FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsonar with David Torn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: sonar with David Torn
    Posted: February 18 2018 at 11:16
ProgDay, last September, featured one of my favorite bands, SONAR (aka Sonic Architecture) from Switzerland.  I love their poly-rhythmic compositions and mesmerizing tri-tone tuned guitars (e.g. C / F# / C / F# / C / F#), an interval sometimes called the "devil in music" or "diabolus in musica").

They brought with them for guest appearance, David Torn on guitar.  I understand David's astounding musical background, and the fact that he is producing SONAR's newest release, but his guitar playing was completely incongruous to SONAR's style.  To make matters worse, his amp was turned up to the proverbial "11", thereby drowning out the rest of the band.  Maybe at a much lower volume, his waves of sustained guitar notes would cast an eerie backdrop for the rest of the band, but it simply overwhelmed and was unpleasant (for me).

Was anyone else there?  Did you have the same opinion?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 11:33
I was at ProgDay and found the combination of Sonar and Torn outstanding, the waves sustained guitar worked wonderfully with Sonar's twisted tritone patterns. One of the highlights of the festival. I'm really looking forward to the new album.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 11:49
You were not the only PD attendee who did not care for the Sonar/Torn performance. I've heard and read negative comments from other people as well. Personally, I liked them, but not as much as I would have if I had not been feeling the effects of lack of proper sleep - which led me to leaving the field early.

Anyway, glad to see another ProgDay fan here on PA! Next September, if you are planning to come, we should at least try to get introduced to each other Smile.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 11:52
^ I agree!  I'd like to get to know more people there, and from PA.  I think we (wife and I) are planning on going, so I'll touch base with you later!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 12:06
yeah man.. there is a small but loyal contingent of us that go to Prog Day.

you might have seen me last year.. I was the damn fool who won the signed guitar raffle..

be sure to look us up.. our after music parties/nights on the town are legendary if you can keep up with H.T's Camero..

SAKE!!!!!!!!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 14:19
I was there too, hangin with Nogbad, Raff, Micky, HT and others. I found the combination of Sonar with Torn a bit surprising and wasn’t sure it was going to end well, but I was won over pretty quickly. He was very loud compared to the core band, but it came off as almost a power-ambient performance, with steady rhythmic weirdness backing it up, rather than the reverse which I expected. So it was really like 2 shows in one - Sonar alone was one vibe, then the vibe changed when Torn tore a new one.

Overall, my 2nd favorite act of the weekend, after iNFiNiEN.

I also really dug that kickbutt Hibachi dinner we all had at the end.

Edited by HolyMoly - February 18 2018 at 14:21
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 14:56
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I was there too, hangin with Nogbad, Raff, Micky, HT and others. I found the combination of Sonar with Torn a bit surprising and wasn’t sure it was going to end well, but I was won over pretty quickly. He was very loud compared to the core band, but it came off as almost a power-ambient performance, with steady rhythmic weirdness backing it up, rather than the reverse which I expected. So it was really like 2 shows in one - Sonar alone was one vibe, then the vibe changed when Torn tore a new one.

It was a rather excellent dinner.
Ian

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 15:03
little Ian really made that dinner special. I love watching the youth discover the joys of getting wasted. I look forward to continuing his corruption this year. This year I arrive with several bottle of plum wine just for him.  

Edited by micky - February 18 2018 at 15:03
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 17:41
Little Ian was always in control. The kid knows when to say when, that’s more than I could say at his age. Even when plum wine is involved (who drinks that anyway?)

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 06:43
Wow!  I look forward to meeting up with the PA contingent at this year's ProgDay.  I'm not sure I can keep up with your legendary after-hours partying... We'll see!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 06:55
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

you might have seen me last year.. I was the damn fool who won the signed guitar raffle..

be sure to look us up.. our after music parties/nights on the town are legendary if you can keep up with H.T's Camero..

SAKE!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I remember that.  Ibanez, wasn't it?  Lucky dude!  I may have gotten a photo... have to check.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 07:02

iNFiNieN were fantastic!  It was an unexpected highlight of the show for me.  My second fav was Shylock ("I love your guitar playing, but please stop singing." - LMFAO!).  Third was Sonar (during those intervals when David Torn was cooling his fingers).
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 07:35
Highlights for me were Shylock, Sonar with Torn, & Ephemeral Sun. Infinien was probably the biggest surprise as I knew nothing and loved their set.
Ian

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 14:40
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

SAKE!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I remember that.  Ibanez, wasn't it?  Lucky dude!  I may have gotten a photo... have to check.

yeah.. an Ibanez it was..  it was pretty cool to win.  Surprised the hell out of me, Raff and I were flush with my large bonus I got from work so I had cash to burn and bought a boatload of tickets. It was a good cause, but never thought I'd win the damn thing.... I never win anything. I might bring it this year, especially if there is an artist at Progday this year I find especially interesting and see if they'll sign it as well.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 14:46

Wow!  I look forward to meeting up with the PA contingent at this year's ProgDay.  I'm not sure I can keep up with your legendary after-hours partying... We'll see!

more bark than bite.. we are getting old afterall haha.   Sprinters now than marathoners.. both big Ian and me got back Sand took one look at the party going on at the pool and said.. .ehhh...  nah..  our beds look TOO good right now.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 14:50

Little Ian was always in control. The kid knows when to say when, that’s more than I could say at his age. Even when plum wine is involved (who drinks that anyway?)

*spits beer on monitor*

saying when on one glass LOL  He was getting tipsy though.. yeah that plum wine will knock you for a loop. I don't think he drinks like the fish we are.  Hence my 2018 mission... paving the road to Ian's complete corruption.. but at least having have TWO glasses with dinner hahaha

I do btw... I love that stuff... it hits pretty hard.. and tastes great going down unlike some of the sh*t I've drunk in my lifetime. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 15:54

more bark than bite.. we are getting old afterall haha.   Sprinters now than marathoners.. both big Ian and me got back Sand took one look at the party going on at the pool and said.. .ehhh...  nah..  our beds look TOO good right now.
i rallied for the pool scene but none of you fkrs showed up. At least I got to talk to Dan for a bit. And I got a refreshing swim in.

-Kehlog Albran
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 16:34
hahah.. sorry man.. didn't mean to leave you hanging. It was the sake... in my youth it would have been a warmup..  these days...on top of 10 hours of drinking beer out on the green..  it was just a nightcap.

I don't normally do the pool.... except when Paul Sears (Muffins drummer) graces us with his presence at Prog Day.  Have you met him Steve? I don't think he's been there the last couple of years.  He is the life of the party afterhours.. and sort of in a way the heart and soul overall of Progday..   I can and often have just sat there for hours and listened to his hilarious stories of the prog scene in the 70's and especially when he gets going about Fripp.  Last I heard he was working on a biography... might even have finished it for all I know (need to check) but that will be a MUST read. Oh the stories he can tell....
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 16:46
I have not met Paul, but I did get to know his wife Debbie this year. Guess Paul couldn’t make it last year.

-Kehlog Albran
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 16:57

I have not met Paul, but I did get to know his wife Debbie this year. Guess Paul couldn’t make it last year.

yeah.. he is a busy beaver.  I hope he can make it this year. He is a real hoot.. and yeah his wife Deb a real sweetheart.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>