Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Dark Side of The Moon Overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 14:32
Probably as overrated as Steel Mill’s Green Eyed God Album from that era was underrated!
And in case anyone is interested the album was reissued by Riseabove records in 2013 both in CD and vinyl format. Renamed Jewels of the Forest with some previously unreleased tracks on it. There is also a Steel Mill website steelmill2015.com and a more recent album called Body in the Water check it out!!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 14:50
Originally posted by Vox201 Vox201 wrote:

Probably as overrated as Steel Mill’s Green Eyed God Album from that era was underrated!
And in case anyone is interested the album was reissued by Riseabove records in 2013 both in CD and vinyl format. Renamed Jewels of the Forest with some previously unreleased tracks on it. There is also a Steel Mill website steelmill2015.com and a more recent album called Body in the Water check it out!!

what? 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 15:08
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

No, it is not "overrated" -- I don't really see how anyone could make the claim. It is universally lauded as one of the greatest albums of all-time by critics, and evidently the general public feels the same, having kept it on the bestseller charts from 1973 to 1988, and it has returned to the charts every time it was re-released in a different format. 

In addition, it is one of the few albums where lovers of disparate forms of music generally agree on its excellence. Long after "prog" had its fifteen minutes of fame in the 70s, DSotM retained its value, and the album remains in the collections of hard-rockers, metal-heads, psychedelia-lovers, punks and progolydytes.

Even the album cover is iconic, perhaps the most recognizable design this side of the Rolling Stone's lips and tongue. The prism design is omnipresent throughout the world.

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

The songwriting seems to be intentionally written in a diluted way. It feels incomplete, even on repeated listens. I feel like I'm dealing with the Wal Mart special of PF albums.

It would seem you lack context in regards to the composition. A provisional title of the album was early on Dark Side of the Moon: A Piece for Assorted Lunatics, and each song deals with an aspect of madness, and the album itself is one of the best "concepts" ever released. The album itself is seamless, one song floating into another, and as far as you considering the songs as somehow "incomplete", as a composer and lyricist, I have no idea what you are getting at. 

DSotM is complete as far as I'm concerned, and it is the reason we even still speak of Pink Floyd in such expansive terms -- their fame rests on this album, no matter if you get an erection for later albums like WYWH or Animals. The Floyd albums previous to DSotM are generally meandering and often pointless digressions into psych trippiness. Their releases up to this point are hit-and-miss for the most part. Even a genuinely good album like Meddle has obvious head-scratching filler (for every "Echoes" or "One of These Days", there is a "Seamus" or "San Tropez"). 

But DSotM is the most cohesive of Floyd albums, and the great Wish You Were Here (whether you like it more or not) is really a continuation of DSotM's conceptualization, seamlessness and compositional style. One does not exist without the other, both from an historical or writing/composing perspective.

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I don't care for DSoTM due to the tech advances. They are there, no denying. It's the songs themselves that don't gel with me.

Recording tech is irrelevant to the the songwriting, and vice versa for me.

Again, your lack of context is particularly devoid of any rational perspective. What makes an album "great" in many instances is not only the composition (which I would insist for this album is superb), but also both the aural and visual presentation. When there is a list of great rock albums, we also refer to the the album art (which I mentioned before as iconic), and "how" the album sounded. sh*tty sounding albums, poor production quality and lack of detail is often derided here on ProgArchives when reviewing albums -- because sound matters to us.

I remember listening to DSotM in 1973  and was astounded at the quality of the sound from the first play. The moment you heard it, you knew it was special -- and, well...different. Perhaps listeners from a different generation with their ears attuned to digitized marginalization and noise-defeating technologies simply do not comprehend how amazing the sound was (I still recall the alarm clock going off in "Time" -- what a trip).

But the sound quality and being able to hear bells, ticking, various road noises, etc. would be just a novelty and soon dismissed if it weren't for how the songs themselves mattered in that time period. The songs themselves struck a "chord" to the listeners of that era. They captured the sentiment of the time (which is relatable to the ongoing popularity of Sabbath -- people literally lived Sabbath back in the day).

