Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern bands like Spirogyra or The Pentangle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern bands like Spirogyra or The Pentangle
    Posted: August 08 2018 at 05:15
I also wanted to hear some new bands like that, so I've checked out most suggestions here - but i've hardly enjoyed any of it. Lots of weak vocals I must say. But today I stumbled over some lovely progfolk by the completely unknown and unheard Toadstone. Released two weeks ago. Dark, eerie, mystical atmosphere very nice female&male vocals (think Sonia Kristina at her ghostliest) + an end epic... all you can dream of. Check them out: Toadstone   

Cag71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cag71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 05:09
My recommendations:

Sloth Metropolis - Origins (Bandcamp)
Seas of Mirth - Hark! The Headland approacheth (Bandcamp)
Mordecai Smyth - The Mayor of Toytown is Dead (Bandcamp)

Amazing Blondel
Ougenweide
Smell of Incense

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 14:30
Mark Mc Dowell & Friends- Dark Weave; This is very current and very folk-psyche, only just discovered it myself and heartily recommend it!

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 07:54
Originally posted by starofsirius7 starofsirius7 wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Richard Dawson's Peasant might be what you're looking for. It has a psychedelic playfulness to it, although it's more aggressive and twangy than Spirogyra or The Pentangle. 

You might check out Current 93. David Tibet is far less musical than the folks in Spirogyra and The Pentangle, but is great at building an immersive, unsettling atmosphere, and making his albums sound like they are thousands of years old. 

Sounds interesting I will have to check it out. I feel like the name Current 93 sounds very familiar. Did that band work with Death in June?
Douglas P. has been on some Current 93 records, I think.
starofsirius7 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starofsirius7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 23:22
That is very pretty and soothing!
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 14:40
Originally posted by starofsirius7 starofsirius7 wrote:

Are there any modern bands that do the psych folk male/female duo type thing?

Sedmina - not so modern but it fits the definition perfectly:

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starofsirius7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 17:17
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Richard Dawson's Peasant might be what you're looking for. It has a psychedelic playfulness to it, although it's more aggressive and twangy than Spirogyra or The Pentangle. 

You might check out Current 93. David Tibet is far less musical than the folks in Spirogyra and The Pentangle, but is great at building an immersive, unsettling atmosphere, and making his albums sound like they are thousands of years old. 

Sounds interesting I will have to check it out. I feel like the name Current 93 sounds very familiar. Did that band work with Death in June?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 08:02

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 07:45
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Came into my mind Finnish folkband Värttinä. It hasn´t got much to do with prog, but anyway I really have liked it, specially their 80-90 albums (their newer material has electro elements). Here´s one of their piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbrJNJknIf0&t=0s&list=PL5DF42146202E4A75&index=2

Värttinä are outstanding Clap. I had the privilege of seeing them in Rome in 2004, and it was a fantastic gig. They were suggested to Prog-Folk at least once in the past, but the suggestion did not go anywhere - which is a pity, because I think they are very progressive (though maybe not in a "traditional prog" sense), and would not be out of place in our database.

As to modern bands with male-female vocals, Fields Burning from Washington DC might be right up your alley:
http://https://fieldsburning.bandcamp.com/releases
BTW have you heard another, older folkgroup "Pihasoittajat"? Their "Kontaten Kotia" is really great album, it seems to be in spotify, here´s a song from their other album in youtube (sadly I didn´t found songs from that great album):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWlJyc5ut4M

Also, if "folkpunk" is not too much, "Sielun Veljet" has made really outstanding album "Suomi-Finland", it has folkelements and instruments, it´s also in spotify, here´s a song from it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzKP6yFkids
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 06:56
You should try Fit & Limo. A male/female duo that take a lot from the ISB.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 06:16
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Came into my mind Finnish folkband Värttinä. It hasn´t got much to do with prog, but anyway I really have liked it, specially their 80-90 albums (their newer material has electro elements). Here´s one of their piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbrJNJknIf0&t=0s&list=PL5DF42146202E4A75&index=2

Värttinä are outstanding Clap. I had the privilege of seeing them in Rome in 2004, and it was a fantastic gig. They were suggested to Prog-Folk at least once in the past, but the suggestion did not go anywhere - which is a pity, because I think they are very progressive (though maybe not in a "traditional prog" sense), and would not be out of place in our database.

As to modern bands with male-female vocals, Fields Burning from Washington DC might be right up your alley:
I saw them first time 1991. They were playing acoustic in one festival in Finland, I mean they´re with audience, they hadn´t got official gig there. Really their young energy hit me and I soon bought their album "Oi Dai". Saw them after that some times in the official gigs with amplifers. I think they lost something their original energy when Sari left, become a little bit too professional, but of course they´re still very great and original band. They really become a great time, folk music has become very "institutional" in Finland, it´s now much more living than those days.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 06:02

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 04:39
I must admit, nothing can top the amazing talents of Spirogyra. Cockerham, Gaskin, Borrill, Cusack (and guests) - what a team !!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 04:11
Also have to mention Fotheringay, their only album is really great! And Sandy´s first solos too!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 04:09
Just come to mind Judy Dyble has made quite great solo albums in 2000`s. Flow & Change is the best album of those. Also, if haven´t heard her band Trader Horne, really highly recommended to you, they made only one album "Morning Way".
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starofsirius7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 03:45
I liked all these recommandations! You guys are really good. I have found so much new stuff to explore. Even though I believe nothing will top the originals it's nice to see some new blood doing that type of genre justice. I don't mean to keep repeating myself but that style of music is just to beautiful to die off completely. It would be such a shame. Thanks for showing me these wonderful newer bands.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starofsirius7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 03:37
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^I also like Circulus...psychy weird folk... though to me they aren't really that close to Spirogyra or Pentangle for that matter....who are more like Fairport Convention or Trees imho.
You might like Wolf People....but it has a dark prog folk edge to it.
I like Espers but again they have a moody psychy edge and not quite as playful as Spirogyra was.

I'm new to this forum and forums in general so if I'm doing something odd/wrong sorry. I liked Circulus they reminded me of The Incredible String Band a bit. Well from the song I listened too. I do think the outfits were a bit much though lol. I also really liked Wolf People. I don't mind the dark sound at all and I prob should of used examples of that type of music like Commus as well since it's a similar sound I wish I could hear more of.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 21:26
how about Galley Beggar?  They might be more in a Fairport/Steeleye lineage but their last album Heathen Hymns might be the best bet
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 18:52
I love Spirogyra, and though I've listened to so much of other stuff, I can't think of anyone close with the type of quality, especially vocally.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 13:32
nightwish
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>