Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHi, from a 70s prog guy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi, from a 70s prog guy
    Posted: March 08 2018 at 23:46
I'm new. I have a favorite 100 Prog albums list with 60 bands listed! I also have a major complaint about the site.

My 10 favorite bands are Gentle Giant, Kansas, Genesis (w/Gabriel), VdGG, King Crimson, Nektar, Renaissance, Hawkwind, Rush & Frank Zappa. I like other prog artists, too. Here are 20 more examples: Gong, Yes, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, ELP, UK, TD, PFM, MVO, RTF, Brand X, Passport, Focus, Magma, Can, Supertramp, Uriah Heep, Curved Air, Eloy, Caravan.

My list includes several artists altogether missing from your lists: Flora Purim, Epitaph (of Germany), Diga Rhythm Band, & Tomita. Please add them. 

My list also includes 5 bands that you call prog related: Wishbone Ash, Queen, Styx, Journey, & Ambrosia. The early Wishbone Ash (2nd, 3rd), Queen (1st 4), Styx (1st 3), Journey (1st) and Ambrosia (1st) are classified as prog by Wikipedia! Your own reviewer agrees that the 1st Ambrosia album is prog! You have lost 11 great prog albums by re-classifying them!

I'd understand omitting them if you did not accept Deep Purple, Chicago, & Genesis (among others). Although I like all 3 bands, I do not call all of their albums prog. According to Wikipedia, only the first 3 (of 20) Deep Purple studio albums (all imports), the first 7 (of 36) studio albums by Chicago, and the first 9 (of 15, but excluding #1) Genesis studio albums are prog (or jazz fusion). The other 17 Deep Purple albums are classed as Hard Rock, the other 29 Chicago albums are all classified as rock, and the other 7 Genesis albums are called rock or pop! Since you accept all the albums by Deep Purple, Chicago, and Genesis, you've padded the prog album count with 53 albums that are not prog in anyone else's mind. Adopting 53 mindless non-prog albums as prog and ignoring 11 great prog albums is REPREHENSIBLE!

Either ACCEPT ALBUMS rather than bands, or accept any band with a prog claim!

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 01:47
It's called independent analysis, and frankly "according to Wikipedia" does not instill confidence in what comes after that.   The bands are here for anyone to comment upon whether they agree with what anyone else thinks.   Think of it as a wide world of progressive/art rock music, and definitions become less crucial.

Welcome to ProgArchives.   Have fun.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 05:08
I understand what the OP is saying. However, I've been on a lot of message boards over the years and one of the things that never goes over very well is when a noob shows up and complains right from the get go. 

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 05:25
^ my thoughts exactly, you can't start criticising, be negative, straight out of your first post. 

Welcome and have fun here!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 06:09
Originally posted by roncohp roncohp wrote:

My list includes several artists altogether missing from your lists: Flora Purim, Epitaph (of Germany), Diga Rhythm Band, & Tomita. Please add them.

Welcome!

If you want to get a band added there is a special sub-forum for that: 

and a process, see:

But before making a suggestion, it is best to check whether a band has already been submitted and is either under consideration or has been rejected.  You can do this by checking the PA chart at Progfreak:

It's not foolproof as not every genre team uses it, but still worth doing.

My list also includes 5 bands that you call prog related: Wishbone Ash, Queen, Styx, Journey, & Ambrosia. The early Wishbone Ash (2nd, 3rd), Queen (1st 4), Styx (1st 3), Journey (1st) and Ambrosia (1st) are classified as prog by Wikipedia! Your own reviewer agrees that the 1st Ambrosia album is prog! You have lost 11 great prog albums by re-classifying them!

You'll enjoy the site and the forum more if you don't get too hung up about whether bands are classed as prog or prog related, or with what exact sub-genre a band is in. None of this is precise science, and it's not the end of the world one way or the other.

I'd understand omitting them if you did not accept Deep Purple, Chicago, & Genesis (among others). Although I like all 3 bands, I do not call all of their albums prog. According to Wikipedia, only the first 3 (of 20) Deep Purple studio albums (all imports), the first 7 (of 36) studio albums by Chicago, and the first 9 (of 15, but excluding #1) Genesis studio albums are prog (or jazz fusion). The other 17 Deep Purple albums are classed as Hard Rock, the other 29 Chicago albums are all classified as rock, and the other 7 Genesis albums are called rock or pop! Since you accept all the albums by Deep Purple, Chicago, and Genesis, you've padded the prog album count with 53 albums that are not prog in anyone else's mind. Adopting 53 mindless non-prog albums as prog and ignoring 11 great prog albums is REPREHENSIBLE!

The same issues have been raised many times...and we all have an opinion about how the site could be improved. But I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for any fundamental changes to the way it operates, not least because of the massive, well-nigh impossible, amounts of work that would be involved.

Edited by Mascodagama - March 09 2018 at 06:18
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 07:21
Welcome, have fun !

(Our business here is better enjoyed if carried lightly and with a smile - not too seriously and with a frown, mind you)
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 07:23
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I understand what the OP is saying. However, I've been on a lot of message boards over the years and one of the things that never goes over very well is when a noob shows up and complains right from the get go. 

Well he is from Downer's Grove! What would you expect? LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 07:12
Hi Ron, welcome to the forum. Get your razor blade out, hairspliiting awaits. ;-)

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 07:22
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Well he is from Downer's Grove! What would you expect? 

OMG, that's actually funny (roflmao)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 07:56

I'm new. I have a favorite 100 Prog albums list with 60 bands listed! I also have a major complaint about the site.

My 10 favorite bands are Gentle Giant, Kansas, Genesis (w/Gabriel), VdGG, King Crimson, Nektar, Renaissance, Hawkwind, Rush & Frank Zappa. I like other prog artists, too. Here are 20 more examples: Gong, Yes, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, ELP, UK, TD, PFM, MVO, RTF, Brand X, Passport, Focus, Magma, Can, Supertramp, Uriah Heep, Curved Air, Eloy, Caravan.

The thing is, once a band is accepted then we list all their albums whether prog or not (otherwise we'd have an incomplete discography) so if Yes made an album of George Formby covers as a ukulele combo, then we'd still include it.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 08:00
^ Now I can totally hear Jon Anderson doing When I'm Cleaning Windows in my head
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply