Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Dark Side of The Moon Overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 16:19
no there is nothing in rock music to compare to
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 17:04
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

^ That's exactly why some people argue that it is overrated. Not because it is of low quality (it is not) but because it has the status of the greatest rock album ever made.

Exactly.

Wow, this thread blew up!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 17:20
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

^ That's exactly why some people argue that it is overrated. Not because it is of low quality (it is not) but because it has the status of the greatest rock album ever made.

Yep, similar to how myself and many others consider the Beatles to be over rated. 

The Beatles ain't overrated 

Ain't? Confused

Yes, they were very innovative. A band very influential on Prog
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 19:03
^ QFT
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 19:07
Beach Boys released Pet Sounds back in 1966. The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper in 1967.
Those albums were the gold standard, and the shape of things to come.

When Floyd released DSOTM, we already had many KC records including one of the cornerstones of prog: ITCOTCK; every yes album up to (and including) Close to the Edge, we had Thick as a Brick and freaking Tarkus among other fantastic records (including some of Floyd's own) that were much ballsier.

To say DSOTM was groundbreaking is absolute rubbish. It was a calculated effort, a formula: how to reach the most people without alienating listeners. Playing safe and being sterile on all fronts.
Later came WYWH. A record that was 1/2 about trying to remember old Floyd and Syd, the other half was about DSOTM, their own Frankenstein: "we heard about the sell out"

Hey, long time fan, we love and miss Syd's Floyd, yeah, too bad he's now an empty shell. Nothing we can do about it. Btw, there are some dudes wearing suits that push us around. But we are fighting, we aren't releasing a new DSOTM for the non-fans that loved it, we are still the same old band, look we even made some longer, proggier tracks this time just for you... like the ones on Meddle and AHM (the best we could do after Syd was no more).

Just my two cents.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Pigwheeler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 21:20
To call it anything other than overrated would be a big mistake 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 22:07
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I believe I just canīt ever understand that opinion, which seem to be very common here, that WYWH is better than DSoTM. If somebody has still interest, I really liked to know the arguments why somebodyīs thinking itīs better. What they do better in WYWH than DSoTM? And donīt say better songs, Iīve heard that and disagree.

What other reason could I have to say I like Wish you were Here better than Dark Side than that I like the songs better? (I won't say that the album, or the songs are better, only that I like them better). Yeah, in concept and collection of songs Dark Side works better than Wish, but for me it's more important how much I enjoy the music. And a great part of the weight for that is that Shine On (as a whole thing) is my favourite song ever... and then the way it flows into Welcome to the Machine (which I also love) is just dream-like... as well as the way the title song flows into Shine On again. In the end, I just love that album, and for me it's not only my favourite Pink Floyd album, but my favourite album, period.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 23:48

I think itīs really stupid that if some album has the status of the greatest rock album and it also deserved it, itīs automatically overrated. I mean "snobs" are saying or course it cannot be the greatest rock album because itīs also sold so much. Itīs not to me personally the greates album of all the time, but really I canīt say itīs overrated, I think it really deserved all the great reviews and also great sales.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 23:55
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I believe I just canīt ever understand that opinion, which seem to be very common here, that WYWH is better than DSoTM. If somebody has still interest, I really liked to know the arguments why somebodyīs thinking itīs better. What they do better in WYWH than DSoTM? And donīt say better songs, Iīve heard that and disagree.
I can only speak for myself, naturally, and I feel that WYWH is awesome because it followed DSotM and actually bettered it while not treading old ground.
No. I think WYWH could easily have named DSoTM part 2. It has lots in common as sounds, music, also really the theme. I am not saying WYWH is a bad album, although when DSoTM is quite positive album although it had quite scary theme, WYWH is really depressive album and I think thatīs the most reason why I donīt rate it as high as for example DSoTM. When madness was a theme commonly in DSoTM, in WYWH itīs Sydīs becoming mad and what that caused to the band. WYWH is of course profound album like all the Floyd albums are and really I think if they hadnīt done it, I believe they would have splitted already those days.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 00:02

^According to BBC-document of top ten progressive rock the most popular progbands have been in order:
1. Pink Floyd
2. Genesis
3. Moody Blues
4. Jethro Tull
5. Yes
6. ELP
7. Rush
8. Hawkwind
9. King Crimson
10. Camel.

