Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1975: Magma Live/Hhai & Tangerine Dream Ricochet
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1975: Magma Live/Hhai & Tangerine Dream Ricochet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [37.04%]
17 [62.96%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1975: Magma Live/Hhai & Tangerine Dream Ricochet
    Posted: February 24 2018 at 00:25
Inspired by the Live series, but not part of it, which of these two albums released in 1975 do you enjoy more? I was going to do a general Live album poll, but then thought that these two would work well against each other, and are popular (both were my first "Live acquisitions by both bands, and both helped me to really appreciate the bands).

From the PA ratings:

Live/Hhaï (Köhntark): 4.44 | 215 ratings

Ricochet: 4.29 | 316 ratings

From rateyourmusic ratings:

Live/Hhaï (Köhntark): 4.08 | 807 ratings

Ricochet 3.83 | 1,341 ratings

I love both of these albums. I was going to add a both option, but it's just as good to say so in a post. And if it's neither for you, I would like to read your thoughts on both of the albums even if they are negative.

Edited by Logan - February 24 2018 at 00:27
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 00:42
Haven´t heard that Tangerine-live, but voted anyway Magma, ´cause it´s just sooo great!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 01:06
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Haven´t heard that Tangerine-live, but voted anyway Magma, ´cause it´s just sooo great!

Both are great in their own ways, in my opinion (both are five star albums for me). I don't know if you're into electronic music generally, or other Tangerine Dream, and I don't want to link to the whole album, but here's music off it:

theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 01:08
Magma by quite a length........I still love Ricochet, though it’s one of my least listened-to TD from the 70’s.

Edited by Tom Ozric - February 24 2018 at 01:08
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 01:34
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Magma by quite a length........I still love Ricochet, though it’s one of my least listened-to TD from the 70’s.

Unlike Magma's Live which blew me away on first listen, Ricochet was something of a slow burner to me. At one time I was only really into TD's 1970 to 1973 period (Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri, Zeit, and Atem), but then I got into the later stuff (Ricochet played a part in me exploring the band more). My first TD album was Phaedra many years ago, but it didn't fully click until much later. Now I love all of the 70s TD albums (all the studio and lives that I know) and I enjoy various 80s TD albums very much.

As for the Magma Live, I was really obsessed with it at one time, but then I used to be really obsessed with Magma generally. Incidentally, the Magma album that has got the most plays over the years with me is the debut -- a double-album that was one heck of a way to jump in, and makes Genesis' debut look like child's play in comparison, to reference my other recent poll with some inanely humorous intent.

Once again, I won't link to the whole album, and the whole thing should be heard, but for those that don't know it, here is the exciting concluding track, Mëkanïk Zaïn:

Edited by Logan - February 24 2018 at 01:37
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 01:46
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Both are great in their own ways, in my opinion (both are five star albums for me). I don't know if you're into electronic music generally, or other Tangerine Dream, and I don't want to link to the whole album, but here's music off it:

Not very much ever been into electronic and also what I´ve heard Tangerine didn´t make me listen more. But I will someday start from their early albums, because most I like that quite analog sound of the begin of seventies.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 01:49
^^ Man, that furious jam in 7/8 kills !! Paga is a monster on the bass

Edited by Tom Ozric - February 24 2018 at 01:49
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 02:53
^ It's spectacular; so much power with such frenzy and intensity. Definitely many bold adjectives worthy.

^^ I got hooked with the first Tangerine Dream album (Electronic Meditation). It's a very different experience from Ricochet (a more experimental rock kind of sound) and is not appreciated by most as much as by me.

Edited by Logan - February 24 2018 at 02:53
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 02:58
Ricochet was my introduction to TD, so has a soft spot in my heart. I remember watching the TV broadcast from Coventry Cathedral and thinking that playing that music in a church was a really progressive step!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 03:02
First I'd say Magma, but I'm just discovering and appreciate Tangerine Dream. With Phaedra, it's probably my favorite album for the moment. But things can change. I'm a complete newbie here.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 03:23

^ It's spectacular; so much power with such frenzy and intensity. Definitely many bold adjectives worthy.

^^ I got hooked with the first Tangerine Dream album (Electronic Meditation). It's a very different experience from Ricochet (a more experimental rock kind of sound) and is not appreciated by most as much as by me.
Love those first 4 TD albums. Alpha Centauri is my pick. Then Stratosfear (from the later albums).

Edited by Tom Ozric - February 24 2018 at 03:24
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 03:37

Love those first 4 TD albums. Alpha Centauri is my pick. Then Stratosfear (from the later albums).

I can't argue with those picks. Good choices, those are two of my very favourites these days and in all sincerity, I was thinking about mentioning those very same albums in the post you quoted.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 03:56
I've gone from Live/Hhaï to Ricochet. I still love Magma but never listen to this one anymore. I'm also in a minority (it seems) who prefer Didier Lockwood's approach to playing in Zao - by far. I owned Ricochet for years but never given it much attention but as I've kept growing fonder of TD's Virgin-years its gotten plenty of spins in the last couple of years. Now I enjoy it just as much as Rubycon.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 05:10
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 07:22
I'm a huge fan of both albums, I can't split them so won't vote.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 08:34

Unlike Magma's Live which blew me away on first listen, Ricochet was something of a slow burner to me. At one time I was only really into TD's 1970 to 1973 period (Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri, Zeit, and Atem), but then I got into the later stuff (Ricochet played a part in me exploring the band more). My first TD album was Phaedra many years ago, but it didn't fully click until much later. Now I love all of the 70s TD albums (all the studio and lives that I know) and I enjoy various 80s TD albums very much.

As for the Magma Live, I was really obsessed with it at one time, but then I used to be really obsessed with Magma generally. Incidentally, the Magma album that has got the most plays over the years with me is the debut -- a double-album that was one heck of a way to jump in, and makes Genesis' debut look like child's play in comparison, to reference my other recent poll with some inanely humorous intent.

Once again, I won't link to the whole album, and the whole thing should be heard, but for those that don't know it, here is the exciting concluding track, Mëkanïk Zaïn:

I think most of us have gone through Magma obsession.. coinciding with having first discovered them hahah.  One of those bands you have be a limp dicked Neo weanie to NOT love.

Only point I differ is the debut was the one right from teh gate that amazed me.. and still does today.  I'd be hard pressed to vote for anything to top ELP for best debut album.. but Magma's sure would be one I'd consider. 

Anyhow.. the poll... love both. No vote.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 08:41
Ricochet was my favourite album for some time in my teenage years, but I've clearly played it too much so that now I prefer the Magma one by some distance. (Both will appear in my poll series later.)

Edited by Lewian - February 24 2018 at 08:41
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 11:38
Both, but Ricochet gets my vote. I bought that album after reading a review of it at age 16 and it got me into Progressive Electronic for the rest of my teens, so it has a special place for me.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 13:23
It's very, very close, but my vote goes for Ricochet.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 13:45

Stratosfear was a milestone. The title track evolves like a runaway locomotive. It's an unrelenting earworm.

If you like that one, you also have to check out Cyclone and Force Majeure (one of the best albums to cross over from Berlin School into full-on prog).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>