Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarillion with Fish or Hogarth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which version of Marillion do you PREFERENCE?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [37.50%]
12 [37.50%]
6 [18.75%]
2 [6.25%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marillion with Fish or Hogarth
    Posted: February 27 2018 at 14:06
I'm a huge fan of Fish-era Marillion, but belatedly I'm reassessing the current Marillion line vocalist and style and looking forward to seeing them for the first time shortly after some strong recent albums. Which Marillion do you personally prefer? Do you have a particular preference or none at all? I'm still sticking with the Fish-era as it was part of the soundtrack to the mid-80s when prog was struggling to find a wider voice - but Hogarth's style is not without its charm, if you get beyond a direct comparison and even treat them as separate bands.

I'm actually interested in the split amongst current PA members and posters. It might turn out to be predictable, but it might have a few surprises, perhaps?
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 14:31
Fish. Clutching. That's it for me. (And Fugazi.)
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 14:43
They are both brilliant in completely different ways.

Hogarth could never sing Market Square Heroes and Fish could never sing Easter, but they do their own stuff brilliantly.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Booba Kastorsky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 16:00
Tough choice.... But I'd probably prefer "with Hogarth" simply because with him the band recorded more material, and you can choose more good music.  
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 16:47
Definitely fish, not just vocally, but also musically. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 18:24
Not a big fan or Marillion, but I guess I would prefer the original line up, with Fish on vocals.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 19:01
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

They are both brilliant in completely different ways.

Hogarth could never sing Market Square Heroes and Fish could never sing Easter, but they do their own stuff brilliantly.

Hogarth have always sung the old Fish material quite excellently (check out the Market Square version on the 'Out of the Box' singles night) and I'm pretty sure that Fish could sing the H tunes effortlessly and to great effect.

But I agree that they are both brilliant.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 19:48
ehhh...  Marillion huh.

Not a fan of the group..putting it mildly... but will admit to being less repulsed by what I have heard by Marillion era Hogwarts.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 21:05
I have enjoyed several songs with Hogarth, but for me they had more special songs / albums with Fish.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 21:52
I am not a big Marillion fan; the only album I like is "Fugazi". but my vote definitely goes to Fish. Hogarth is a soulless singer; way too streamlined for my taste

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 22:33
I like both eras but chose Hogarth, I listened to the albums with him more lately. Also saw them live a few years ago and it was amazing. 

They still experiment quite a bit and still take me by surprise every once in a while. :)
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 01:37
interestingly many people compare the vocals of Fish to the vocals of Peter Gabriel and even say he imitates him. Fish is however a huge fan of Peter Hammill and sounds more like him. three little anecdotes about this:

1) for Peter Hammill's opera "The Fall of the House of Usher" Fish was originally chosen to sing the part of Montresor. but during test auditions it turned out that the voices of Hammill and Fish sounded too much alike, so the part of Montresor was finally given to Andy Bell of Eraser.

2) on the cover of Marillion's "Fugazi" you will find the covers of two Peter Hammill albums, "Fool's Mate" and "Over".

3) Hammill solo was the opening act of at least one Marillion concert with Fish (this may have happened more often; my information is from an interview with Fish after that concert). Hammill apparently did not find any favor with the audience; Fish said about his performance: "he slowly died under the boos and jeers of the audience, but I loved every minute of it"

Edited by BaldJean - February 28 2018 at 01:40

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 01:46
^ I do not think Fish ever tried to imitate Peter Gabriel. Or Peter Hammill for that matter. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 01:49
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ I do not think Fish ever tried to imitate Peter Gabriel. Or Peter Hammill for that matter. 

well, for the purpose of recording "The Fall of the House of Usher" the vocals of Hammill and Fish were too much alike, which was a big problem because there are many duets between Roderick Usher and Montresor in the opera

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 01:53
^ it's not imitation, that's all I was trying to say 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 01:59
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I doubt he intentionally tried to sound like either. Both were clearly an influence on him, and that does come through in his vocal style at time, especially the Hammill influence. Probably a very 'organic' manifestation of that influence. IMO.

