Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sad prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 17:35
Jack Bruce - Morning Story

I'm actually starting to like his solo stuff more than Cream

Victoria Sage

Edited by MortSahlFan - March 11 2018 at 17:36
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 18:59
Not sure if this qualifies, but its mood is certainly not uppity. No vocals for the first 4 minutes, btw.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 21:43
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^Well, in Jethro`s discography there are much more sad songs than happy songs. I think both Thick as a Brick and a Passion Play are full of really great, sad melodies. And on the other hand, Aqualung starts much more powerful, also maybe little more angry music than sad music and just in the middle comes that beautiful sad part.

Nothing to Say has also always been one of my sad faves from Jethro.

I was thinking more of the lyrics than the sound of the music, though indeed that middle sad part is remarkable. However, the song being about a homeless man and his pains at life... well, it just can't get any sadder than someone who, somehow, has lost everything.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 00:16
^Ok, as usual, I have been here mostly with the sad music. But naturally I believe Anderson hasn´t put cheerful lyrics into any of his sad songs.
Henri View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 08:17
I really like Edison's Childrens' In the Last Waking Moments when I'm feeling melancholy. Somehow their second album didn't impress me, but the first one is excellent. 

Peter Hammill of course has a big bunch of great sad songs on his albums: just to name a few, one could check out Again, Shingle song, Too Many of My Yesterdays, Empire of Delight, Four Pails, A Way Out, The Top of The World Club, Milked... (and many many others)

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 15:27
A good portion of IQ's The Wake perhaps
A Salty Dog - Procol Harum
Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles (that's hard to beat!)
Fallen Angel - King Crimson

Edited by richardh - March 12 2018 at 15:28
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 20:23
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

One that readily comes to mind (although it's poppy - sorry) is Steve Hackett's Give It Away off Highly Strung. It's observations about love's labors lost are too right and leave me feeling rather somber.

Makes me recall Steve Hackett's "Every Day" from Spectral Mornings.

"You became a ghost to me long before you died..."
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 22:24
An instrumental song, however, I think that The Way It Has to Be by Shawn Lane is a very emotional, sad piece.

ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 20:36
Illusion - Out of the Mist
Johnny Bob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 11:41
Hey, listen to Johnny Bob - you get this Album here:
https://tinyurl.com/JohnnyBob-bandcamp
https://tinyurl.com/JohnnyBob-amazon -
perhaps you will like it

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 07:49

Some melancholic undercurrents ...
Argos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 09:34
Opeth - Damnation
Riverside - Love, Fear and the Time Machine
King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon (especially the title track)
Astra - The Weirding
Almost all of PF's discography with emphasis on The Final Cut and the Division Bell.

EDIT: I shouldn't forget all the clean vox tracks sprinkled throughout Opeth's pre-Heritage discography.

Edited by Argos - March 31 2018 at 09:35
"All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 09:36
I really have trouble thinking of 'sad' prog.. the one though that comes to my mind is the Narrow Way piece from Ummagumma. When going through my rough years and feeling sad, depressed and all that sh*t.. I'd love to put that on just to drive me lower and give me an excuse to drink more I suppose.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 10:53
Supertramp - Don't Leave Me Now
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 12:23
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I think both Thick as a Brick and a Passion Play are full of really great, sad melodies.
"So come on all you criminals! I've got to put you straight
Just like I did with my old man twenty years too late" are two lines from Thick' that always strike a nerve with me. Make me think of missed opportunities with my own dad.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 12:38
Losing It - Signals - Rush

The denouement of life and attrition of abilities
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 12:49
Harmonium's Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 13:16
Turn of the Century - Yes
Ocean Gypsy - Renaissance 
Entangled - Genesis
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 16:53
Different Strings by Rush (Permanent Waves if memory serves me right) has a sad chord progression, and Geddy's singing is very sincere.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 22:26
^Both of those Rush-songs are my big favourites from after Hemispheres-albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>