Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Prog fan base getting older and older?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Prog fan base getting older and older?
    Posted: February 21 2018 at 08:28
When I attend prog gigs I notice that the average attendant is about my age, fifties, mostly guys and a few ladies, my wife occasionally goes depending on the show. Are we a dying breed?
Long live Progresive music!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 08:30
Most of the fans of classic prog are old farts (like me.)
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 08:35
Last time I saw Yes was probably the first gig I've been to where the queue for the gents was longer than the queue for the ladies.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 08:40
It depends on the gig. Go see some classic band from the 70s/80s and you're bound to end up with the majority of attendees being over 50. On the other hand, buy tickets to a Dungen/Battles/Kayo Dot/elephant9/insert newer band(and or newer style of prog) and the kiddies come out to play.
Old people tend to favour old music just like younger people mostly go for the newer stuff. PA is a rare exception where you come across teenagers who are into the older bands...and a few older guys digging the contemporary sounds.

Seems pretty logical to me.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 08:44
I think fans of music from that era are getting older in general ( 70's rock, prog, Classic rock, whatever)
I know some younger people have discovered it but I would assume the vast majority of prog fans are people that grew up with it (Like any other kind of music)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 08:45
I am actually getting younger every day. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:19
I know some young progfans here Finland. Of course not many. Mostly progfans here are older than I.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:27
I guess a lot of young people like prog, but with the concert prices these days, many of them cannot afford to go to a show. It's the older fans, who have better jobs and don't mind spending $200 on a ticket to see a band they like, the ones you will see on a concert.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:32
All fan bases are getting older.......
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:35
LOL
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:44
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

All fan bases are getting older.......

This is correct, and the dr beat me to it! Wink

I'd say overall, appreciation for classic 70's progressive rock is less and less for the younger crowd. I was 20 when I got into Yes, and I just turned 30 this year. It was cool amongst my college friends and bandmates to hit up the record stores and scoop up the back catalogs of all these killer bands!

Now when I ask peers if they like progressive music, they almost always assume/link me to some sub-par extreme djent-core stuff.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:49
^To me it seems music isn´t really even near as important to today´s youth as it was my youth.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 10:21
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It depends on the gig. Go see some classic band from the 70s/80s and you're bound to end up with the majority of attendees being over 50. On the other hand, buy tickets to a Dungen/Battles/Kayo Dot/elephant9/insert newer band(and or newer style of prog) and the kiddies come out to play.
Old people tend to favour old music just like younger people mostly go for the newer stuff. PA is a rare exception where you come across teenagers who are into the older bands...and a few older guys digging the contemporary sounds.

This is certainly true, I've seen Kayo Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Bent Knee, MUSE, Chelsea Wolfe and the demographic was distinctly younger that the Hackett, Yes, Roger Waters crowds.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 10:23
I remember going to a Yes concert in New Orleans back when it was still part of the Louisiana Purchase.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 10:26
I think that I was at that show too!!!
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 10:48
I got into Prog when I was 12 and now I'm 30. Oldness happened. But maybe members of the younger generations somewhere are listening to the prog bands on Spotify or something  for the first time at this very moment.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 10:59
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^To me it seems music isn´t really even near as important to today´s youth as it was my youth.

I think it's just oversaturation - kids these days seem to be wearing headphones 24/7 if they can. Of course, if you have a choice of millions of artists anywhere you are, it's really not as special as back in the day where you'd have to pick and choose a few albums and wait until you get home to listen to it. At least that's what one of my music teachers theorized (makes sense though).
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 11:45
I guess another way to look at the original question is:

When a prog fan dies of old age, is there a young prog fan stepping in to take their place?  I'd guess no, so the fan base average age continues to get higher Wink
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 12:26
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

[QUOTE=Mortte] it's really not as special as back in the day where you'd have to pick and choose a few albums and wait until you get home to listen to it. At least that's what one of my music teachers theorized (makes sense though).

I've thought similarly many times. I'm thankful to have been a teenager when physical media was still a requirement, and you couldn't just download. You had to go to the store. Wait for it to come out, get to the store, get it home, whole different experience.

One isn't better than the other, just different.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 12:59
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

This pretty much sums it for me as well. That's not to say it's written in stone and that there are no exceptions to the rule but generally speaking this seems to be the case more times than not. Also, to some degree it depends on the band and the exposure the band gets in the mainstream. For example Rush and Pink Floyd both seem to have a lot of younger fans(I'm talking about really big fans too not just casual ones). When I saw Roger Waters last year there were plenty of people in their twenties and thirties there. It would actually be hard to pinpoint the average age since there were so many people of varying ages. With Rush it was also true but with probably less women(although to be fair I do feel they have made strides in that dept). Wink For whatever reason, Yes, on the other hand doesn't seem to have nearly as many younger fans. There seems to be a few here and there but the last few times I've seen them it seemed like there were very few people there under 40(heck even under 50). Genesis seems to have a rather mixed fanbase as well with quite a few women in attendance(when I saw them)but I'm guessing most of the women(not to sound sexist here so please don't get angry)and most of the younger fans are mostly in it for the later pop stuff. Then you have a band like Ozric Tentacles who have several older fans(late forties and fifties on up)and lot's of younger fans. The older fans seem to be the prog heads while most of the younger fans probably got into them through them also being sometimes labelled a jam band(just a guess here). Porcupine Tree have or had a lot of younger fans but it seems to me that most of them got into the band through their Opeth/Mikael and metal connections. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 21 2018 at 12:59
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>