Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to confuse a non prog fan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to confuse a non prog fan
    Posted: March 16 2018 at 13:59
John(prog fan)Hello, how are you? What music do you listen to? 
Jennifer(non prog fan and doesn't know what it is)Oh mostly dance pop, rock, some classic rock a little metal. How about you?
John: Mostly prog.
Jennifer: Huh?
John: Prog as in prog rock
Jennifer: What the heck is that?
John: Well, it's music that was popular a long time ago mostly in the early to mid seventies. Lot's of keyboards, long songs, time changes etc.
Jenn: Time what? Long songs? Like hotel california, free bird and stairway to heaven? Keyboards huh?
John: Yeah but way more wild and out there than those songs. I'm talking about bands like Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP, Genesis, King Crimson.
Jenn: Hmmm, well, I've heard of Pink Floyd of course. Great band. I love them. Yes? Is that the name of a band? Seriously? Wow. Genesis? Didn't they have Phil Collins with them? 
John: Yeah, why the heck do I waste my time talking to you? Why don't you go dancing or do your hair or something. Anyway, yeah much more to Genesis than Phil Collins and Yes is the name of a band for crying out loud. Are you serious?
Jenn: Yes, I'm serious and be nice. Just because I don't listen to what you do. 
John: Sorry just can't believe you don't know Yes and only think of Genesis as that band that had Phil Collins. Haven't you heard of Peter Gabriel.
Jenn: Yeah, I know him. Sledgehammer. Right? What about him?
John: He was in Genesis too.
Jenn: No way! Get out of here.
John: Yes way.
Jenn: So tell me more about this prog thing. Would I know any of these songs?
John: No, probably not. If you like classic rock you might know lucky man or roundabout but not much else. It's actually instrumental based for the most part. There can be singing but the focus is often on the instrumental bits and the musicianship.
Jenn: So it's instrumental?
John: No. 
Jenn: You just said it is. How can there be singing and instrumental sections at the same time?
John: Well, they don't occur simultaneously but the there are long instrumental sections.
Jenn: Oh I see. I think. 
John: Like I said. Often longer songs so plenty of room for singing and instrumental sections. 
Jenn: Got it.
John: So are you ready to listen to some prog rock now?
Jenn: Sure
John: Ok, let's go back to my place and do some prog. ;)
Jenn: You got it big boy.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 16 2018 at 15:23
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 14:38
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 02:27
*Puts on Gentle Giant*

Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 02:42
If only it ended that well.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemispheresOfXanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 16:40
Have ypu tried writing erotic fanfics?
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 06:38
Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

Have ypu tried writing erotic fanfics?

No, not yet. I wrote a one act Christmas play, several short stories and when I was younger a lot of poetry. I used to write quite a bit when I was younger in fact. I'm trying to get back into it.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 17:41
Play a punchy prog song at a dance party that starts out in 4/4 time signature and watch what happens to everyone when it switches to 7/8.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 11:46
I don't get it.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 14:50
Or put on Trout Mask Replica, and attempt to dance to it.

Edited by Boojieboy - July 23 2018 at 14:51
 Post Reply Post Reply