Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2018 Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 05:54
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I am really digging the Aquaserge album. Going to have to go through their discography. They do not sound like most of the Psych I've heard here. Sounds like it's edging right up to RIO.

They've played the RIO festival in France and do seem to appeal to a lot of us Avant guys.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 09:45
Best of 2018 so far rough cut

1. Far Corner - Risk
2. Nik Bärtsch's Ronin : Awase
3. Koenji Hyakkei - Dhorimviska
4. Cheer-Accident: Fades
5. PinioL: Bran Coucou
6. In Love With - Coitus Interruptus
7. Zevious - Lowlands
8. Alec K Redfearn & The Eyesores - The Opposite
9. VAK - Budo
10. elephant9 - Greatest Show On Earth
11. Gosta Berlings Saga - Et Ex
12. Gogo Penguin - A Humdrum Star
13. Sonar With David Torn: Vortex
14. Jack O' The Clock : Repetitions of the Old City II
15. The Necks - Body
16. Aquaserge : Déjà vous?
17. Bob Drake - L'Isola dei Lupi
18. Anna von Hausswolff: Dead Magic
19. Zwoyld - Zgond
20. Gryphon - Reinvention
21. Dan Weiss - Starebaby
22. Scherzoo - 04
23. Forgas Band Phenomena - L’Oreille Électrique
24. Thumpermonkey - Make Me Young, Etc
25. The Red Masque - Fathomless
26. Basta - Vertigo
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 12:11
Great list as usualClap! I have heard quite a few of those, and will gladly explore those I haven't. Agreed on Far Corner as #1 - their new album is superb, one of the best releases of the past 18 years.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 12:54
If we're only talking prog/stuff on this site/stuff that would be on this site/seems like it's going to be included, I'd say (in no particular order):

Palm - Rock Island (neo-psych math rock with really unique guitar work)

David Garland - Verdancy (4 hours of electroacoustic drone folk and glitch pop and worth every minute)

Current 93 - The Light is Leaving Us All (A return to form for Tibet, the classic ambient neofolk sound you've come to love, but even folkier and more ambient)

Fred Frith Trio - Closer to the Ground (loosely composed experimental rock with free improvised passages)

Keiji Haino + Sumac - American Dollar Bill (free improvised noise rock/sludge metal)

Anna Von Hausswolff - Dead Magic (droney neoclassical darkwave)

Julia Holter - Aviary (experimental chamber pop)

Za! - Pachinko Plex (insane math rock with gamelan and progressive electronic influences)

Death Drag - Shifted (improvised avant noise rock compositions or composed avant noise rock improvisations)

Ricarda Cometa - Ricarda Cometa 2 (free improvised prepared guitar avant-prog post-punk)

SUMAC - Love in Shadow (sludge metal/post-metal with free improvised passages)

Outside of this site, too many to list. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 12:58
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

19. Zwoyld - Zgond
Zwoyld has a really promising sound and aesthetic, but I'm not too impressed with the tracks themselves. Definitely one to look out for, though.

Edited by Polymorphia - November 11 2018 at 12:58
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 13:19
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

19. Zwoyld - Zgond
Zwoyld has a really promising sound and aesthetic, but I'm not too impressed with the tracks themselves. Definitely one to look out for, though.

I like Zgond pretty well, but actually prefer their previous album 200 000. Worth a listen, if you haven't.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 14:05
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

19. Zwoyld - Zgond

I like Zgond pretty well, but actually prefer their previous album 200 000. Worth a listen, if you haven't.
I'll have to check that out. I do like the psych edge that Zgond has. Hope they continue with that angle.

Edited by Polymorphia - November 11 2018 at 14:06
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 14:18

19. Zwoyld - Zgond

I'll have to check that out. I do like the psych edge that Zgond has. Hope they continue with that angle.
BTW thanks for your list - as usual containing a lot of stuff that is unknown to me. Will be checking out the Za! and Palm releases based on your descriptions, probably others as well.

Edited by Mascodagama - November 11 2018 at 14:18
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 14:53
Now that I saw the name Za!, I remembered them from their previous album, Loloismo, which I once recommended for that unfortunately discontinued feature, Something for the Weekend. Definitely going to check it out! This year I did not listen to as much new music as I used to, but I managed to put together a small list of favourites.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 17:36
From Ian's list

2. Nik Bärtsch's Ronin - Awase
9. VAK - Budo
10. elephant9 - Greatest Show On Earth
12. Gogo Penguin - A Humdrum Star
15. The Necks - Body
16. Aquaserge : Déjà vous?
20. Gryphon - Reinvention
22. Scherzoo - 04
23. Forgas Band Phenomena - L’Oreille Électrique
26. Basta - Vertigo

