Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBad Prog...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad Prog...
    Posted: March 11 2018 at 20:11
OK, we've had "Sad Prog," how about "Bad Prog?"  

Prog that is so bad, you can't keep quiet about it any longer! 

I'm happy to nominate Big Elf as the first entry in "Bad Prog."  I saw them as an opening act for the Dream Theater's "Progressive Nation" tour, and my ears still hurt.  There something sacrilegious about playing TWO Mellotrons at once!!  Here, enjoy.....

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 21:01
Rare Bird are pretty bland. I just can't get into them. Lazy and boring!!!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 21:10
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I'm happy to nominate Big Elf as the first entry in "Bad Prog."  I saw them as an opening act for the Dream Theater's "Progressive Nation" tour, and my ears still hurt.  There something sacrilegious about playing TWO Mellotrons at once!!  Here, enjoy.....

too funny... yeah they were pretty bad.. thanks for bringing back memories of that.  It took Big Elf to make DT semi enjoyable for Raff and me.. though it still didn't keep us from walking out mid set with DT. We mainly went to see Zappa plays Zappa which kept us from walking out on Big Elf haha.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 21:14
and of course.. no bad prog thread would be competely without mentioning the most famous of ALL bad prog bands.

the infamous 

Torman Maxt
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 22:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

and of course.. no bad prog thread would be competely without mentioning the most famous of ALL bad prog bands.

the infamous 

Torman Maxt

LOL, thanks!!  This review on PA was priceless!! 

The Problem Of Pain: Part 1
Torman Maxt Progressive Metal

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush 
Special Collaborator Symphonic Team

1 stars Torman Maxt's The Problem of Pain: Part 1? Universally panned and loathed in the prog community so naturally I had to taste and see. 

Immediately I noted the guitars don't have enough power to blow the fluff off a peanut. The vocals sound processed and high pitched. The singing is dreadful especially when they are not processed such as on 'Job's Song.' The riffs are so forgettable though at times they have promise only to be ruined by terrible, terrible production.

=========================

...and so forth!  Great review, AtomicCrimsonRush! Clap

Mind you, I've written some sulfurous prog over the years....such as the epic "Romanian Fluids," a depressing little dirge about my visit to Ceaucescu's Romania in 1979!!  LOL

I have tapes of some of this stuff but I have elected to spare humanity of my badness....

OK, I've opened up to my own prog sludge, more bad prog please!!  I don't consider bad LPs to qualify, otherwise I'd suggest "Big Generator" or "Calling All Stations." 

Edited by cstack3 - March 11 2018 at 22:54
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 22:45
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Rare Bird are pretty bland. I just can't get into them. Lazy and boring!!!

I take it Zarathustra was just so bad that you've tried to suppress all memories of them and couldn't even bring yourself to mentioning them in this thread?
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 00:25
About ears hurting I saw Mars Volta as a support act to Red Hot Chili Peppers some year in the begin of 2000. I haven´t heard them before, they´re playing so loud that everything was just big mess, also Bixler-Zavalas high vocals sounded just ridicilous in the middle of that mess. Really didn´t like them at all then, later borrowed their album from the library and understood they´re great band.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 01:55
I have never heard of the band in OP's post, and now my ears are upset.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 05:05
I don't like any of the psuedo-classical prog bands* but I find New Trolls particularly terrible. As bad at rockin' as they are at "concertos" - baroque and rock fused together as successfully as oil and water. 

*Come to think of it early ELO were pretty good at it though.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 05:42
^Never really liked Ekseption or Tomita.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 05:45
so everything one does not like becomes bad prog? 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 05:49
There's plenty of Prog that is bad for me, but the objectively worst that I've heard is various self-produced Prog projects. The very worst has been footage of some little live gigs by prog hopefuls. I don't like to name and shame groups and to remember the names I would have to search. I'd love to discover some so-bad-its-good type groups (the Ed Wood's, Tommy Wiseau's, and Manos: The Hands of Fate's of Progressive Rock). Or musically, The Shagg's Philosophy of the World of prog (a "bad" album that I genuinely adore). Perhaps some Captain Beefheart could count even if I love it?

And while not Prog to me ears despite the mellotron's, that Big Elf also makes my ears hurt.

If not very Prog songs by bands deemed Prog count, then these two could fit:

I know some people genuinely love that Marillion, but I find it so cheesy (have to admit I do rather enjoy it and the Magma-- I like the album Merci, especially the B side, but I could see starting off the album with would put many off). And some might include some music off Comus' To Keep From Crying (I love the album).

Edited by Logan - March 12 2018 at 05:54
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 06:03
Neo Prog can hurt me so bad Metal too, sometimes, but at least, it makes me laugh
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 06:07
^ but " bad prog" needs to come from genres one is familiar with and enjoys. I do not like RIO?Avant (apparently Zappa fits here and I enjoy a few of his albums) but I would never say "well, this genre sucks or is bad". I do like some Magma, but I'm not gonna explore zeuhl further, does not mean it's "bad". 

@Logan  - I know how much you dislike Marillion's Hooks in You (you mentioned it quite a few times), but this song is not relevant to the h era of Marillion. It almost got a Van Halen vibe. I actually think you might enjoy albums like Brave, Anoraknophobia and Marbles. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 06:23
I've said the same thing before as this kind of topic has come up many times. It's better to choose from a category you enjoy and know well as you can be a better judge of the music.

Cristi, I like Hooks in You, it's very catchy and fun, and I know it's different from their other stuff (Uninvited Guest too one might say off the same album), just as that Magma song is really uncharacteristic of Magma. I don't mention either in a mean-spirited way and I've listened to several Hogarth albums. I still love the album Magma' "Ooh, Ooh Baby" is off and I get a perhaps perverse pleasure from the song.   Magma is one of my favourite bands and I have mentioned that "bad" Magma song a lot in the forums (much more than the Marillion because I am a Magma fan) as it humours me and others (I sometimes think we should avoid taking our Prog heroes too seriously). Bad can be good.

EDIT: For interest, here's an old topic on Worst prog Band: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60203

Edited by Logan - March 12 2018 at 06:29
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 07:54
From what I've heard I actually think Big Elf are pretty good. Better than Magic Elf.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 08:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

No, although very short I tried to explain why I consider my candidate bad. And they are RPI - a "genre" I love a lot of bands from. 

If one can't claim a band is better or worse than other bands - discussing music becomes kind of useless to me. This forum would be incredibly dull if the most considerate "say something nice or be quiet" among us got to decide.    
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 08:43
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

No, although very short I tried to explain why I consider my candidate bad. And they are RPI - a "genre" I love a lot of bands from. 

If one can't claim a band is better or worse than other bands - discussing music becomes kind of useless to me. This forum would be incredibly dull if the most considerate "say something nice or be quiet" among us got to decide.    

I tried to explain furthermore what I meant. I can only call a band "bad" if it comes from a genre I am familiar with. If I listen to a band that's not my thing, I would not call that "bad", it's just that I don't get it/not feeling it. Am I making any sense? LOL
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 08:50
i have to admit other than a cover of SOUTH SIDE OF THE SKY,glass hammer just don,t do it for me.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 09:30
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

too funny... yeah they were pretty bad.. thanks for bringing back memories of that.  It took Big Elf to make DT semi enjoyable for Raff and me.. though it still didn't keep us from walking out mid set with DT. We mainly went to see Zappa plays Zappa which kept us from walking out on Big Elf haha.

With you on all points, Micky.

ZPZ was our reason for being there.
We suffered through Big Elf, but DT drove us away with their unrelenting lack of dynamics.  I like much of their recorded music, but the live presentation was terrible.

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>