Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRussian chemical attack on UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Poll Question: How should government respond?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [13.33%]
3 [20.00%]
1 [6.67%]
3 [20.00%]
4 [26.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 04:27
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Steve, no criticism of you. 

However, some people are suggesting that Stalin equals Hitler. Bong, wrong. 

Most are displaying a lack of understanding about the way Russia (and the UK) works. Surprising when we're talking about the ex head of the KGB that a few would be so complimentary about him. 
 Absolutely! This all ties back with what I said about the view that people have of politicians, that they are all absolutely the same. A very immature world view in my opinion.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 05:14

Hi Jean, that's completely correct. Hitler was cautious, Stalin was paranoid. Run a country full of intrigue like Russia, you had to be. Hitler survived quite a few assassination attempts. None were ever made on Stalin. There was one incident in 1936 when he was on holiday and someone fired a gun nearby: it was probably just hunters. The Politburo, who were holidaying with him (of course) hyped the matter up into a supposed assassination attempt so some victims could be found, and hence credit for the discoverer.

Stalin's power was so absolute that the Politburo had to ask him to stop walking around the Kremlin late at night on his own in the 30's. (No one dared touch him. Apparently a tramp asked him for some money one night. Stalin gave him 10 roubles. The tramp cursed him as a "damn bourgeois" for having so much money. Stalin said to a friend, "Who can understand our people ? " 

With regards to the idea that the Russians were going to invade first in WW2, someone is reading the wrong history books.

Stalin actually placed some naïve faith in the Ribbentrop pact and, whilst he was increasing forces on his Western front in 1941, had no plans of invading until 1942 at the earliest and possibly more like 1943. This is why the Germans pushed all the way initially to Briansk: in a lot of cases, Soviet forces were under initial orders to not attack attacking German forces.

Stalin famously retreated to his dacha and did nothing for a week after the invasion: he was apparently stunned by it and thought the Politburo would replace him.

Hitler actually survived 42 attempts on his life, which made him all the more believe in "die Vorsehung" (German for "providence, destiny"), which he actually always pronounced "Forrssehung"

Edited by BaldJean - April 10 2018 at 05:16

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 08:45
Yep, the chosen one. In that instance, they are somewhat messianically similar. ;-)

A lot of early Communists were siezed with an almost proto-religious zeal - God was dead but the new ideology filled that gap. 

Trying to compare Stalin era Russia with Nazi Germany gets nobody anywhere. Trying to compare Stalin to Putin has much the same effect. It helps to understand the Russian mentality, but to quote Turgenev - "Russia cannot be understood with the mind alone". 

Non UK readers of this thread also seem to have some basic fundamental misconceptions about how things work here from a political viewpoint. And also the practical difficulties of manufacturing Novichok (and variants) outside of the three Russian plants in which it's made. It's not something you do using a Thomas Salter chemistry kit. 

Now some nit picker will come along and sieze on an absolute minor point, holding on to it like glue, ignoring the big picture *or* come up with some great conceptual leap by going 20 conclusions ahead because it's the internet, folks, and opinion is everything and knowledge is baaaad. 

Dunning - Kruger effect. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 08:46
PS Old Uncle Adolf, what a great accent. ;-)

I thought Bruno Ganz did a great impression of him. 

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 09:18

PS Old Uncle Adolf, what a great accent. ;-)

I thought Bruno Ganz did a great impression of him. 

Bruno Ganz is a great actor; he is not the current holder of the Iffland-ring for nothing.

the Iffland-ring is a diamond-studded ring with the picture of August Wilhelm Iffland, a prominent German actor, dramatist and theatre director of the late 18th and early 19th century. the holder of the Iffland-Ring is considered to be the "most significant and most worthy actor of the German-speaking theatre", in the opinion of the previous holder who has passed it to him by will

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 09:38
Marx was  wrongly attributed saying that religion was the opium of the people - it's been since ascertained  that what he really said on the ocasion (in an exceptional visionary anticipation) was: "Television will be the opium of the people"
(and Engels by his side muttered "... the web, Karl, it's the web...", provoking a general lenient smile)

Just my to cents for the global enlightnement
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 09:57
They both used to have long discussions in a library here in Manchester. Engels (rich family) was writing "condition of the working class in Manchester" at the time. They sat there and mainly spouted a load of old cobblers, Marx was mainly going on about Capital as the byproduct of labour in terms of profit (and who should own it). Engels was more "social" in nature. 

When you read what Engels has to say about the Irish population of Manchester, you'll be quite amazed at how utterly racist he was.

But I digress. 

Having actually read both books, that is. ;-)

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 10:28
Now that we're off on old Adolf, I suppose you could say that he garnered a cult of personality for himself as well as believing and portraying that he was some kind of Nazi messiah.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 13:04
I always distrust men (politicians, particularly) with  facial/head capillary oddities  - strange moustaches/beards/hairdos tend to light a red alarm, for me.
For this purpose  I would include Adolf,Josef and Donald in the same category, and leave out only Putin (what was the other option? ah, yes, Bush - well, he has to be out, too)
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 16:22
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

I always distrust men (politicians, particularly) with  facial/head capillary oddities  - strange moustaches/beards/hairdos tend to light a red alarm, for me.
For this purpose  I would include Adolf,Josef and Donald in the same category, and leave out only Putin (what was the other option? ah, yes, Bush - well, he has to be out, too)

very interesting. how about Charlie Chaplin? I mention him because not only were his and Hitler's mustaches quite alike, they also were only 4 days apart in age, with Chaplin being the slightly older one, which is why Chaplin used to say about Hitler: "this guy has stolen my mustache"!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 01:59
Hm, "facial hair as a potential indicator of dictatorship. "

There's a research grant in there somewhere. ;-)))))

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 02:26

I doubt if such a relationship can be established. OK, let's look at some of today's dictators: the recently disposed ruler of Zimbabwe, Mugabe, had a moustache not unlike Hitler's, but Juncker and Kim Jong-un shave themselves. OK,  Junck may be not exactly a dictator since he is a puppet whose strings are operated by George Soros, but Soros does not wear facial hair either. Kim's unorthodox hairdo fits in with Quinino's theory... And Erdoğan has something of a moustache... Confused

Edited by someone_else - April 11 2018 at 03:01
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 05:22
Unorthodox hairdos remind me of televangelists for some reason, though I'm sure that's just a stereotype. And then there's the world of music in the 1980s...
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 07:20

this is what I have to think of when it comes to unorthodox hairstyles: Rasputin, a Russian mystic with considerable influence on Tsar Nikolas II, the last tsar of Russia

Edited by BaldJean - April 11 2018 at 07:26

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 07:30

Possible working title for your paper: Decapitation and shaving rash : From the Guillotine to Gillette
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 07:53
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Possible working title for your paper: Decapitation and shaving rash : From the Guillotine to Gillette

quite good, but a small improvement:

Decapitation and Depilation: From the Guillotine to Gillette

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 07:55
I love how this thread has morphed more times than Cher's hair color.

If you want unorthodox hairstyles, check out some of my friends, meet the dogtater! LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 07:55
UPDATE:
To be completely rigorous I'd have to mention Genghis Khan in the lot (Mike Portnoy doesn't qualify as he's not into politics !)

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 08:20
^ he truly holds the record of being born in the middle of nowhere and rising up and conquering more territory than any empire since within a single life time. Probably all of Central Asia is his ancestry Wacko

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 08:26
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I love how this thread has morphed more times than Cher's hair color.

Truly. Let's make a move towards the original topic with a 19yo Jan Akkerman on guitar:

Edited by someone_else - April 11 2018 at 08:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>