Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Dark Side of The Moon Overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 04:03
^I am afraid they can´t do that. Do as I do and copy your post before push Post reply-button.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 07:17
It was pretty ground breaking for its time, its got balance and a great flow, it's biggest flaw is probably just overplay making it way too familiar. Personally I'd pick Animals & WYWH ahead of it but its hard to argue against it's merits.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 07:44
overrated indeed---but still good---lot's of easy listening on it which could explain its worldwide popularity---it became this magical record---a good title didn't hurt---and a worldwide phenomenon where if you didn't;t buy it and listen to it---you weren't normal or cool. I didn't care about being normal but I did want to be cool so I bought itLOL

it's a very good album --do I listen to it often--no---Pink Floyd made "prog" that was universally accepted by everyone and this album did that tenfold.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 07:56
Overrated, no. Overplayed, maybe. Songs like "Money" have definately been played to death, however this is an album that transcends generations and is instantly loveable by anyone who hears it for the first time. In that regard, DARK SIDE is a gateway drug to the greater prog universe and that can not be a bad thing. I purposefully do not listen to this one on my own because i know it will be playing somewhere out of my control. Despite it's popularity, it is an awesomely brilliant album.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 07:56
Not overrated in the slightest.
This album, in my opinion, has it all. It is extremely special and unique, especially for the time it was made...1973? Are you kidding?! It is amazing.

Alan Parsons deserves to be commended for his tape splicing and sound samples.
That f**king sh*t takes days man!!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 08:11
Certainly not - great artistic achievement in popular music still highly enjoyable after, what?, more than 40 years !!!!
Try to beat that ...
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 08:50
NO.
PROGMATIC
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 09:02
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

The one redeeming factor for me is that it at least segues people into more progressive music, that might otherwise have not shifted that way. Entry level progressive rock IMHO. It's impossible for me to see this album as anything other than what mall kids ages 15-19 think they should be showing people they listen to.

This^, as it was for me. I do, however, uphold two significant things DSoTM achieved for me that were relatively groundbreaking and have stood the test of time: the pristine sound engineering and the way songs all bleed one into the next giving it a seemless flow-through feel that I had not felt before (especially Side One and the second 2/3 of Side Two.) Also, some of the song sounds were, for me, quite revolutionary: the "On the Run" running, explosion, and dragon toms sequence; Clare Torrey's vocalise on "Great Gig" and the synthesizer-guitar interplay on "Any Colour You Like." Plus, that spoken quote at the end of "Eclipse" is immortal.

The fact that this album holds the all-time record for the most weeks spent in the Billboard album charts in the US illustrates your point above: that this album sucked a lot of teenagers into the prog scene; it acted as a gateway drug for many future prog lovers (as did many more watered down, more accessible early releases like In The Court of The Crimson King, Third, In the Land of Pink and Grey, Demons and Wizards, Per un amico, and Crime of The Century. I find it hard to imagine prog virgins getting sucked into an addiction by Zappa, Nucleus, Matching Mole, Banco, or Close to the Edge.  
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 09:03

The one redeeming factor for me is that it at least segues people into more progressive music, that might otherwise have not shifted that way. Entry level progressive rock IMHO. It's impossible for me to see this album as anything other than what mall kids ages 15-19 think they should be showing people they listen to.

This^, as it was for me. I do, however, uphold two significant things DSoTM achieved for me that were relatively groundbreaking and have stood the test of time: the pristine sound engineering and the way songs all bleed one into the next giving it a seemless flow-through feel that I had not felt before (especially Side One and the second 2/3 of Side Two.) Also, some of the song sounds were, for me, quite revolutionary: the "On the Run" running, explosion, and dragon toms sequence; Clare Torrey's vocalise on "Great Gig" and the synthesizer-guitar interplay on "Any Colour You Like." Plus, that spoken quote at the end of "Eclipse" is immortal.

The fact that this album holds the all-time record for the most weeks spent in the Billboard album charts in the US illustrates your point above: that this album sucked a lot of teenagers into the prog scene; it acted as a gateway drug for many future prog lovers (as did many more watered down, more accessible early releases like In The Court of The Crimson KingThirdIn the Land of Pink and Grey, Demons and WizardsPer un amico, and Crime of The Century. I find it hard to imagine prog virgins getting sucked into an addiction by Zappa, Nucleus, Matching Mole, Banco, or Close to the Edge.  

