Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2018 Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2018 at 00:28
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Alec K Redfearn & The Eyesores - The Opposite is outstanding, right up there with Sister Death. Saw them play 5 of the tracks at ProgDay, were the band of the festival by a large margin.

Not a huge fan of the band if honest (I only really like The Quiet Room...which is pretty excellent). But I'll give it a listen once it goes up on bandcamp. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
marbles259 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marbles259 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 05:05
Jet Black Sea - The Overview Effect. Coming soon. Taster here:

https://jetblacksea.bandcamp.com/album/the-overview-effect

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 03:28
It's update time. Some very good ones have been released latey. We are living in good times for instrumental prog these days.

Quote My four favourites so far, in alphabetical order:

Bubu - El Eco del Sol
Anna von Hausswolff - Dead Magic
Homunculus Res - Della Stessa Sostanza dei Sogni
KoenjiHyakkei - Dhorimviskha
Mother Turtle - Zea Mice
Oaksenham - Upon All the Living and the Dead
Roz Vitalis - The Hidden Man of the Heart
Tusmřrke - Fjernsyn I Farver
Dean Watson - Track of Days

These stand out above the others I have heard.

Edited by someone_else - October 08 2018 at 00:47
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 09:40
Best Albums:
UNAKA PRONG Salinity Now! (by far the best album of the year, so far)

ANNA VON HAUSSWOLFF Dead Magic (amazing creativity!)

GLEB KOLYADIN Gleb Kolyadin (jaw-dropping musicianship!)

DEMEN Nektyr (Stunning and stark beauty!)

SEQUENTIA LEGENDA Renaissance (a Berlin School master still growing and improving!) 

HOMUNCULUS RES Della stessa sostanza dei sogni (virtuosic yet playful avant Canterbury)

Delightful Surprises:

BASTa!2 Vertigo

STOP MOTION ORCHESTRA Lightworks

REFORMAT The Singularity

MIDLIFE Phase
GALASPHERE 347 Galasphere 347
STARVING DAUGHTERS Strange Valleys

RICHARD WILEMAN Veil

HYPNO5E A Backward Glance on a Travel Road: Alba - Les Ombres Errantes

BOMBER GOGGLES Gyreland

Good but disappointing:

Phideaux Infernal

Lunatic Soul Under the Fragmented Sky

Roz Vitalis The Hidden Man of the Heart

Sunchild/Karfagen

Edited by BrufordFreak - September 17 2018 at 09:42
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 17:16
New Mike Vennart (ex-Oceansize) solo album is fantastic, I'm kinda surprised it's not mentioned here yet

https://vennart.bandcamp.com/album/to-cure-a-blizzard-upon-a-plastic-sea

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 10:10
Quick list of so far favorites 2018.

Piniol - Bran Coucou
Voivod - The Wake
Lady With - The Lodge
Koenjihyakkei- Dhorimviskha
Bubu - El Eco del Sol
Armonite - And the Stars Above
Rivendel - Sisyfus
Perfect Beings - Vier
Ana von Hausswolf - Dead Magic
Cheer-Accident - Fades

Many many more to listen to.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 12:46
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Alec K Redfearn & The Eyesores - The Opposite is outstanding, right up there with Sister Death. Saw them play 5 of the tracks at ProgDay, were the band of the festival by a large margin.

Now that I've heard it, I'll say I'm not yet convinced it's on the level of Sister Death (so far that's their crowning achievement imo), but definitely up to the level of the excellent three albums that preceded it (Quiet Room, Smother Party, Blind Spot).
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 02:24
Faves on PA are scarce this year but I am getting closer to a list.

