Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsteve hackett ( please don,t touch )

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: steve hackett ( please don,t touch )
    Posted: March 15 2018 at 14:09
Yes i know steve hackett solo works are great but my take on this one is rather unique i believe steve had assembled , the very best line up ,for this one richie havens ,steve walsh but for me there is a sense of incompleteness, to this record just seems to me after departing GENESIS he wants it all on one record, my personal favorites are there NARNIA ,HOW CAN I and ICARUS ASCENDING RACING IN A also i very much enjoyed KIM but my feeling about the record is akin to some of phil collins solo outings, very overblown although i am not expecting TRESSPASS but a subtle approach would do just fine e.g banks a curious feeling or hacketts VOYAGE OF THE ACOLYTE once again thank you for taking the time to read this review grant

Edited by grantman - March 15 2018 at 16:56
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 16:15
The album holds a special place in my memory, although it was a lesser work between 'Voyage' and 'Spectral Mornings'. Some cracking and very melodic songs, along with the trademark oddities (although the lyrics of 'The Ballad of the Decomposing Man' still makes me chuckle, and 'Carry On Up the Vicarage' has a quirky charm).

For me the weakness of the album, is also its strength for others. I find the lack of a single vocalist leads to an unevenness to the whole album. They all do a superb job, but with Steve still not sure about his vocal style and his confidence in holding down a whole album alone, it is disjointed.

I do remember purposely playing 'Racing in A' and 'Narnia' before I took important school exams on consecutive days. I was in the habit of getting a song in my head, and if it was a dodgy one heard from the radio, I would be hearing it throughout the exam. So I decided that if I was going to have a song in my head during the hours of my A Level exams - I wanted it to be a good one!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 19:30
You can't go wrong with Please don't Touch..not my most played Hackett but strong effort nevertheless.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 11:40
It's an experimental, risk-taking album that I didn't like at first, but I kept listening and now it's my very favorite Steve Hackett album. The atmospheres on "side two" are especially strong, and it's far less morose and gloomy than Voyage of the Acolyte. It's the closest he ever came to the other-worldliness of A Trick of the Tail.

Edited by Steve Wyzard - March 19 2018 at 11:41
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 16:34
Everything up through Defector is Hackett at his best.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 00:02
I think he had that period during the eighties after Defector when his albums were a bit off (New wave music was where the action was), but then got his mojo back in the nineties and is still making good music.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 09:22
I was never a fan of "please Don't Touch" other than the wonderful opening track and a couple of others.  It reminded me too much of early Peter Gabriel in that it seemed eclectic in a contrived way, unlike much oif Hackett's other stuff which was eclectic in a more organic way, if that makes sense
 Post Reply Post Reply