So, you wore out your orignal vinyl record, fried your 8-track, tried to sync it to The Wizard of Oz and failed, unraveled your cassette, sold your laser disc version at a garage sale when you got it on CD, bought a gold CD, got a remaster, and maybe even bought it SACD or MSFL vinyl. Because it sounds that good.

At least you took the time to write out your reasoning, instead of being churlish, elitist, and simply telling me "No, your opinion is wrong". Thank you for taking time to articulate your position. You've made some solid points, and I'll have to reconsider the context thing in your second half there Thumbs Up.

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Compared to other prog albums? Yes. I look at it this way. Dark side of the moon is certified 15 million platinum(RIAA)(as of 1998)but now has sold more like 22 million at least. Close to the edge according to the RIAA has only gone platinum(one time) as of 1998 and Selling England only gold(again according to the RIAA and as of 1990). Does DSOTM deserve to have sold 15 times as many(if not more)albums as Close to the Edge? I don't think so. In prog circles all are about equal though in terms of influence and popularity so it's only when you step outside ofstrictly prog circles where CTTE and SEBTP are relatively unknown. So over all yeah it's over rated especially when compared to other prog albums like I said(and not just the two examples I gave).

Your post is getting to the heart of what I'm trying to convey.

I personally do not measure success by record sales; especially prog. Art transcends capitalism/consumerism for me. Hell, it's usually a telling sign if it sells more than a raw prog record, like Close to The Edge. This is the crux of my argument; we have a ton of padding from casual fans boosting this record through sales. There's nothing wrong this this at all; it just stands that if people are going to argue sales, recognize that probably 3/4 of those sales are by people who wouldn't even know/care that PF is a prog band, let alone tell you who recorded CTTE or SEBTP.

The magic of DSoTM for me is that it introduced more people to the genre that otherwise wouldn't. It was a nice dip in the prog pool for your average commercial listener. As a result it got more sales, and thus appears to be irrationally heralded as the top of progressive rock by people who probably couldn't even tell you who did CTTE or SEBTP. 

I find Metallica's self title is overrated as "THE metal album" for this exact same reason.

If we accept that precept as a valid metric, than there can be little to no argument if some people prefer musicianship and a bit more complexity as a standard for their prog rock gems, even if their numbers are less than the mainstream audience. It's because of this I keep saying it's overrated.

Good views in this thread though, and I'm definitely doing more homework on this one with a different pair of ears.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - March 18 2018 at 15:27

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 15:28
probs
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 15:31
Maybe as an album it is, but it still makes a pretty decent stereo test disc.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 15:33
[The magic of DSoTM for me is that it introduced more people to the genre that otherwise wouldn't]

Yeah probably as long as it's understood that many(if not most)Pink Floyd fans(even those who are really into them and big fans)don't convert to prog fans(hardcore or otherwise). Heck even many Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater fans don't become big prog fans. You have to be an inquisitive person who "wants to hear more of this kind of thing" and go out searching for it(imo). 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 16:20
Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

DSOTM is special because, in addition to what many others have said (re gateway, sound quality, composition), I think many of us would not be who we are but for this album. For many of us (including myself) it was the album that opened up a world of possibilities for what could be done in music, and it came with a particular kind of political sensibility that few bands other than Floyd could really communicate, at least not as emotionally. 

While I agree that Close to the Edge and Selling England are on the same plane musically - i.e. equally musical - I think I still would have been the same person if one of those two albums didn't exist. But I might not have 'found music' if it weren't for DSOTM. 