I think youīre right the popularity of Genesis become really much their eighties success. But anyway King Crimson is ninth, over Camel. And I donīt believe itīs popularity is just explained of after seventies success, because they never have been even near as big as Genesis after seventies. 

Well, that says BBC so obviously it's British based. I'm in the US so I can only speak from that perspective and knowledge. Yes at number 5? Not in the US. They would probably be number two and they certainly would not be behind Genesis in the seventies. Genesis were much bigger in the UK than they were in the US in the seventies but according to some English people I spoke to they still didn't get really big until they focused on singles so probably late seventies early eighties. However, despite what this english woman said they still had albums in the top ten album charts in the seventies in the UK where as in the US their first top ten album was either Abacab or Duke and first gold was ATTWT. Genesis not nearly as big as Pink Floyd in the eighties? I strongly disagree. I would say Genesis were not as big as Pink Floyd over all not even in that decade. They might have sold more albums in that decade but their over all popularity would still be lagging behind. 
As far as I remembered about that document, one meter of the popularity was sales in the US. As I said before, I believe the Genesis sales in eighties is a big base in the second place. And of course gap between Floyd & Genesis could be big. As far as I know, Jethro as sold well in the Us, thatīs the reason why it went over Yes.

If you want to watch that document, here it is, itīs quite entertaining, also some small document about those bands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUU1QtQBVbo
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 00:04

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Yep, similar to how myself and many others consider the Beatles to be over rated. 

The Beatles ain't overrated 

Ain't? Confused
No.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 00:07
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

When Floyd released DSOTM, we already had many KC records including one of the cornerstones of prog: ITCOTCK; every yes album up to (and including) Close to the Edge, we had Thick as a Brick and freaking Tarkus among other fantastic records (including some of Floyd's own) that were much ballsier.

To say DSOTM was groundbreaking is absolute rubbish. It was a calculated effort, a formula: how to reach the most people without alienating listeners. Playing safe and being sterile on all fronts.
Later came WYWH. A record that was 1/2 about trying to remember old Floyd and Syd, the other half was about DSOTM, their own Frankenstein: "we heard about the sell out"

Hey, long time fan, we love and miss Syd's Floyd, yeah, too bad he's now an empty shell. Nothing we can do about it. Btw, there are some dudes wearing suits that push us around. But we are fighting, we aren't releasing a new DSOTM for the non-fans that loved it, we are still the same old band, look we even made some longer, proggier tracks this time just for you... like the ones on Meddle and AHM (the best we could do after Syd was no more).

Just my two cents.
Really donīt have no need to answer you anymore, you donīt read others posts, you just live in the bubble of your own.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 02:23
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

Just my two cents.

Absolute rubbish is a bit harsh IMHO, but you're bringing up more of my points here. Calculated, etc. There's nothing wrong with this. My side of the coin is that doesn't make a good progressive rock record. It makes a prog-lite record IMHO. It doesn't hold a candle to what I consider transcendental prog pieces like Close to The Edge or Supper's Ready. It's like people declaring Cher the best vocalist because she sells the most records and is most popular with the average listener.

If the average listener getting into this music is a metric, then a prerequisite would logically have to be less intense, dynamic songs. This is exactly what I hear besides the track "Money". Slow-paced, droney-ass prog lite getting praised as the second coming of Christ.

I think itīs really stupid that if some album has the status of the greatest rock album and it also deserved it, itīs automatically overrated. I mean "snobs" are saying or course it cannot be the greatest rock album because itīs also sold so much. Itīs not to me personally the greates album of all the time, but really I canīt say itīs overrated, I think it really deserved all the great reviews and also great sales.

That's the problem, though; it's not just an elitist, contrarian opinion. I hear this record and I just don't understand how people hold it in such high regard, especially compared to more epic stuff like Close to The Edge or Supper's Ready. Most people can't deal with 15+ min songs, and I think that's why this record hit a sweet spot commercially. As a serious prog fan, it's not my cup of tea, just like the former songs listed won't do diddly for someone looking for more commercial stuff.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - March 20 2018 at 02:25

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 03:10
^What I never do, is thinking is some record good prog record or not. To me there is just great music, good music and bad music. So it seems the most problem you is, that when DSoTM is said progrecord, you are hurt. I really donīt understand what you find WYWH? More it has to me kind of "Dire Straits"-qualities you and that tango guy is putting into Dark Side. 

