunatic Soul and Unreal City were the combined scores and adjusted placement in the standings. I just forgot to erase the lower entry. Actually, Unreal City sticks out in my mind because the album title was spelled wrong twice. I erased one of them but not the bottom one, but verified that 17 was their final position. KFK wasn't coming close to the top. A shame since they were just outside my top 20. Beautiful album.

And really, just too many amazing albums this year. I listened to more albums this year than I probably did in the first 3 decades of my life.

Great job with the list. Must be hard to sort through alternative spellings. I agree about KFK. It would probably make top 20 for 2017 for me, but I haven't listened to nowhere near the number of albums listed. I enjoy seeing these lists to get recommendations for albums. Lots of good albums in 2017. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 07:26
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It puzzles me a little. How on earth you prefer Wilson's emo ode to the blue man group over anything that came before. Then again you just posted a Ratt vid

what is there really to puzzle over Dave...  I put a premium on what an artist does .. for me it is all about quality.. not the style. Hence the Ratt love.. my rather out of bounds views on much of prog which quite honestly sucks.. by the numbers heard it all before kind of stuff... hence the counter-culture SWilson love. His prog sucks...  heard it all before and much better. Perhaps I ain't as keen or well rounded in emo blue-balled artists.. but if SWilson's latest typifies the sound.. perhaps I should be listening to that.. over Yes clones and retreads that so many do seem to love haha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 07:33
That's the thing though. To me the new album is not at all new stuff. It sounds like a watered down take on Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun. I don't mind him focusing on songs over the proggy stuff, but the songs need to have some zest and life to them.
Anyway I agree with most of what you say...I just don't think it fits in with Steven's latest.
I don't really give a ratt's arse about style if the music speaks to me.

- Douglas Adams
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 07:35
Wobbler was so good i'm voting for it next year as well LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 07:36

that was a burn (roflmao)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 07:40

That's the thing though. To me the new album is not at all new stuff. It sounds like a watered down take on Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun. I don't mind him focusing on songs over the proggy stuff, but the songs need to have some zest and life to them.
Anyway I agree with most of what you say...I just don't think it fits in with Steven's latest.

bingo man.. seems we are on the same page.. other than actually enjoying the SWilson album.  I liked it... prog or not... which is huge step up from anything he's done since PT went away which didn't speak to me or elicitany kind of enjoyment as a listener in any way at all.

btw.. feel bad about missing you over the holidays. The spousal unit and I were in Copenhagen over Xmas and if I had been in the right frame of mind I would have thought to drop you a line and see if you would have liked to have got together. Perhaps this year over the holidays we'll be back and can get together
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 07:44
Cheers Micky.

That would've been cool to hang out over a couple of brewskis and the ol pipe. I am however currently living at the other end of the country, so be sure to tap me on the shoulder the next time you guys are in the vicinity of Copenhagen. Maybe it coincides with me visiting some old friends

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 07:48
groovy man.. will do.. though I must admit... if we would have met I suspect I would have been denied the special experience of seeing my completely by the book, law and order, straight laced spoucal unit get jacked by teh Copenhagen PD.

PRICELESS...  it was everything I have for willpower.. and granted I have as much willpower as I do love for by the numbers retread prog rock.. to not laugh my ass off to see the look on Raff's face as we were stopped.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 08:54
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

For those who may have missed the previous thread and might have any interest in this, here is a link to MetalMusicArchives top list of 2017.  http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12879&FID=79&PR=3&PID=173051&title=mma-best-of-year-2017-results#173051  Number 1 over there shows up as 25 on the PA list.

Wow, very surprised to see new act Lovebites take the 2nd slot! 
My most played metal album of the year, and the twin-guitar tag-team of Mi-ya and Midori are stunning.

They're also great musicians...
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 09:21
IAN, you really have set a high standard this year, my friend ! Excellent job all around Thumbs UpThumbs Up
More than happy with the Top Ten - do feel completely at home among this great community, well done boys Hug
(I didn't vote this year Ouch but Ian was kind enough to quote my enthusiastic  short review of Acordo's album, thx mate)

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 09:25
Also, awesome job with this list Tapfret!
I know that Bent Knee album has its detractors, but since I only just discovered them at the beginning of this year through Land Animal, it sounded so fresh and new to me (thus grabbing my top spot). I've always had a love for female vocalists with in-your-face tones, which is why Tricot and Bjork also made my list.

As for Steven Wilson, the album felt like a bit of a slog at times, with only "Detonation" and its killer solo making a major impression. The other song I really liked was...yep..."Permanating". I don't know, the Elton John/ELO thing just worked somehow, plus my kids like the video (their mom is desi so they're exposed to lots of Bollywood stuff).
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 11:03
Outstanding job Ian.  Thanks for putting in a huge effort Ian!  I like the new format...

Like a child,  anticipating an Easter egg hunt, each February I look forward to the Collaborators list. Now begins my annual album hunt, as I use the Collaborators list as a guide for Albums I missed the preceding year.  Every year I pick up and purchase six or seven strays.

Six of my top 20 made the Collaborators top 20.   2 of my top 3 occupied the Collaborators top 3.  Two out of three ain't bad.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 17 2018 at 11:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>