But of course, I am not sure if the same is true for new listeners so many years on...
...um, you mean, if it weren't for the Lamb. We all have such different answers for that, don't we?
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Vox201 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 17:09
If you don’t know this album by UK prog rock band Steel Mill I would suggest that your knowledge of prog rock is incomplete. You are probably also not aware of their cult following and the fact that one of the original Green eyed god albums sold for over $2000 on eBay a few years ago.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 17:23
Of course it's overrated, I mean, it's one of the most commercially successful albums after all, but it's not bad "per se".
Now, commercial success is linked to demographics. Justin Bieber or Britney Spears are for early teens, young men like something in the vein of Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Soundgarden, for instance...
I see DSOTM as a sort of Jack of all trades, and it covers all demographics. It's a pretty safe record for that reason: no excesses, songs that are not too long, not too short, a sound that is not too soft, nor too heavy. It's an all-encompassing album that's never boring, but never frenetic. Nothing about it is divisive...and that's the main issue: it lacks balls, it lacks passion, it lacks the qualities a classic should have. It was made to reach every single being in a way record companies never thought possible.
I think real masterworks are made of pure quality, belong to a genre and are divisive (Thick as a Brick, Close to the Edge). That's why, despite selling more than every other prog rock album, it's not a classic in my book: it lacks prog, it lacks rock, it lacks pop...it's stuck in the middle of everything.

EDIT and tl;dr: I consider being commercially successful to be something REALLY GOOD. But it's impossible to make a classic that way, because in order to reach the most people you need to make compromises and be tame. What you guys call "sell out".

Edited by Upbeat Tango Monday - March 18 2018 at 17:37
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 17:43
IMHO  Dark Side of the moon is really  overrated  
First - Because , although deserve figures between the great albuns of all times, I think which even in Pink Floyd discography  Meddle is a much better ! 
Second - Other albums from other bands like YES "Fragile" and "Relayer". Genesis "Foxtrot" and "Nursery Crime", King Crimson "Larks..." and "Starless", Gentle Giant "In a Glass House", Rush "A Farewell TO Kings" and "Hemispheres", E L & Palmer "Brain Sallad Surgery" and "Tarkus", Return to Forever "The Romantic Warior", Frank Zappa "Hot Rats" etc, etc, etc... are very underrated in relation to Dark Side .
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 17:44
A classic album - not overrated at all. I overplayed it when I was younger and it tends to be a long time now between plays compared to other classic albums. However, when I do, I realise how good it is. It was the entry point for many people into prog rock and deserves respect enough for that alone.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 17:46
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

Of course it's overrated, I mean, it's one of the most commercially successful albums after all, but it's not bad "per se".
Now, commercial success is linked to demographics. Justin Bieber or Britney Spears are for early teens, young men like something in the vein of Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Soundgarden, for instance...
I see DSOTM as a sort of Jack of all trades, and it covers all demographics. It's a pretty safe record for that reason: no excesses, songs that are not too long, not too short, a sound that is not too soft, nor too heavy. It's an all-encompassing album that's never boring, but never frenetic. Nothing about it is divisive...and that's the main issue: it lacks balls, it lacks passion, it lacks the qualities a classic should have. It was made to reach every single being in a way record companies never thought possible.
I think real masterworks are made of pure quality, belong to a genre and are divisive (Thick as a Brick, Close to the Edge). That's why, despite selling more than every other prog rock album, it's not a classic in my book: it lacks prog, it lacks rock, it lacks pop...it's stuck in the middle of everything.

EDIT and tl;dr: I consider being commercially successful to be something REALLY GOOD. But it's impossible to make a classic that way, because in order to reach the most people you need to make compromises and be tame. What you guys call "sell out".

You and I think similarly on this one, mainly that a classic - especially a progressive rock classic - should be divisive to a certain degree. I personally hear more straight forward rock, albeit well done rock, than progressive rock on DSoTM. Yes, Money is 7/8 and was a radio hit. You're not hearing Meddle here, though.

This is also why I love Yes Tales from Topographic Oceans. Yes, it's padded to hell, yes it's overly long, yes it's showy etc. But it never tried to be anything less, and delivers on all cylinders. For better or worse, it was doing something that had never been done. It was progressing. Most people love it or hate it. Very few are on the fence with it. That's a divisive classic for me.

