4 [1.95%]
4 [1.95%]
4 [1.95%]
6 [2.93%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Funny Prog
    Posted: March 20 2018 at 19:09
We've had threads lately for sad prog and bad prog, so why not a poll for funny prog?  I was listening to Defector the other day and thinking how I like those quirky things Steve Hackett loves to put on his albums, so I started listing similar songs and here it is.

This is a multiple choice poll so vote for all your funny prog and prog related songs.  I kept my list to 1 song per band otherwise the poll would have been 25 Zappa/Beefheart songs Wink  

Be sure to tell us any of your favorites that aren't on the list...

Have fun Clown

Edited by The.Crimson.King - March 21 2018 at 08:21
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 19:12
oh about half of Rush's output before Peart got the memo to ditch the sophormoric intellectualism in his lyrics ... though I suppose they.. nor their fans would see the humor...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 19:15
Battle of Epping Forest.... funny?  Unless you count its sobriquet as the Bataan Death March of Prog as being funny.. which of course I do.. since I cointed it.. but again.. I don't think the band.. nor its fans would see the humor.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 19:27
Gong is def the funniest (teapot trilogy/esp.live) for me..still makes me laugh after all these years.

Hammill's out there singing style often cracks me up.

and Zappa's overall attitude, of course.

Edited by Barbu - March 20 2018 at 19:33
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 19:33
I decided to actually vote before I commented. Wink Floyd. Queen. Tull. Genesis. No order of favorites.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 19:39
^ you're better than me... I dish out comments and don't vote. Hard to... Gong is like a 20 something red head there in a line up with 80 year old Gilf's.... too easy a vote. urrggg..  bad mental images there Mick...

I agree that Gong is probably the most funny.. straight up humorous of the whole genre but perhaps it is just me.. but humor never was a strong suit for prog IMO. Too busy being serious and trying show how smart a bunch of semi educated muso's thought they were...

Edited by micky - March 20 2018 at 19:40
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 19:50
Zappa.

Also, "We Are Sane" is whimsical, but not funny, i.e. silly. 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 20:07
Sloche is quite hilarious indeed.

Edited by Barbu - March 20 2018 at 20:11
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 21:03
I don't come to prog for funny
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 21:52
^ Neither do I. I just don't find it funny, but I do find it annoying.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 22:04
Are we voting for which one is funnier, we like better, or is a better song? These is a collection of great songs, makes for a great playlist.

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 22:09
Epping Forest---love the song---powerful and funny---Peters word play is very funny and the characters he creates is very creative--and the meaning of the song is very powerful yet understated and ironic.  "No one left alive---must be a draw---so the black cap barons toss a coin to settle the score."
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 22:31
While obviously a number of these tunes have humorous lyrics, and some of these are great songs, what I find particularly intriguing is the idea of instrumental music that is funny all on its own. For this, I think Zappa is king. I love the way Zappa can write a long instrumental piece that makes one laugh, without even having any lyrics (interestingly, however, I don't find Bobby Brown to be that funny - it is more his mean-spirited side of lyrical humour, as is much of the Sheik Yerbouti album). 

The other main band that produces music that I think is funny on its own is Gong of the Daevid Allen eras. 
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 02:08
Kevin Ayers - Hat
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 02:19
I wouldn't call it "funny", per say, but Epping Forest is by far the most entertaining for me!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 03:37
I always thought that King Crimson's Elephant Talk was hilarious
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 03:50
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Battle of Epping Forest.... funny?  Unless you count its sobriquet as the Bataan Death March of Prog as being funny.. which of course I do.. since I cointed it.. but again.. I don't think the band.. nor its fans would see the humor.

Micky - you're American.

This is a British song with British humour and it's extremely funny if you understand the place, the time and other events going on there. It's actually based on true events: two gangs fighting over protection rights in the East End of London.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 04:33
Jethro Tull and Queen
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 05:17
Floyd, Eno, Crimso, ELP, Genesis
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 05:20
love An Inmates Lullaby - my favorite on Glass House (which isn't among my favorites) but never knew it was funny - probably because I've not payed attention to the lyrics. 

A lot of obscurer bands are successful in combining humor and music without just ending up creating silly forgettable music. Second Hand Death May Be Your Santa Claus is almost physical in its humor. Supersister are hugely entertaining and combines beauty, warmth and lighthearted silliness at once - a little like Caravan and Hatfield... well most of Canterbury. Same can be said about Moving Gelatine Plates. 

The absurd surrealism of Can's lyrics is often fun as well... Faust is a lot of fun too I think... there's plenty.

I think my favorite song in the poll is In Every Dream Home a Heartache though - which perfectly illustrates that having a sense of humor doesn't have to ruin the emotional experience of a song if you're smart and talented enough. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>