36 [69.23%]
16 [30.77%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 21:30
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Re: Going For The One - why does the title track sound so shrill ?? Actually, Howe sounds shrill all ‘round on this record.

Shrill is just Howe's sound, it's not so bad on the earlier albums because he was mostly playing his Gibsons, but he started using a lot more Fenders starting from around Relayer (which I think is a lot more shrill than GFTO; likely due to the prominence of his Telecaster).

I've never found the GFTO album to be that shrill sounding, although the title track is on his Fender lap steel, so that's probably not too different from their regular guitars, and Awaken features a Rickenbacker and the Telecaster, both known for being bright twangy guitars. There might be some Strat on Parallels (at least he uses one live), which is also pretty twangy sounding.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 22:37
It's a tie for me. Love them both.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 22:59
Going for the One.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 05:04
Trick of the Tail for sure, is my fav Genesis album and one of my all time fav prog releasesBig smile

Going also is not bad at all
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 06:06
Trick of the Tail overall.

GFTO is a very good album. In my Yes top five, and it has to be said Awaken is jaw droppingly good progressive rock!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 06:23
Trick of the Tail gets the nod, despite Awaken (because reasons).

Welcome to the middle of the film.
frankbostick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 08:10
Trick of the Tail
Going for the One
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 08:13
As someone said, GFTO has Awaken. Also TOTT has Robbery, Assault and Battery so even though it's a great album, GFTO gets the nod.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 08:15
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Re: Going For The One - why does the title track sound so shrill ?? Actually, Howe sounds shrill all ‘round on this record.

Shrill is just Howe's sound, it's not so bad on the earlier albums because he was mostly playing his Gibsons, but he started using a lot more Fenders starting from around Relayer (which I think is a lot more shrill than GFTO; likely due to the prominence of his Telecaster).

I've never found the GFTO album to be that shrill sounding, although the title track is on his Fender lap steel, so that's probably not too different from their regular guitars, and Awaken features a Rickenbacker and the Telecaster, both known for being bright twangy guitars. There might be some Strat on Parallels (at least he uses one live), which is also pretty twangy sounding.
It took me a while to get over Howe's crazy guitar on the title track, same with the end of Turn of the Century but it stems from The Ancient. Someone really should have had a quiet word and told him to ease back a bit.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 08:25
Going For The One 9/10
A Trick Of The Tail 10/10
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 09:31
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

It took me a while to get over Howe's crazy guitar on the title track, same with the end of Turn of the Century but it stems from The Ancient. Someone really should have had a quiet word and told him to ease back a bit.

In the YesYears video, Howe talks about wanting to put steel on a lot more songs than he did but says it was always a fight LOL
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 10:37
I love Awaken, but feel somewhat indifferent to the remainder of the album. I love all of Trick - even moreso now than when I first started listening to it. One of those albums that instantly sounded great to these ears yet has continued to grow on me. The keys on Entangled are a surefire way to goosebumps city. Always have been
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 11:57
You have to ask (A Trick of the Tail)? And Going for the One is a ginormous song!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 22:29
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Trick of the Tail just has that something extra which I can't really explain. Going for the One has some great stuff on it, and I can't argue with anyone who would put that first - there is something about Trick that defines a time, place and nostalgic feeling for me more.

The Squonks agree on this one. Clap  Trick of the Tail is THE album that made me a Genesis fan. GFTO is the great Yes comeback album. They both have a special place in my heart but Trick has a little higher place.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 23:04
I don't think GFTO is well recorded. All the songs on the album sound better over the years when played live by the band. Trick on the other hand works well on the recorded studio album as well as recorded live by the band.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 03:50
I love "A Trick of the Tail... but "Going for the One is my vote !Clap
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 16:00
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

Trick of the Tail is recorded very well and loves to be cranked on a good system.

Going for the One is recorded poorly and fatiguing at high volume on a respectable system.

Going For The One was the first Yes album since The Yes Album that wasn't produced/engineered by Eddy Offord, so I imagine there were quite a few rough edges to be smoothed out with the new crew in the studio, which is probably a big part of why the album is so tinny. 

Between these two albums, I'll surprisingly go with Genesis. I don't think I've voted for a Genesis album over a Yes one in a long time, but Trick has my respect for having plenty of what Genesis did at their best: gentle, elegant acoustic passages. Going For The One, on the other hand, seems quite a bit less inspired and energetic than the albums leading up to it (and I'm sure the poor production has quite a bit to do with that). I wouldn't consider either to be a masterpiece, but Trick has some seriously fantastic standout moments (Ripples being my favourite) while Going For The One is more or less consistently underwhelming for me.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 18:20
Originally posted by SquonkHunter SquonkHunter wrote:

Trick of the Tail just has that something extra which I can't really explain. Going for the One has some great stuff on it, and I can't argue with anyone who would put that first - there is something about Trick that defines a time, place and nostalgic feeling for me more.

The Squonks agree on this one. Clap  Trick of the Tail is THE album that made me a Genesis fan. GFTO is the great Yes comeback album. They both have a special place in my heart but Trick has a little higher place.

Welcome back SquonkHunter! Haven't seen you for a while! I've adjusted my avatar slightly to differentiate us a touch (as you got there first!)

By the way....I agree fully with your comments!

Edited by Squonk19 - February 24 2018 at 05:25
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 18:22

Originally posted by SquonkHunter SquonkHunter wrote:

Welcome back SquonkHunter! Haven't seen you for a while! I've adjusted my avatar slightly to differentiate us a touch (as you got there first!)

By the way....I agree fully with your comments!

Your avatar reflects your exceptionally good taste in music. Trick of the Tail  came into my life at a point when I really needed a boost. The song Entangled provided that boost and the rest of the album completed it. I still listen to it on a regular basis and it never fails me.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 19:35
Very pertinent comparison. The albums which mark the end of greatness for both bands imo. A Trick of the Tail is much more enjoyable than Going for the One to my ears.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>