Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weakest track on The Yes Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What is the weakest track on The Yes Album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.27%]
20 [45.45%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.82%]
19 [43.18%]
1 [2.27%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weakest track on The Yes Album
    Posted: March 07 2018 at 08:48
Well, we did Fragile so how about this mega classic.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 09:15
Nothing wrong with "Clap" but if I was going to get rid of one track it would be this. No shame considering the quality of the other tracks.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 09:56
No brainer......the Clap.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 10:02
Gah, this is actually tricky! I'd have to say Clap.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 10:22
Went with A Venture. Not a bad song , just not great.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 10:22
I adore every track.   
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 10:24
As said already - nothing particularly against the Clap - but if something has to go, I'd rather choose that than anything else.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 10:35
Good god! Who voted for Yours Is No Disgrace? Someone get the burning torches and pitchforks
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 10:41
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Nothing wrong with "Clap" but if I was going to get rid of one track it would be this. No shame considering the quality of the other tracks.
Agreed.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 10:51
"Clap" seems a bit out of place not really because it's a solo acoustic piece but because it's a live song on an otherwise studio album. That's not unheard of but it just doesn't feel right to me. 

By the way "the clap" on the original album was a typo. It's supposed to be(according to Steve Howe)just "clap."
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 11:26
I like the placement of a live ditty among all the others. A Venture, although not weak, seems to be an ill fit and belonging to an earlier album.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 11:28
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I like the placement of a live ditty among all the others. A Venture, although not weak, seems to be an ill fit and belonging to an earlier album.

Why? Because it's shorter than the others? I believe it actually was a Banks leftover but I don't know for sure. I just thought I heard that somewhere.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 12:09
Venture
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 12:39
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

same here it could be that I've heard Clap one hundred times too many---not true of most of the rest of them
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 13:49
A Venture. Although I like it a lot 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 13:58
I’d have to say !!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 16:52
again..... many of you all really have ZERO notions of context within albums...  would Fragile be a great without the stellar Howe contribution of Mood for a Day.. or is Clap less to your tastes because it is Americana influenced.. and in my book.. Clap smokes Mood for a Day.  American country pickers are no f**king joke man.... you lose your sauce over Jazz noddling..  just watch Joe Bob at the county fair do make your jaw drop with country picking....

again.. Micky from Mars..many of you from Venus. Clap shows just why Howe was as great as was... 

Venture... easily.. not a bad song by any means.. but unlike Clap with did much to establish Howe's reputation as a guitar God.. would the world have missed a beat if Venture had been swallowed up alive.. nope. The only track on this otherwise perfect.. and essential album one could say that about.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 19:50
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Venture... easily.. not a bad song by any means.. but unlike Clap with did much to establish Howe's reputation as a guitar God.. would the world have missed a beat if Venture had been swallowed up alive.. nope. The only track on this otherwise perfect.. and essential album one could say that about.

Agreed. While I think that A Venture may fit better into the album's overall flow, there's no denying that Clap is a fantastic piece of guitar work that holds up on its own, so Venture got my vote.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 00:01
Don't know quite what is wrong with The Clap. Its not prog, but its in outstanding piece of solo guitar work.

That being said, I can do without most of Yes' studio work. Give me Yessongs and I'm fine.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 00:27
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

would Fragile be a great without the stellar Howe contribution of Mood for a Day.. or is Clap less to your tastes because it is Americana influenced.. and in my book.. Clap smokes Mood for a Day.  American country pickers are no f**king joke man.... you lose your sauce over Jazz noddling..  just watch Joe Bob at the county fair do make your jaw drop with country picking....
Venture... easily.. not a bad song by any means.. but unlike Clap with did much to establish Howe's reputation as a guitar God.. would the world have missed a beat if Venture had been swallowed up alive.. nope.

Pretty much my thoughts too--  let's face it, Clap is a cut every young guitarist heard, had to sit down weak-kneed in fear and wonder, gather their thoughts and ponder the fact they'd probably never get close to that level of mastery and musicality.  

To micky's point, 'Clap's out-of-context presentation was part of the new rock adventure in 1971.   A slap in the face, and echoed for years later by other players.

Edited by Atavachron - March 08 2018 at 01:47
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>