I will say, however, I have massive respect for any artist that transcends markets to the degree that this one did. Close to The Edge is still my #1 prog recording.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - March 18 2018 at 17:47

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 18:04
Overrated. What's it mean anyway? "I don't like the thing that most people do!" I think it's pointless to say something is "overrated" because it all boils down to opinions. If you disagree with the fact that something gets a lot of praise, you say "oh, it's overrated".
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 19:42
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

DSOTM is special because, in addition to what many others have said (re gateway, sound quality, composition), I think many of us would not be who we are but for this album. For many of us (including myself) it was the album that opened up a world of possibilities for what could be done in music, and it came with a particular kind of political sensibility that few bands other than Floyd could really communicate, at least not as emotionally. 

While I agree that Close to the Edge and Selling England are on the same plane musically - i.e. equally musical - I think I still would have been the same person if one of those two albums didn't exist. But I might not have 'found music' if it weren't for DSOTM. 

But of course, I am not sure if the same is true for new listeners so many years on...
...um, you mean, if it weren't for the Lamb. We all have such different answers for that, don't we?

I love both Selling England and The Lamb. Really musical - musically even more original than DSOTM. Please don't get me wrong. However, I am not sure if there is a political message to The Lamb, or if there is then I am not sure that I understand it. (Perhaps someone could explain it to me?) 

My point was the DSOTM (and the albums Floyd made afterwards) has a very clear and direct political message that is integrated right into the music/concept in a very direct and emotional way - most can instantly 'get it', and many see it as revealing some underlying truth, and hence assign importance to it for this reason. I think this makes it special - both special as in rare, and special as in the reason it and other post-DSOTM albums are treasured so much. Of course, not everyone will love it and if one is turned off by the message, or not interested in the message, then it won't have the same emotional impact. But I think many who listen to it see the music and message as inseparable and are affected emotionally by it (and other post-DSOTM Floyd) in a way that is rare for other albums/bands, even really excellent musical ones.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 20:14
Every album made is a product of its times. Every one, even the ones people think are ground-breaking right now. A classic is one that delves into the depths of human experience present not only in its own time but for other times as well. DSotM plumbs those depths in a way few albums have, whether they are more technically proficient, or fit better into a particular demographic or genre. Many of the better qualities of the album have already been mentioned - its use of technology, its vision, its flow. It is an album that has to be experienced as a whole, and not as a mere series of songs. This is a dimension missing in much of today's music. People burned out of complete albums because so many albums only had one or two good songs. This happened mainly in the 90s. Flow is an art lost to too many musicians today. And simplicity does not necessarily equal bad music. The Ode to Joy is a simple melody but look what Beethoven did with it. The songs themselves are not complex, but look at the way it all fits together. Much of it is slow and mid-tempo and that is what I think a lot of proggers dislike, but like a David Gilmour guitar solo, the album as a whole is extraordinarily well crafter. No, it is not overrated but it has become possibly too familiar. You still don't have to like it, though.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 21:54
Pink Floyd was never a progressive/symphonic rock band in the vein of Yes, Genesis or ELP, it was a more straight forward rock band with the baggage of psychedelia and Art rock, DSOTM is my favorite album of all times, even thought I know that musically and lyrically is not up to par to other Pink Floyd albums or any of the other bands mentioned above. But the total effect of the music, the sound (which is perfect) and the time when I listened to it for the first time makes it something special. Really special.
Long live Progresive music!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 23:50
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

I think you should read Dark Elf post, thereīs great answer to you. I just say very much shorter about that, DSoTM really isnīt safe album at all, I believe many safe pop music listeners of today really scary already that great beginnning of the album, on the run with itīs experiments and lunatic laugh is just too much to them not talking very passionate and extraoridinary vocals of Clare Torry in Great Gig. And yes, theme is madness that I donīt think any safe pop album today will have. Also your critic about short songs, this album is a whole entity where are 10 parts!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 00:02
Originally posted by maryes maryes wrote:

