Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg-Surf Recomendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog-Surf Recomendations
    Posted: February 19 2018 at 11:41
I got the idea for this thread after a conversation with the guys in Parafulmini.  They billed themselves as an Italian "Progressive Surf" Rock band.   They remind me a little of Zappa.  I asked what made them progressive?  They replied, 

"Well, about Progressiveness: think of Zappa. We certainly are no Master Frank, but we use a lot of polyrhythns and odd meters (the intro is 19/16, and you can find 11/8, 17/8 [subdivided 5+5+7], quintiplets, and so on). Even harmony is not standard, and the pieces have asymmetrical structures, sometimes grouped in suites... is that enough? And - yes - does humor belong in music? Bingo!....Tenere Fuori Dalla Portata Dei Bambini ("Keep Out Of Reach Of Kids") is some sort of a spoof concept album - since I wrote an absurd sci-fi-like story goin' along the pieces."

I've always had a thing for surf rock.  Especially surf that felt sort of Progish. 

Is there such a thing as Progressive Surf?   If so, please recommend anything you would classify as Progressive Surf.Wink 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 19 2018 at 16:19
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 13:24
Surf prog?  Besides an FZ song here or there, only band I can think of is the Mermen...check out the album, "A Glorious Lethal Euphoria" Wink
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 14:17
many guitarists are directly anf indirectly influenced by surf rock, i see some surf music in Steve Howes playing. Surf music and the Shadows was the school of guifar in the 60s.

Edited by Icarium - February 19 2018 at 14:17
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 16:18
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Surf prog?  Besides an FZ song here or there, only band I can think of is the Mermen...check out the album, "A Glorious Lethal Euphoria" Wink

Thanks Crimson King...Ordered it off of Discogs for less than $10 off of Discogs.  There's plenty of copies for under $11. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 19 2018 at 19:04
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 17:21
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Thanks Crimson King...Ordered it.  

Sweet! 

Back when I lived in San Jose, local college radio station KFJC had a surf show every Saturday night and that turned me on to the Mermen.  To me they always had quite a prog approach to writing but kept a lot of surf elements as well.  I just had a look on Discogs.com and they list their style as "Surf, Prog rock" so I think you're on the right track! 

Hope you enjoy it Smile 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 17:31
Yeah, the Mermen are the only ones I've heard of. I haven't heard much about them in at least ten years though. Are they even still around?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 17:38

Really? Without listening to it on youtube first? That's got to be pretty rare these days. Wink
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 18:41
^ Luckily it happens to be a great album

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 18:48
Back in the 80's  bought my waterproof walkman.

Resultado de imagen para waterproof walkman

Strapped it painfully, and listened mainly Genesis. Kansas and Triumvirat.

My best experience was one day in Chicama (Longest tubes in the world:

Resultado de imagen para Surfing tube Chicama

When I was riding a tube for about 20 seconds while listening the song "Cinema Show", that sole moment was epic and worth the effort.

One day a humongous wave threw me to the rocks and one hit the walkman, it was the end of it.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 19 2018 at 18:55

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 18:59
Secret Chiefs 3 made good use of surf rock along with Middle Eastern music on their earliest albums such as Hurqalya. They are a little more eclectic on newer releases.

As already mentioned Mermen are a form of psychedelic surf rock. I've considered mentioning them here but not really sure if they are progressive or not but could possibly be considered post-rock

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 19:32
Hadal Sherpa's debut album has some surf rock in the closing track:

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 23:17
Here in Finland was band "Laika and the Cosmonauts" who went before it splitted quite prog direction. But I like more their more surf albums. Also there are band "El Supernaut" who played surf covers from Rainbow, Iron Maiden and Dead Kennedys! When I see the leader of the band next time, I have to suggest them to start make covers also from progbands.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 23:47

Sweet! 

Back when I lived in San Jose, local college radio station KFJC had a surf show every Saturday night and that turned me on to the Mermen.  To me they always had quite a prog approach to writing but kept a lot of surf elements as well.  I just had a look on Discogs.com and they list their style as "Surf, Prog rock" so I think you're on the right track! 

Hope you enjoy it Smile 

I grew up in San Jose and remember KFJC. Took classes there. The Mermen's The Amazing California Health and Happiness Roadshow is a great atmospheric album with proggy elements to it. One of my favorites. Songs for Cows is another good one.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 07:12
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Here in Finland was band "Laika and the Cosmonauts" who went before it splitted quite prog direction. But I like more their more surf albums. Also there are band "El Supernaut" who played surf covers from Rainbow, Iron Maiden and Dead Kennedys! When I see the leader of the band next time, I have to suggest them to start make covers also from progbands.

I like Laika.  However, I did not know they were from Finland.  

I went through everyone suggestions, and I'm impressed.  Thank you for adding to my Proggish Surf Rock collection.  During my search I stumbled upon and purchased this oddity...Wink

Daikaiju shows and tunes revolve around Japanese Monsters.  They remain mute on stage, use hand signals, and wear kabuki masks in concert.  Supposedly, nobody knows their true identities however some folk believe Daikaiju members might be "Man or Astro-man". 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 22 2018 at 07:19
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 09:26
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Sweet! 

Hope you enjoy it Smile 

I grew up in San Jose and remember KFJC. Took classes there. The Mermen's The Amazing California Health and Happiness Roadshow is a great atmospheric album with proggy elements to it. One of my favorites. Songs for Cows is another good one.

Ya, good old KFJC, "The Wave of the West"...they turned me on to a ton of great music I never would have heard anywhere else Heart
 Post Reply Post Reply