Pulling things out of my secret hat:
Tunng - Dreams You Make At Night
Idriss Ackamoor & The Pyramids - An Angel fell
Ryley Walker - Deafman Glance
Homunculus Res - Della stresa sostanza dei sogni
Romain Baret - Naissance de l'horizon
Dinosaur - Wonder Trail
Weedpecker - III
Maisha - There Is A Place
Alco Frisbass - Le Bateleur
Son Of Kemeth - your Queen is a reptile
Zwoyld - Zgond

.... so far Wink

Posthumous or reissue

Coltrane
Jordsjo

Edited by Sean Trane - November 17 2018 at 04:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 19:16

19. Zwoyld - Zgond

BTW thanks for your list - as usual containing a lot of stuff that is unknown to me. Will be checking out the Za! and Palm releases based on your descriptions, probably others as well.
I said the list was in no particular order, but that Palm album is extra special. Definitely my album of the year. 

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Now that I saw the name Za!, I remembered them from their previous album, Loloismo, which I once recommended for that unfortunately discontinued feature, Something for the Weekend. Definitely going to check it out! This year I did not listen to as much new music as I used to, but I managed to put together a small list of favourites. 
I'm new to Za!, but this album seems to be more eclectic and keyboard-driven than their previous, which I am eager to listen to in full.

Also, add to my list the new Guerilla Toss album Twisted Crystal. It's not really prog, more like wacky zolo neo-psych pop, but the band is in the archives. 
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NutterAlert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 02:28

Best of 2018 so far rough cut

Not 'arf. Love this album.
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 08:47

Also, add to my list the new Guerilla Toss album Twisted Crystal. It's not really prog, more like wacky zolo neo-psych pop, but the band is in the archives. 

I've been following these guys for years - since they had their s/t released on Tzadik. I really dig them and had the pleasure of seeing them live in June, and they put on a killer show! GT Ultra was I think the first album of theirs where I felt like they had gone past the point of having a sound I could hear the potential of to actually writing songs in that sound that really worked, beginning to end.

Twisted Crystal hasn't hit me quite as strongly. It's back to Eraser Stargazer levels imo. Still good though!
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 11:55
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Ryan Walker - Deafman Glance
Weedpecker - III

First, it's Ryley Walker Second, try Somali Yacht Club, a Ukrainian trio very similar to Weedpecker
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 12:29
Dammit I'm Mad's self-titled record is some fun, whimsical instrumental math rock. At times it makes me think of Deerhoof, Dirty Projectors, and Toe. Not as unique as the new Palm album, but there are some similar vibes here.

Edited by Polymorphia - November 20 2018 at 12:30
dauinghorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 03:16
Needlepoint - The Diary of Robert Reverie. Simply amazing!

All Traps On Earth - A Drop of Light. Johan Brand of Änglagård and his new project. Incredible!

Träden - Träden. A continuation of Träd, Gräs och Stenar, with Reine Fiske on guitars. Dreamy, melancholic and beautiful.

Elephant9 - The Greatest Show on Earth. Superb keyboard-driven jazz rock.

Sammal - Suuliekki. I haven't got time to listen to this one yet, but it will most likely be on my top list. Fantastic band!

All my top progressive albums this year is from the icy north... Must be something in the blood, eh?
dauinghorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 03:43
Oh, a couple of Norwegian albums I forgot to mention:

Psychic Arm - Octopus. Dark, eerie, mysterious and neon-coloured art rock.

Saluki - Amazing Games. Great and cozy 2nd album from these old veterans. 

And a bonus: Ernie Hawks - Scorpio Man. Amazing!! From Finland. Crazy, instrumental music which sounds like a library record from the late 60s.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 09:59
In case you need something in the vein of 2003 Opeth:

I mean not just in the vein, this Sisare album is IDENTICAL to "Damnation"

Also don't sleep on the new Vespero record: https://music.vespero.ru/album/hollow-moon
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 11:40
I only have 1644 albums not quite up to 2018. Tongue
But seriously albums added to my collection that I have logged in as released in 2018 - 
Perfect Beings Vier 2018
Hillmen The Whiskey Mountain Sessions Vol. II 2018
IO Earth Solitude 2018
Hypnotheticall Synchreality 2018
Lao Tizer Band, The Songs From The Swinghouse 2018
Not A Good Sign Icebound 2018
Phideaux Infernal 2018
Chatoorgoon, Rani Chaotic Wonder 2018
Ecovillage Sacred World 2018
Was doing a bit of 2017 catchup as that year I wasn't able to afford any additions.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 17:15
I haven't seen the 2018 Soft Machine album Hidden Details in this thread yet. I'm not easily impressed by what the old 60s/70s heros come up with these days but that one is perfectly fresh and few of those I heard from new bands this year can keep up with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>