Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFair Warning or Appetite for Destruction?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Fair Warning or Appetite for Destruction?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [45.45%]
6 [54.55%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fair Warning or Appetite for Destruction?
    Posted: March 07 2018 at 14:53
Which 80's hard rock classic do you like better?
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 14:58
Fair Warning is my fave VH record, so easy choice.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 15:48
*spits 5th beer of afternoon on monitor*

really... GnR.. and isn't even a contest.. even as much as I like VH. That band could have been the Stones of the 80's and 90's and no band before.. or since.. captured the vitality, energy, or latent danger that rock and roll has its core.  While GnR failed...  Appetite showed what could have been if Axl hasn't been such a deranged prick.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 16:10
VH had many better albums than Fair Warning in my opinion. GnR were at their peak with Appetite and it still resonates today from those wilderness years of the 80s...but each to their own.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 16:26
wilderness years?  the 80's were the last great musical decade .... different perhaps.. but no less great than the 70's. Name one great one great... truly great ROCK band after GnR.. nope.. not happening. GnR was rocks last chance to remain relevant.. moving into the 90's....to save RnR.. and because of Axl ... they blew it. But the promise of what could have been was shown on Appetite.. in my opinion the last truly great rock album we have seen. Though the 90's did see Soup.. but Hoon's death put a quick end to Blind Melon.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 17:36
Arguably Van Halen's finest hour — indeed, one of hard rock's, period — compared to the vastly overrated Appetite by the mercurial GnR (talk about a band that peaked earlier than Metallica!). 

Fair Warning, easily!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 17:39
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

*spits 5th beer of afternoon on monitor*

really... GnR.. and isn't even a contest.. even as much as I like VH. That band could have been the Stones of the 80's and 90's and no band before.. or since.. captured the vitality, energy, or latent danger that rock and roll has its core.  While GnR failed...  Appetite showed what could have been if Axl hasn't been such a deranged prick.

Did you miss both volumes of Use Your Illusion? Together, those two probably had a decent EP's worth of material between them. They demonstrate just what level GnR was operating at: subpar. Maybe they could have been a decent band without Axl, but unfortunately for those of us who know better, he happened to be the band's main draw. Confused
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 17:45
oh I loved those two...  in part.. indeed they could have been drawn into one truly great album. Of course the attrition had already started.. I thought Izzy was sort of the back bone of that group and the most obvious stylistic link to the band they were most akin to .. the Stones.

in a funny way.. those albums were quite JT prog in an Axl/Ian Anderson kind of way when the rest of band just got the hell out of the way and let the ego of the singer take control...and the hell with simply making a good album. It became all about ego.... and power trips
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 18:53
Guns
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 20:04
I like Appetite For Destruction but Fair Warning is an all-time fave, and the intro to Mean Street alone blows any guitar work Slash did out of the water. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 22:21
Fair Warning - never can´t stand Axl`s voice.

There has been made many great R´n`r-albums after eighties. Jon Spencer has made his greatest R´N`r albums in nineties and 2000`s, although really love his weird Pussy Galore in the end of eighties too. Motörhead kept on doing great R´n`R albums. Stones did two really great albums in the nineties. Cave put Grinderman in 2007 and made two, really rockish & great albums.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 23:44
Fair Warning is a stellar album, a departure from the arena power-rock of the first three and full of one kick-ass cut after another, delicious mix & drum sound, and even a few decent lyrics from Dave.   It was their least 'live' album to that point, taking advantage of the studio's sophisticated mixing and sound design.   Rivaled only by the debut for production & performance, and 1984 for material.   Easily one of the best hard rock records that year.   Then Diver Down a year later and a return to the live sound (not to mention cover songs).

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 00:06
Actually.....while the 70s was my favourite era, I was probably too harsh on the 80s, when I think about what the 90s were like! It was all those identikit hair rock bands and the demise of many old prog/classic rock stalwarts that tends to taint my view of the 80s. A lot of good prog bands did surface in that decade when I think about it. Classic Rock magazine over here in the UK has come up with a Top 100 album list from the 90s - and except for a few good prog exceptions, it makes an uninspiring read! Anyway, a discussion on the eras of rock can wait for another time. Nice to see Fair Warning has its fans - it just didn't quite grab me enough to edge over Appetite.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 00:24
I classify these 2 bands as DSR....you can work out the acronym for yourselves!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 00:39
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Actually.....while the 70s was my favourite era, I was probably too harsh on the 80s, when I think about what the 90s were like! It was all those identikit hair rock bands and the demise of many old prog/classic rock stalwarts that tends to taint my view of the 80s. A lot of good prog bands did surface in that decade when I think about it. Classic Rock magazine over here in the UK has come up with a Top 100 album list from the 90s - and except for a few good prog exceptions, it makes an uninspiring read! Anyway, a discussion on the eras of rock can wait for another time. Nice to see Fair Warning has its fans - it just didn't quite grab me enough to edge over Appetite.

Well the '80s certainly had a few great acts, But frankly I'd tend to agree that it was a weird and, well, alienating decade for those of us not as diverse and/or perverse in our musical appetites.   You had Simple Minds rubbing shoulders with Cocteau Twins, Tears for Fears, and Ratt.  

Wow, talk about an identity crisis.

Edited by Atavachron - March 08 2018 at 00:41
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 00:59
I think there were quite many great underground/alternative acts in eighties, but my unfortune I found them in the late eighties/beginning of nineties. In nineties quite many alternative bands become mainstream (Sonic Youth, Nick Cave and Bad Seeds, Nirvana, P J Harvey etc.) so when thinking just mainstream music I think nineties were better period than eighties.

Van Halen period of Roth was really great.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 08:14
Never listened to either except for the odd crappy song on the radio........

Edited by dr wu23 - March 08 2018 at 08:15
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply