Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSupertramp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supertramp
    Posted: March 02 2018 at 05:12
First off, I'll ask if anyone knows a similar band?

Second, when you hear Supertramp, or mention it to someone else, what songs pop up in their mind? Just the hits? The people I know don't seem to know songs like "Words Unspoken", "Waiting So Long" or any of the great songs off "Crisis? What Crisis?".. I was on the phone with a friend, and it irks me when he throws the term "girly bubble gum pop" but won't take a few minutes to listen to Babaji or Fool's Overture.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 05:15
^ there is a thread like this already, although the "search" option does not always work. 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 05:28
Mentioning Supertramp usually gets a giggle, although I'm not sure why.

Most people I know, remember The Logical Song, Dreamer & Breakfast in America. They are generally seen as a bit 'wet' and whimsey and very mainstream, middle of the road, which is a shame. I think they are very talented songwriters. Crime of the Century would be on my top 10 albums of all time.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 05:31
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90056&PN=1

that's the topic I mentioned earlier :)
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 05:33
The first song by them I heard was "Breakfast in America" and I still love it. The song was almost over on the radio, but that solo by Helliwell towards the end was so wonderful, and the singing of course.

I'd say Roger wrote the better bulk, but if you take their very best, they seem to match up well... "Crime of the Century" is definitely a Top 10 album of mine. First band I heard to criticize school - 5 years before "The Wall". I wish they'd play "Rudy" or the title track on the radio just once. Give the people a chance; radio shouldn't condescend so much.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 05:42
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

The first song by them I heard was "Breakfast in America" and I still love it. The song was almost over on the radio, but that solo by Helliwell towards the end was so wonderful, and the singing of course.

I'd say Roger wrote the better bulk, but if you take their very best, they seem to match up well... "Crime of the Century" is definitely a Top 10 album of mine. First band I heard to criticize school - 5 years before "The Wall". I wish they'd play "Rudy" or the title track on the radio just once. Give the people a chance; radio shouldn't condescend so much.

I wish more people could hear Asylum. Glorious piece of music.
kjprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 12:15
I don't know of any other groups similar to Supertramp.  They were one of a kind.  2 keyboard players and lead singers, and very little guitar is not usually a recipe for success.  But the songs are so damn good.  They have withstood the test of time with the best of them.  There are different degrees of progginess in their music-but they certainly ARE prog, and one of my personal favorites.  
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 12:42
Breakfast in America is one of my favourite albums. Ten majestic tracks. I love Gone Hollywood, Take the Long Way Home and Child of Vision in particular. I also have Brother Where You Bound, which has an amazing 16-minute title track.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 13:06
Originally posted by kjprogger kjprogger wrote:

I don't know of any other groups similar to Supertramp.  They were one of a kind.  2 keyboard players and lead singers, and very little guitar is not usually a recipe for success.  But the songs are so damn good.  They have withstood the test of time with the best of them.  There are different degrees of progginess in their music-but they certainly ARE prog, and one of my personal favorites.  

I 100% agree Smile
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 13:10
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Most people I know, remember The Logical Song, Dreamer & Breakfast in America. They are generally seen as a bit 'wet' and whimsey and very mainstream, middle of the road, which is a shame. I think they are very talented songwriters. Crime of the Century would be on my top 10 albums of all time.

The people I hang out with are between 40-60 of age and love Supertramp.   Since Roger left,  they made a few reasonable albums after that.

Roger had some sort of infection in his throat,  which stopped him singing for several years.   But now all cured and doing great with his solo work.Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 13:57
Supertramp sounds quite unique, I can't think of a band sounding similar. 

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 16:15

Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I wish more people could hear Asylum. Glorious piece of music.

Absolutely. A work of genius which is in my personal top ten.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 04:07
Originally posted by kjprogger kjprogger wrote:

Roger Hodgson does have some impressive lead guitars and some goosebump and hair standing solos on electric guitar and some very hypnotic acoustic and twelve string guitar works. Aint nobody But Me is very guitar heave with raw hammond.

Edited by Icarium - March 03 2018 at 04:08
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 04:13
They made 2 of the best albums of the seventies easily. Davies and Hodgson were the Lennon and McCartney of seventies prog imo.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 05:11
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

The people I hang out with are between 40-60 of age and love Supertramp.   Since Roger left,  they made a few reasonable albums after that.

Roger had some sort of infection in his throat,  which stopped him singing for several years.   But now all cured and doing great with his solo work.Smile

Sadly most people I know don't like rock music. I'm 49 and grew up with metal and prog, but most I know group up with punk, indie or dance music. They regard Supertramp as 'classic rock' which in their minds is even worse than prog. How little they know...
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 12:27
I think Supertramp is always a love em or hate em type of band.
Maybe too pop for some serious minded progsters
I agree that there is no one I have never heard that is anything like them and it would be a hard act to imitate as well.
Breakfast In America gave them more fame in the US but I think Crime of The Century is their high point
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 12:34
Top 10 Supertramp songs? It's hard, but here goes...

Crime of the Century
Words Unspoken
A Soapbox Opera
Just a Normal Day
Don't Leave Me Now
Waiting So Long
Rudy
Breakfast in America
The Logical Song
School
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 13:49
Crime of the century but album ever from supertramp 2nd i would say even in the quietest moments 3rd crisis what crisis ?
 Post Reply Post Reply