First - Because , although deserve figures between the great albuns of all times, I think which even in Pink Floyd discography  Meddle is a much better ! 
Second - Other albums from other bands like YES "Fragile" and "Relayer". Genesis "Foxtrot" and "Nursery Crime", King Crimson "Larks..." and "Starless", Gentle Giant "In a Glass House", Rush "A Farewell TO Kings" and "Hemispheres", E L & Palmer "Brain Sallad Surgery" and "Tarkus", Return to Forever "The Romantic Warior", Frank Zappa "Hot Rats" etc, etc, etc... are very underrated in relation to Dark Side .
No. My personal opinion is that Atom Heart Mother is better than DSoTM, Meddles first side is quite mediocre (yes, One of These Days and a Pillow Of Winds are great). Never still could believe Atom Heart could have made such a commercial and critical success as DSoTM, Atom is just too experimental. And really all those albums you mentioned are not underrated related to DSoTM specially among the proglisteners, as you can see this thread, some of them are more respected. It is just that Pink Floyd succeeded in that album fully artistically and commercially, also it become right time. I donīt believe it would have been as big seller, if it had come today. But itīs not just Pink Floyd that was big seller in the seventies, right behind them become Genesis, Yes, ELP & King Crimson, many of those bands you mentioned.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 02:30
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

No, it is not "overrated" -- I don't really see how anyone could make the claim. It is universally lauded as one of the greatest albums of all-time by critics, and evidently the general public feels the same, having kept it on the bestseller charts from 1973 to 1988, and it has returned to the charts every time it was re-released in a different format. 

So, you wore out your orignal vinyl record, fried your 8-track, tried to sync it to The Wizard of Oz and failed, unraveled your cassette, sold your laser disc version at a garage sale when you got it on CD, bought a gold CD, got a remaster, and maybe even bought it SACD or MSFL vinyl. Because it sounds that good.

for the whole review.

Got to add that it's my desert island disc. It's got stellar music, stellar sound and a message that runs thru the whole album. There are some that complain that the tracks are too short. I don't understand this as it flows from start to finish. Certainly as better flow than say Supper's Ready, which is a great track. Its as if some would like it better if only it was just two tracks with multiple sections in each. It could easily be listed as such. Another complaint is its boring , which IMHO is just unfathomable. The interplay between the keys and guitars on Money, is exquisite. It's played in 7/8 until you get to the blistering solo.   It has been derided as pop music. I want to know what pop station would play Great Gig in the Sky. Dark Side of the Moon, has meaning, the sound effects add depth and understanding without getting in the way. It flows but is never rushed, the music has space so you can relish everything that is going on. It may be the album that got millions into prog but it certainly is not a lower level album. It's not like saying Sally Dick and Jane books got you into reading and you built up to War and Peace. DSOTM is at the top of the pyramid.

Yup, I'm one of the guys you described. Bought the LP. Wore it out, bought another. Bought the MFSL LP and didn't play it for 2 years because I was waiting for my brother to get married and I would get my own stereo. I wanted it to be the first LP II played on it. Got the CD and got the MFSL CD. And the Experience Edition CD. It's also live on Pulse. If PF gave me an excuse (maybe extra tracks or live) I would have gotten the one with the prism in stained glass. It's a great cover. Whenever I was looking at new equipment for me or someone else, I would always bring 3 discs. DSOTM, a Barbra Streisand disc for her vocals(though I can't remember the last time I played one of her records for enjoyment), and a great sounding classical album.   Did I mention that DSOTM is my fav recording?   
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 04:33
Originally posted by maryes maryes wrote:

True but even "In the court of the Crimson King" and "Red," "Selling England by the Pound,""Close to the Edge," and "Thick as a Brick" are also despite being a few of the biggest(as in highly acclaimed) non DSOTM prog albums.

[But itīs not just Pink Floyd that was big seller in the seventies, right behind them become Genesis, Yes, ELP & King Crimson, many of those bands you mentioned.]

Maybe it kind of depends on where you live but in the seventies(and even more so now)I think there was a pretty big gap popularity wise between all those bands and Pink Floyd. Maybe not before DSOTM but certainly afterwards. Genesis didn't have much more than a strong cult following back then(at least in the US)and didn't get really big until the eighties. Their first gold album was ATTWT. As for King Crimson well they might be household names in prog circles but really not much anywhere else. To suggest they were(as well as Genesis)just behind PF in terms of popularity is pretty silly. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 19 2018 at 04:47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>