Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello proggers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello proggers
    Posted: March 06 2018 at 13:11
Hello from France everyone !

I'm a prog-lover since years now, I started with progressive metal (Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree metal years etc), and now I'm a big fan of 70's prog bands ! I'm also a musician and try my best to do some proggy stuff on bass and guitar !

I mostly listen to Steven Wilson, Riverside, Haken, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Yes, Soft Machine, Frank Zappa but also lots of fusion jazz (Chick Corea's Return to Forever, Snarky Puppy, Hiromi) and metal (Gojira...).

This forum looks amazing for discovering new stuff Big smile I guess I will love it !

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 13:30
Welcome! Lots of passionate people with some great experience and views. Go through the main site for reviews and information on genres and new releases, but feel free to cruise the forum and please contribute. Can't promise you won't get people disagreeing with you - but that can be half the fun if you have a thick skin and realise that your tastes are YOURS and don't be swayed by fashion or the opinion of others - even though you'll get some very intelligent viewpoints most times.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 13:31
Welcome, I love Soft Machine, Pink Floyd and King Crimson and plenty of Frank Zappa. I like Return to Forever too, but am mostly into the more experimental ones and electric Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock.

And yep, this forum and site in general is great for discovering new-to-you music and the forumites tend to be very eager when it comes to recommending music. Pretty often those recommendations are spot-on. Sometimes the fanboy/ fangirl in us lead us to recommending the kind of stuff someone is not looking for, but generally the recommendations are really good. I've discovered music just by looking at polls with a youtube tab open as well as recommendations made to me personally by people who know my tastes well.

There are a number of musicians here too, so there is the possibility to connect to other musicians and talk musician stuff. We have even had a few music collaborations organised through the forum over the years. I play guitar myself, albeit it not well.

Edited by Logan - March 06 2018 at 13:34
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Triple Barbe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 15:03
Oh thanks for this welcoming !

@Logan : yeah, Herbie and electric Miles are quite amazing too !
I did not know people were doing musical stuff and collaboration here, it's amazing ! I've done it before on french forums but never with proggers, that could be great and I will definitively check that !
Check out my instrumental prog rock fusion band : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH8eX8wofs8&
 Post Reply Post Reply