24 [39.34%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 08:35
Bill is one of a kindWink

and he plays like the song is all about him
Phil is just as good in a different kind of way and blends more with the song---
Phil picked Bill to replace him in Genesis

voted Bill
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 09:31
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

next we'll probably have vocalists and then keyboardists, that's gonna be interesting to see LOL

perhaps with the keyboardists we'll get the bagel that some fool denied us in the bassist category.  Most thinkers, not the fanboys, should fully realize that Banks was the musical weak link of that group.  Rutherford was decent,  Hatchett fully capable but CRIMINANALLY underused, Collins talented enough I suppose, but Banks... urgggg...

anywho.. for this one... not the Bruford idolizer some are. I don't think Yes were THAT unhappy to see him go for his limitations as drummer which White was able to fill.

So a draw.. and no vote.

Methinks Phil a GREAT drummer--always love his work on any and every project he ever contributed to (and I collected them all!) 

But Bill stands out for me because he stands out. He doesn't just fill and keep (odd) time. He creates a musical line that seems to be reacting to and thinking about music as if from another dimension, another perspective, almost like a West African musician. When I drum, I find myself playing like Bill: drawn to explore rhythms that are not naturally heard within the other musicians' play; I hear hits in the spaces or off-beats, like Bill and Steve Jansen and Mark Heron and, to a lesser degree, Huxflux Nettermalm. These are the kind of drummers that make my soul sing with joy and adoration!  

(Sorry to wax a little too rhapsodic there, but we are talking about the core of what I love about progressive rock music: the exceptional; the idiosyncratic; those beings serving a stream of consciousness outside of the ordinary.)
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 10:10
Actually I think Alan White played on as many Yes records as Bill Bruford(if not more during the 70's). Bruford left relatively early on imo. However, the classic period and arguably the pinnacle of the band was when he was still with them.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 18 2018 at 10:12
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 12:36
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

next we'll probably have vocalists and then keyboardists, that's gonna be interesting to see LOL

perhaps with the keyboardists we'll get the bagel that some fool denied us in the bassist category.  Most thinkers, not the fanboys, should fully realize that Banks was the musical weak link of that group.  Rutherford was decent,  Hatchett fully capable but CRIMINANALLY underused, Collins talented enough I suppose, but Banks... urgggg...

anywho.. for this one... not the Bruford idolizer some are. I don't think Yes were THAT unhappy to see him go for his limitations as drummer which White was able to fill.

So a draw.. and no vote.

Methinks Phil a GREAT drummer--always love his work on any and every project he ever contributed to (and I collected them all!) 

But Bill stands out for me because he stands out. He doesn't just fill and keep (odd) time. He creates a musical line that seems to be reacting to and thinking about music as if from another dimension, another perspective, almost like a West African musician. When I drum, I find myself playing like Bill: drawn to explore rhythms that are not naturally heard within the other musicians' play; I hear hits in the spaces or off-beats, like Bill and Steve Jansen and Mark Heron and, to a lesser degree, Huxflux Nettermalm. These are the kind of drummers that make my soul sing with joy and adoration!  

(Sorry to wax a little too rhapsodic there, but we are talking about the core of what I love about progressive rock music: the exceptional; the idiosyncratic; those beings serving a stream of consciousness outside of the ordinary.)

Wonderfully stated! I also voted for Bill for very much the same reasons.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 12:39
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Bill Bruford is my favorite drummer.

This^
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 13:10
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Which drummer of the classic era ( I am excluding Alan White because he didn't play on most of the albums) do you prefer more?? 
Actually White played on more albums than Bill. 

Exactly, White played on more Yes albums than Bruford.
Well obviously, but I suppose the point was the classic era as defined by the topic's starter. White played on a ton of Yes albums, but Yes classics? 

I can stretch the classic Yes period going from The Yes Album to Going For The One, and that makes it 3-3, but maybe he values the first two albums more.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 13:16
Subjectively, I prefer 'Collins' but have to admit that 'Bruford' may have the technical edge. On saying that, was there much between them when they both played together on the 'Trick of The Tail' tour? Both exceptional talents.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 13:28
Bill Bruford.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 15:15

So a draw.. and no vote.

well elocuted Drew.  I can't disagree with anything you wrote there.  I think highly of each, which is why I took a no vote on this one, which would be the Yes-Genesis matchup I'd rate a draw.   However I think neither really is a patch on Palmer who is in my mind the pinnacle of prog drumming.  Heard on many 70's boots... Carl Palmer.. best drummer in the world. Damn right he was. Perfect chemistry of pure talent, speed, stylistic diversity, composing ability, and his ace in the whole .. pushing the boundries.. not just a basher.. but an innovator.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 15:19
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Bill Bruford is my favorite drummer.

