Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBad Prog...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 06:33
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

This thread has inspired me to listen to Pallas - The Sentinel again. Not quite as bad as I recall it, but definitely NOT good.

The debut is ok if you ask me, their follow up album The Wedge is the dud in their discography. 

When it comes to Pallas, I love the very first release, 1981's Arrive Alive and almost nothing else.  I think the live versions of Crown of Thorns and The Ripper are the best things they ever did.  As far as the Sentinel, I really wanted to love it and gave it a ton of listens, but other than Cut and Run nothing really grabbed me...

Arrive Alive? Is that an official release? Never heard of it. 

Yes.  It's their very first album released 3 years before The Sentinel!  A friend let me borrow his vinyl version years ago and the song selection was much smaller than the current release extended CD version.  Also, the version of Crown of Thorns was different (and much better) on the vinyl than on the CD release which was clearly recorded at a different show.  Beware though, Arrive Alive is very rough around the edges and seriously unpolished compared to their studio albums...much higher energy and raw but I think that's part of why I love it 

damn captcha, wrote a little bit and it's gone
Anyway, songs from that album are on youtube, but I lacked the patience and mood for it, just listened a little bit. Not bad, I'll listen to the whole thing in the near future. 
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 08:47

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

This thread has inspired me to listen to Pallas - The Sentinel again. Not quite as bad as I recall it, but definitely NOT good.

The debut is ok if you ask me, their follow up album The Wedge is the dud in their discography. 

When it comes to Pallas, I love the very first release, 1981's Arrive Alive and almost nothing else.  I think the live versions of Crown of Thorns and The Ripper are the best things they ever did.  As far as the Sentinel, I really wanted to love it and gave it a ton of listens, but other than Cut and Run nothing really grabbed me...

Arrive Alive? Is that an official release? Never heard of it. 

Yes.  It's their very first album released 3 years before The Sentinel!  A friend let me borrow his vinyl version years ago and the song selection was much smaller than the current release extended CD version.  Also, the version of Crown of Thorns was different (and much better) on the vinyl than on the CD release which was clearly recorded at a different show.  Beware though, Arrive Alive is very rough around the edges and seriously unpolished compared to their studio albums...much higher energy and raw but I think that's part of why I love it 

damn captcha, wrote a little bit and it's gone
Anyway, songs from that album are on youtube, but I lacked the patience and mood for it, just listened a little bit. Not bad, I'll listen to the whole thing in the near future. 

Just checked out Crown of Thorns on YT and unfortunately it's the CD release version not the original vinyl.  Still a must listen if you're already into Pallas though Wink
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 14:55
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 10:09
^ that is a good example how bad vocals can ruin it all. 
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 15:22
I don't like the cacophonous Mars Volta, despite their peculiar sound. In fact I don't consider them prog
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 08:08
Bad Prog? Maybe just stuff I don't personally like:

It Bites
Pallas
Pendragon
Knight Area
Saga
Arena

None of the above bands are "bad" - just not my cup of tea.

(There are many more. Mostly Neo stuff.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123