Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Experimental Psych-Prog Indie Rock, anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Experimental Psych-Prog Indie Rock, anyone?
    Posted: February 19 2018 at 17:11
Hello ProgArchives! I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Tempest. I'm 17, and I'm a multi-instrumentalist, a songwriter, and a producer from California. I make a lot of music in the vein of psychedelic prog mixed with indie rock. I released an album recently called Midnight Depression, which is much more on the psychedelic side and has a lot of ambient and experimental influences in it. I'm working on some more music now, including a follow-up EP, and as my senior project, I'm planning on recording a long, sprawling symphonic prog concept album. Hoping to get some new music out soon!
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 11:26
I'm checking some of this out, it's pretty laid back stuff. Some of it reminds me of The Flaming Lips. It's more indie than prog, I'd say.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 16:40
Thanks for replying!

I wholeheartedly agree; this album is absolutely an indie rock / neo-psych album. Besides the occasional space rock influence, there's almost no prog on this guy. I fear I have a tendency to always present my music as at least somewhat prog due to some of the things I have in the works and am planning on releasing soon (it's annoyingly misleading, I know). However, I will have some stuff out soon that will be a little (and then after that, a lot) more prog than this release. Thanks for checking it out though!
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 07:19
^I'm kind of in the same boat, actually. My debut album was rejected for inclusion with "crossover prog," which is, I feel, a bummer considering I had some intention for it to be considered as such. I get why they didn't go for it, but it's not like "crossover prog" sounds like Yes or something. I was going for more like Bowie, Procol Harum, and The Moody Blues for a bid for that crossover prog inclusion.

Anyway, I'm hoping my next record would be included. I'm also gearing it up for more proggin'. Good luck out there, man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 23:45
You too man. I get that struggle; I haven't suggested myself for inclusion yet because I don't think I'd get added with what I have out so far, but I'm definitely thinking about it once my next few releases come out.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 08:04
Update: I'm releasing an EP this August entitled "Written in the Stars" as a follow up to Midnight Depression. It's largely the same sound, although much more in the spacey, psychedelic/ambient sound a less of the super heavy stuff, other than the first song. After that, I'll be recording my 2nd album, which I'm almost done writing. That's going to be much more prog. Sort of a mix of classical piano with some pretty heavy prog metal/math rock stuff. Hard to explain.

Post Reply Post Reply