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 09:39
Nice album, but all I care for is Time and Money. Time is frickin excellent. The rest doesn’t do much for me, quite boring really. I still don’t see what made that album’s brand of a avant-garde more widely adorable than Umma Gumma, or how it is somehow less boring than Atom Heart Mother, which I think is underrated by its own creators. I prefer Umma Gumma, Saucerful of Secrets, Meddle and Wish You Were Here over DSOTM. I do like DSOTM better than The Wall.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 09:42
Underrated
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 09:44
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

It was pretty ground breaking for its time, its got balance and a great flow, it's biggest flaw is probably just overplay making it way too familiar. Personally I'd pick Animals & WYWH ahead of it but its hard to argue against it's merits.
Exactly my thoughts. That album was ground braking back in the day, and was deemed as futuristic by many people, but overplay has killed most of it's merits over the years.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 09:50
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

The fact that this album holds the all-time record for the most weeks spent in the Billboard album charts in the US illustrates your point above: that this album sucked a lot of teenagers into the prog scene; it acted as a gateway drug for many future prog lovers (as did many more watered down, more accessible early releases like In The Court of The Crimson KingThirdIn the Land of Pink and Grey, Demons and WizardsPer un amico, and Crime of The Century. I find it hard to imagine prog virgins getting sucked into an addiction by Zappa, Nucleus, Matching Mole, Banco, or Close to the Edge.  

I do think DSOTM had a well-deserved reputation for quality recording. Whenever people spent oo goodles of money on a seriously high quality stereo system, I think they could generally think of no better way to test it out or christen it than with a newly purchased Dark Side of the Moon album. And who wants a DSOTM album with a scratch. Best to just buy a new one.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 10:48
No, it is not "overrated" -- I don't really see how anyone could make the claim. It is universally lauded as one of the greatest albums of all-time by critics, and evidently the general public feels the same, having kept it on the bestseller charts from 1973 to 1988, and it has returned to the charts every time it was re-released in a different format. 

In addition, it is one of the few albums where lovers of disparate forms of music generally agree on its excellence. Long after "prog" had its fifteen minutes of fame in the 70s, DSotM retained its value, and the album remains in the collections of hard-rockers, metal-heads, psychedelia-lovers, punks and progolydytes.

Even the album cover is iconic, perhaps the most recognizable design this side of the Rolling Stone's lips and tongue. The prism design is omnipresent throughout the world.

The songwriting seems to be intentionally written in a diluted way. It feels incomplete, even on repeated listens. I feel like I'm dealing with the Wal Mart special of PF albums.

It would seem you lack context in regards to the composition. A provisional title of the album was early on Dark Side of the Moon: A Piece for Assorted Lunatics, and each song deals with an aspect of madness, and the album itself is one of the best "concepts" ever released. The album itself is seamless, one song floating into another, and as far as you considering the songs as somehow "incomplete", as a composer and lyricist, I have no idea what you are getting at. 

DSotM is complete as far as I'm concerned, and it is the reason we even still speak of Pink Floyd in such expansive terms -- their fame rests on this album, no matter if you get an erection for later albums like WYWH or Animals. The Floyd albums previous to DSotM are generally meandering and often pointless digressions into psych trippiness. Their releases up to this point are hit-and-miss for the most part. Even a genuinely good album like Meddle has obvious head-scratching filler (for every "Echoes" or "One of These Days", there is a "Seamus" or "San Tropez"). 

But DSotM is the most cohesive of Floyd albums, and the great Wish You Were Here (whether you like it more or not) is really a continuation of DSotM's conceptualization, seamlessness and compositional style. One does not exist without the other, both from an historical or writing/composing perspective.

I don't care for DSoTM due to the tech advances. They are there, no denying. It's the songs themselves that don't gel with me.

Recording tech is irrelevant to the the songwriting, and vice versa for me.

Again, your lack of context is particularly devoid of any rational perspective. What makes an album "great" in many instances is not only the composition (which I would insist for this album is superb), but also both the aural and visual presentation. When there is a list of great rock albums, we also refer to the the album art (which I mentioned before as iconic), and "how" the album sounded. sh*tty sounding albums, poor production quality and lack of detail is often derided here on ProgArchives when reviewing albums -- because sound matters to us.

I remember listening to DSotM in 1973  and was astounded at the quality of the sound from the first play. The moment you heard it, you knew it was special -- and, well...different. Perhaps listeners from a different generation with their ears attuned to digitized marginalization and noise-defeating technologies simply do not comprehend how amazing the sound was (I still recall the alarm clock going off in "Time" -- what a trip).

But the sound quality and being able to hear bells, ticking, various road noises, etc. would be just a novelty and soon dismissed if it weren't for how the songs themselves mattered in that time period. The songs themselves struck a "chord" to the listeners of that era. They captured the sentiment of the time (which is relatable to the ongoing popularity of Sabbath -- people literally lived Sabbath back in the day).

So, you wore out your orignal vinyl record, fried your 8-track, tried to sync it to The Wizard of Oz and failed, unraveled your cassette, sold your laser disc version at a garage sale when you got it on CD, bought a gold CD, got a remaster, and maybe even bought it SACD or MSFL vinyl. Because it sounds that good.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 12:03
^Clap
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
JesusisLord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 12:48
From Heartbeat To Heartbeat, Perfect in Every Way
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 12:53
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

No, it is not "overrated" -- I don't really see how anyone could make the claim. It is universally lauded as one of the greatest albums of all-time by critics, and evidently the general public feels the same, having kept it on the bestseller charts from 1973 to 1988, and it has returned to the charts every time it was re-released in a different format. 

