Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1996: Cardiacs Dog Like Sparky & Rush Dog Years
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1996: Cardiacs Dog Like Sparky & Rush Dog Years

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these do you lick more?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [73.68%]
5 [26.32%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1996: Cardiacs Dog Like Sparky & Rush Dog Years
    Posted: March 12 2018 at 05:16
No vote. Never heard Dog Like Sparky and although I'm a huge Rush fan, I have always found Dog Years to be beyond silly. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 12:09
^ I like it. Incidentally, I said that that "Dog Like Sparky" seems more creative, fun, adventurous and varied to me than "Dog Years" (as a song), but I actually think that "Dog Years" is more adventurous in terms of being different from other material made by the respective bands. At least I think it's a fairly unique song in Rush's oeuvre. With each song taken on its own, though, irregardless of other material put out, the Cardiacs' one strikes me as more adventurous. Both are playful.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 11:49
Dog Years is my fave post 70's Rush song so gets the vote Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 10:20
Well, this contest is a bit uneven (I don't really see it as a competition). I voted for Cardiacs myself (I've grown to love that band so very much). Sing to God was my first Cardiacs album, more recently I fell really big for A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window. My initial Rush vs. Cardiacs idea was choosing the one "minor" Cardiacs hit song (the one that can be compared to the Cure), "Is This the Life?", and putting it up against the Rush song "Turn the Page". Is This the Life? isn't a particular song that I'd want to highlight off that album (love it in the context of the album even if not a fave on the album), but I felt that it made stylistic sense to put these to up against each other. I really do spend far too much time thinking about such stuff even if the associations only make a lot of sense to me (I should be doing database work when on site).

I actually like this Dog Years Rush song, and there's something punky about it which to my mind made it seem not bad as foil to the Cardiacs one. Both are fun and zany in their own way, but the Cardiacs seems more creative, fun, adventurous and varied to me.

On a tangential note, I love Günter Grass's novel, "Dog Years" (remember discussing Grass with Jean or Friede not that long ago at this site -- it's the third volume of his Danzig Trilogy, the other two are The Tin Drum and Cat and Mouse).

Edited by Logan - March 10 2018 at 10:22
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 09:52
Go Cardiacs!!!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 16:49
Cardiacs get my vote.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 05:05
Dog Like Sparky, by far.
That is one hectic but brilliant song.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 03:55
Cardiacs. That song sounds to me like XTC playing with the Sparks.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 02:33
Rush (again)
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 01:48
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Cardiacs, obviously
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 19:27
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Cardiacs, obviously

This.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 17:52
RUSH
U    S
S    U
HSUR
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 17:43
Cardiacs, obviously
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 16:57
"Pet him on the head, give the dog a bone;
Use a friendly tone, he won't leave you alone
No one understands like old faithful ...
No one understands it's a dog's life" (from Gentle Giant's Dog's Life).

From the dog year of 1996 when Cardiacs released the double-album Sing to God and Rush released Test For Echo. Neither of these songs would be my particular choices from the albums, but I want parallelism (love the Sing to God album, but I'd probably choose Dirty Boy as a song poll choice as it's the song that made me fall for Cardiacs).

Edited by Logan - March 08 2018 at 17:02
 Post Reply Post Reply