Also comparing Dark Side to Close to the or Supperīs is little silly to me. Itīs like comparing first Elvis records to greatest Frank Sinatra recordings sayin "Sinatra sucks cause Elvis rocks more".
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 03:15
Really the truth is most people can take prog because itīs complexity (yes the long songs too). I think Floyd just succeeded to put together in Dark side their ambitions and something that hit the ordinary people (I still think on the run & great gig are too much to ordinary people). I donīt also believe there are lots of people today who listens Dark Side whole through, yes I can believe Money is in manyīs playlists, I really believe many doesnīt like even Time just because itīs too arty beginning.
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 03:16
The most important factor to take into consideration is the times this release went out into. What was taking place culturally then. Especially, but not confined to America.
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 03:54

^What I never do, is thinking is some record good prog record or not. To me there is just great music, good music and bad music.

...And DSoTM is "bad" music (relative to other choices at the time) to my ears, hence this entire thread dude. 

You seem to be the one trying to defend a traditionalists view here. I've been nothing but reasonable in this thread and people act like my opinion instantly means I'm being stubborn or elitist and claiming fact, when in reality it's the PF fanbois trying to objectively and empirically prove this record.

If anything, my point/opinion is arguing how collective consumer group consensus doesn't equate to artistic mastery of an artist/legendary recordings.

Lots of people like this record and bought it. That doesn't mean it's the best record ever.

Lots of people also enjoy abusing drugs. That doesn't mean that's a smart choice.

This hilarity of me admitting this is all opinion, and people coming in and attempting to state opinions as fact, is beyond entertaining, though. More so than DSoTM! LOLWink

So it seems the most problem you is, that when DSoTM is said progrecord, you are hurt.

Flip that the other way around, dude. PF fanbois are the ones who keep posting and reviving this thread. I've posted like 4 times in the last several pages, stating my same opinion.

Also comparing Dark Side to Close to the or Supperīs is little silly to me. Itīs like comparing first Elvis records to greatest Frank Sinatra recordings sayin "Sinatra sucks cause Elvis rocks more".

Silly to you, and that's why it's called an opinion, just like this entire thread. I could say the same exact thing about your defense of DSoTM relative to everything you just said; DSoTM doesn't hit as hard as what came before and after IMHO. Who cares if it's silly, that's why it's an opinion and not an empirical fact.

Really the truth is most people can take prog because itīs complexity (yes the long songs too). I think Floyd just succeeded to put together in Dark side their ambitions and something that hit the ordinary people (I still think on the run & great gig are too much to ordinary people). I donīt also believe there are lots of people today who listens Dark Side whole through, yes I can believe Money is in manyīs playlists, I really believe many doesnīt like even Time just because itīs too arty beginning.

This is the most concise portion of your argument, and is more inline with the type of discussion I was looking for in this thread, so thank you.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - March 20 2018 at 03:57

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 03:58

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I can only speak for myself, naturally, and I feel that WYWH is awesome because it followed DSotM and actually bettered it while not treading old ground.
No. I think WYWH could easily have named DSoTM part 2. It has lots in common as sounds, music, also really the theme. I am not saying WYWH is a bad album, although when DSoTM is quite positive album although it had quite scary theme, WYWH is really depressive album and I think thatīs the most reason why I donīt rate it as high as for example DSoTM. When madness was a theme commonly in DSoTM, in WYWH itīs Sydīs becoming mad and what that caused to the band. WYWH is of course profound album like all the Floyd albums are and really I think if they hadnīt done it, I believe they would have splitted already those days.
This is the first time that I've ever heard WYWH called DSotM part 2,  but I've come to realize, as in past posts, that you are in quite a mindset all your own on many topics. Mmm...perhaps reading some PA reviews on WYWH would change your views.

Edited by SteveG - March 20 2018 at 04:16
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 04:25
^ I don't see how is WYWH Dark Side... part 2. 

Sad to see DSotM getting bashed by some here. But I guess it's expected when you have "overrated" in the thread title. 
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 04:41
Half of it's boring.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>