Phideaux - Infernal
Mildlife - Phase
Mother Turtle - Zea Mice
Field Music - Open Here
Thy Catafalque - Geometria
Anna Von Hausswolff - Dead Magic
Homunculus Res - Della Stessa Sostanza Dei Sogni
Elephant9 - Greatest Show On Earth
Koenjihyakkei - Dhorimvishka
Fire! - The Hands
Piniol - Bran Coucou
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 07:58
I got Art Zoyd's Phase V a few days ago. It's a 5 CD box with new music (chances are the material has been collected over some years but it's not a retrospective as 44 1/2); Art Zoyd' last work published in Gerard Hourbette's lifetime. Cry

It'll take me lots of time to listen to 5 1/2 hours of new music often enough to write a review, but the initial impression is that it's pretty good. Despite the nod to 1982's Phase IV it doesn't sound nostalgic at all. That said, it is typical Art Zoyd and if you like their work and their b/w horror film atmospheres, you'll want to have this one, too. It's clearly closer to their 2000s output than to their seventies and eighties work. It has enough variety to justify it's length; actually it is a collection of several pieces, probably including some film or theatre music (I wouldn't have complained about more information). I think it is a very tasteful and mature piece of work and I'm fine with the time that the different ideas are given, none of it strikes me as overlong.  

This was quite clearly not meant as a swansong; it rather gives me the impression that Hourbette (who is clearly the central character here and wrote some 85% of the material) still had a lot to give. It may be somewhat offputting at its length and price (and without lots of sound samples flying around on the internet) but I definitely recommend it. Art Zoyd's website www.artzoyd.net sells it for 32.99 Euros.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 08:27
Some of my likely top 10 albums have been released in the past few days, or will be released in a few weeks:

Alec K Redfearn and the Eyesores - The Opposite
Forgas Band Phenomena - L'oreille éléctrique
Far Corner - Risk
Gösta Berlings Saga - Ex Et

The new Phideaux is also quite good, though more "mainstream" in prog terms. Still hoping for a new release from the mighty Frogg Café before the end of the year!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 09:23
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Some of my likely top 10 albums have been released in the past few days, or will be released in a few weeks:

Far Corner - Risk

The new Phideaux is also quite good, though more "mainstream" in prog terms. Still hoping for a new release from the mighty Frogg Café before the end of the year!

Those 4 will likely be high up my list, only heard samples of Forgas And FC but both sound great. Also just released is In Love With - Coitus Interruptus, terrific if you like your jazz brutal.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 15:07

Far Corner - Risk

First I was aware of new releases for Far Corner and GBS. That excites me.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 08:41

Still hoping for a new release from the mighty Frogg Café before the end of the year!

Frogg Café still exist? That is very good news! I thought they had quietly vanished since Bateless Edge
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 16:19
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

Still hoping for a new release from the mighty Frogg Café before the end of the year!

Frogg Café still exist? That is very good news! I thought they had quietly vanished since Bateless Edge

They are very much alive, and we will be seeing them for the fourth time on November 10. Great live band, and a very nice bunch of guys to boot!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 17:57
hell yeah darlin'  I'm really looking forward to that show... and a new album from them.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 00:49
Really looking forward to the new Gösta Berlings Saga too. Would be nice with a new Necromonkey as well
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Zugzwang View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zugzwang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 08:02
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Really looking forward to the new Gösta Berlings Saga too. Would be nice with a new Necromonkey as well

The new GBS is already out, by the way. You can listen to the whole thing here / buy it on amazon or itunes (not on bandcamp because the band's on InsideOut now).

I don't know about Necromonkey but the new Thumpermonkey track is pretty great.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 08:10
Only one listen into GBS but it seems quite good.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 17:32
Originally posted by Zugzwang Zugzwang wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The new GBS is already out, by the way. You can listen to the whole thing here / buy it on amazon or itunes (not on bandcamp because the band's on InsideOut now).

I don't know about Necromonkey but the new Thumpermonkey track is pretty great.

That's a bummer. Hope it's worth it to them.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 20:36
I am really digging the Aquaserge album. Going to have to go through their discography. They do not sound like most of the Psych I've heard here. Sounds like it's edging right up to RIO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>