In addition, it is one of the few albums where lovers of disparate forms of music generally agree on its excellence. Long after "prog" had its fifteen minutes of fame in the 70s, DSotM retained its value, and the album remains in the collections of hard-rockers, metal-heads, psychedelia-lovers, punks and progolydytes.

Even the album cover is iconic, perhaps the most recognizable design this side of the Rolling Stone's lips and tongue. The prism design is omnipresent throughout the world.

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">The songwriting seems to be intentionally written in a diluted way. It feels incomplete, even on repeated listens. I feel like I'm dealing with the Wal Mart special of PF albums.
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">
</span>
It would seem you lack context in regards to the composition. A provisional title of the album was early on Dark Side of the Moon: A Piece for Assorted Lunatics, and each song deals with an aspect of madness, and the album itself is one of the best "concepts" ever released. The album itself is seamless, one song floating into another, and as far as you considering the songs as somehow "incomplete", as a composer and lyricist, I have no idea what you are getting at. 

DSotM is complete as far as I'm concerned, and it is the reason we even still speak of Pink Floyd in such expansive terms -- their fame rests on this album, no matter if you get an erection for later albums like WYWH or Animals. The Floyd albums previous to DSotM are generally meandering and often pointless digressions into psych trippiness. Their releases up to this point are hit-and-miss for the most part. Even a genuinely good album like Meddle has obvious head-scratching filler (for every "Echoes" or "One of These Days", there is a "Seamus" or "San Tropez"). 

But DSotM is the most cohesive of Floyd albums, and the great Wish You Were Here (whether you like it more or not) is really a continuation of DSotM's conceptualization, seamlessness and compositional style. One does not exist without the other, both from an historical or writing/composing perspective.
<div style="line-height: 16.5455px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.5455px;">

I don't care for DSoTM due to the tech advances. They are there, no denying. It's the songs themselves that don't gel with me.<div style="line-height: 16.5455px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.5455px;">Recording tech is irrelevant to the the songwriting, and vice versa for me.

Again, your lack of context is particularly devoid of any rational perspective. What makes an album "great" in many instances is not only the composition (which I would insist for this album is superb), but also both the aural and visual presentation. When there is a list of great rock albums, we also refer to the the album art (which I mentioned before as iconic), and "how" the album sounded. sh*tty sounding albums, poor production quality and lack of detail is often derided here on ProgArchives when reviewing albums -- because sound matters to us.

I remember listening to DSotM in 1973  and was astounded at the quality of the sound from the first play. The moment you heard it, you knew it was special -- and, well...different. Perhaps listeners from a different generation with their ears attuned to digitized marginalization and noise-defeating technologies simply do not comprehend how amazing the sound was (I still recall the alarm clock going off in "Time" -- what a trip).

But the sound quality and being able to hear bells, ticking, various road noises, etc. would be just a novelty and soon dismissed if it weren't for how the songs themselves mattered in that time period. The songs themselves struck a "chord" to the listeners of that era. They captured the sentiment of the time (which is relatable to the ongoing popularity of Sabbath -- people literally lived Sabbath back in the day).

So, you wore out your orignal vinyl record, fried your 8-track, tried to sync it to The Wizard of Oz and failed, unraveled your cassette, sold your laser disc version at a garage sale when you got it on CD, bought a gold CD, got a remaster, and maybe even bought it SACD or MSFL vinyl. Because it sounds that good.

I was going to write a lengthy tome on just how silly the premise of the question was, until I saw this, which just about says it all quite eloquently.

DSOTM will live as a piece long after we have all shuffled off of this mortal coil. It captured the zeitgeist of the time perfectly.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 13:04
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Underrated

seems that way doesn't it hahah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 13:46
Compared to other prog albums? Yes. I look at it this way. Dark side of the moon is certified 15 million platinum(RIAA)(as of 1998)but now has sold more like 22 million at least. Close to the edge according to the RIAA has only gone platinum(one time) as of 1998 and Selling England only gold(again according to the RIAA and as of 1990). Does DSOTM deserve to have sold 15 times as many(if not more)albums as Close to the Edge? I don't think so. In prog circles all are about equal though in terms of influence and popularity so it's only when you step outside ofstrictly prog circles where CTTE and SEBTP are relatively unknown. So over all yeah it's over rated especially when compared to other prog albums like I said(and not just the two examples I gave).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 18 2018 at 13:48
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 14:01
DSOTM is special because, in addition to what many others have said (re gateway, sound quality, composition), I think many of us would not be who we are but for this album. For many of us (including myself) it was the album that opened up a world of possibilities for what could be done in music, and it came with a particular kind of political sensibility that few bands other than Floyd could really communicate, at least not as emotionally. 

While I agree that Close to the Edge and Selling England are on the same plane musically - i.e. equally musical - I think I still would have been the same person if one of those two albums didn't exist. But I might not have 'found music' if it weren't for DSOTM. 

But of course, I am not sure if the same is true for new listeners so many years on...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>