This^

High-five!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 15:49
No "both" option? Bill can play literally anything and I'll love it. Phil's verve is on point. Without PhilBill, the world of drumming would be SO much poorer! On that we all agree. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 21:39

So a draw.. and no vote.

well elocuted Drew.  I can't disagree with anything you wrote there.  I think highly of each, which is why I took a no vote on this one, which would be the Yes-Genesis matchup I'd rate a draw.   However I think neither really is a patch on Palmer who is in my mind the pinnacle of prog drumming.  Heard on many 70's boots... Carl Palmer.. best drummer in the world. Damn right he was. Perfect chemistry of pure talent, speed, stylistic diversity, composing ability, and his ace in the whole .. pushing the boundries.. not just a basher.. but an innovator.

I do love Carl Palmer's drumming too. Actually, for me, I would put him there next to Bruford, and indeed am annoyed that Palmer is usually overlooked around here, specially compared to Bruford... I really don't know whom I would choose between them. Between Bruford and Collins I go with Bruford, even if I find Collins great too, of course.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 01:57
This poll should really be Alan White versus Phil Collins, in which case Phil Collins wins easily, but you can't vote against Bill Bruford who's a superb drummer and actually pretty close to Phil Collins style of drumming (Chester Thompson versus Bill Bruford would be an interesting contest as well).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 02:02
^ I guess the poll is about Bill's drumming in yes vs Phil's drumming in Genesis. 
I also think the poll creator does not know White played on more Yes albums than Bill. I may be wrong. :)
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 02:18
There's no doubting Brufords skill, but of all those top drummers; Collins, Palmer, Bonham, Peart etc I would say Bruford is my least favourite.

He can be too jazzy for me at time. Phil Collins gets the vote here, he plays with a precission and warmth that seems to compliment the music better. I've always loved his unmistakable drum sound too. His playing from A Trick of the Tail to Duke inclusive, is some of the best rock fusion drumming I've heard.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 05:26
Really tough call!
Today it's Bruford.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 06:59
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Bill is one of a kindWink

and he plays like the song is all about him
Phil is just as good in a different kind of way and blends more with the song---
Phil picked Bill to replace him in Genesis

voted Bill

I'm reading Phil's autobiography at the moment and it turns out Phil didn't technically pick anyone to replace him. Phil and Bill are actually good friends and Phil was contemplating how he he would sing and drum at the same time for the Trick of the Tail tour. Bill, hearing this and not tied down to any projects at the time, offered his services and Phil took him up on this offer. Phil thought Bill did an admirable job, but it sounds like Tony and Mike had problems with Bill wanting to mix it up at every show and play some part a bit different. Bill left after the tour to work on his solo stuff. Phil did pick Chester after hearing Chester's work on some of Frank Zappa's stuff.

There is footage of both Bruford and Collins playing together here:
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 07:09
In addition to Brand X, Collins also drummed in the Phil Collins Big Band which rearranged Collins solo and Genesis songs into big band format, chiefly influenced by Buddy Rich. Their rendition of "Los Endos" is pretty good. Quincy Jones, and even Tony Bennett were involved at some point. In Collins' autobiography, he credits Sonny Payne as a big influence on him. 

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 07:20
Hi,

My thoughts are that Phil stopped drumming much too soon to be able to be in a comparison show. But doing two jobs in a major band, was not conducive to his being able to concentrate on drumming, is the way I thought this went down.

Bill is likely the better of the two, given that he went on to King Crimson and even doing some very nice, and different things, later in his career whereas you look at Phil and it was just another song, and the drumming was not even interesting to my ears. And at least two of those albums by King Crimson are still considered some of the best work it has ever done ... and a staple in their shows ... Red and Starless and Bible Black. On top of Fragile and CTTE, this would make Bill a much more important drummer, than Phil.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 07:41
I'm a drummer & a big fan of both players. 
Very different styles with Bruford bring more jazzy & Phil more in your face.
I went with Phil  but you can make a case for either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>