Anyway, I vote for Fish in this poll, although I'm not a big fan of either. The debut album was excellent; probably among the best prog debuts of all time. Fugazi had great moments. Misplaced Childhood is ok, but a bit wet and sappy for me, and CAS is just slick mainstream rock with some proggy keyboard parts. Hogarth's Marillion bores and depresses me.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 02:10
The Fish era, but not by far. Hogarth-Marillion had some good albums before they focused on elevator music: Holidays in Eden/Brave is almost on par with Fugazi/Misplaced Childhood.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 02:15
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

The Fish era, but not by far. Hogarth-Marillion had some good albums before they focused on elevator music: Holidays in Eden/Brave is almost on par with Fugazi/Misplaced Childhood.

Marillion elevator music?! Man, those must be some cool elevators. 

Nice to see Holidays in Eden getting some love!
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 02:27
Fish-era Marillion were really young and inexperienced musicians.

Script was fun when I was 14, but I can't listen it anymore. It's so kitchy. And Mick Pointer is awful.
The bassplaying and some keyboard- and guitarparts are nice. But the production is so held back. there's no grit, no urgency.

Fugazy has more grit but lacks good songwriting. Assasing and Punch and Judy are great rocksongs though.

Misplaced and Clutching are warmer and finally they found their sound. Gone is the grit and the angry vocals.
This is the period I like the most. And the drumming of Ian is what makes the band stand out. He has so much taste (on Fugazi he's too bust though).

Holidays in Eden, Season's End and Brave fit nicely in that pop-prog sound.

From then on, their discography gets really unstable. Great albums and mediocre albums, flirting with alt.rock etc.

That being said, the band released 5 really great albums in a row, with both singers.
That's how I perceive it.

Marillion are a great popband, and a terrible progband, their epics are not all that great. Mostly just a collage of shorter pop-songs.
When they do pop, they are really great, but when they try prog, they fail.

I like the short 4 to 5 minute songs they put out and some epics (Interior Lulu, Strange Engine, Ocean Cloud), wich are more Pink Floydish-atmosferic epics than real prog-epics.

Oh, and Grendel was my favorite song when I was 14 years old. Now I think it lacks a lot. It's not surprising the band doesn't play it.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 02:48
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Fish-era Marillion were really young and inexperienced musicians.

Script was fun when I was 14, but I can't listen it anymore. It's so kitchy. And Mick Pointer is awful.
The bassplaying and some keyboard- and guitarparts are nice. But the production is so held back. there's no grit, no urgency.

Fugazy has more grit but lacks good songwriting. Assasing and Punch and Judy are great rocksongs though.

Misplaced and Clutching are warmer and finally they found their sound. Gone is the grit and the angry vocals.
This is the period I like the most. And the drumming of Ian is what makes the band stand out. He has so much taste (on Fugazi he's too bust though).

Holidays in Eden, Season's End and Brave fit nicely in that pop-prog sound.

From then on, their discography gets really unstable. Great albums and mediocre albums, flirting with alt.rock etc.

That being said, the band released 5 really great albums in a row, with both singers.
That's how I perceive it.

Marillion are a great popband, and a terrible progband, their epics are not all that great. Mostly just a collage of shorter pop-songs.
When they do pop, they are really great, but when they try prog, they fail.

I like the short 4 to 5 minute songs they put out and some epics (Interior Lulu, Strange Engine, Ocean Cloud), wich are more Pink Floydish-atmosferic epics than real prog-epics.

Oh, and Grendel was my favorite song when I was 14 years old. Now I think it lacks a lot. It's not surprising the band doesn't play it.

damn captcha I wrote a lot and it's gone...
I disagree with most of the things you say. I explained thoroughly but captcha screwed it... :(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>