Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Three Friends vs. Lizard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which 3rd album do you like more?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [42.37%]
34 [57.63%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Three Friends vs. Lizard
    Posted: March 20 2018 at 23:05
Both of these albums are the 3rd album in each respective bands discography but which one do you like more??
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 23:47
Lizard.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 01:00
the gentle giant 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 01:57
"Workin' all day-ay!"

Gentle Giant Three Friends.

Jon Anderson's cameo is nice, though!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 03:54
Three Friends is great.

Lizard isn't.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 04:35
Friends by far
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 04:58
Two long lasting favorites containing some of prog's absolute peaks for me = Prologue/Schooldays and the Lizard-multipart suite. Gave my vote to the latter as there's very little in all of music that transcends me to some kind of dreamy, fairytaleish universe... you know quite like the lazy & misunderstood parody of what prog is supposed to be about for all those boring rockers who loathes it - I guess.     
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 05:04
GG this time, because Schooldays is their best song by far in my opinion.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 05:12
Three Friends.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 05:45
I really, really like both just about equally, it just depends on the mood I'm in, so no vote.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 06:20
Lizard.  For one thing, Lizard ranks higher among my favorite KC albums than Three Friends does among my favorite GG albums.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 06:25
Three Friends for me
Prog On!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 08:57
A toss up.  Both masterpieces for me...took me months to fully appreciate Lizard where I loved Three Friends on the 1st listen.  Today the vote goes to Three Friends, though tomorrow it just might be Lizard Wink
frankbostick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbostick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 09:06
KC Lizard
GG Three Friends
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 09:31
This is a very good album match-up, I think, and both rank amongst my very favourite albums by each band. If "both" were an option then I would go with that, but I gave it to Lizard particularly for the suite. Over the last few years, Lizard and Islands have been the KC albums I've turned to the most.

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Three Friends is great.

Lizard isn't.

You're in good, or bad depending upon one's perspective, company.

I disagree with both you and Fripp (rather like I disagree with Waters and Gilmour's comments on Atom Heart Mother).

An interesting article about this divisive album (mostly divisive when it comes to KC fans methinks of which you are not, mind you:
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/king-crimson-lizard/

Better to read the article in full at the site, but here are excerpts from the article which quote Fripp:

Originally posted by From Ryan Reed's article at ultimateclassicrock.com From Ryan Reed's article at ultimateclassicrock.com wrote:

"Overall, the album is unlistenable," King Crimson maestro Robert Fripp once said of Lizard, the prog-rock institution's divisive third LP. Many fans agree, and understandably so: Arriving after the band's Earth-shattering debut, 1969's In the Court of the Crimson King, and its sturdy if unsurprising 1970 sequel In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizard feels downright insane – full of dissonant grooves and free-jazz woodwind chaos, it's the photo negative of their studious early work.

Unsurprisingly, Fripp isn't fond of the multi-part suite, particularly the opening section. "Rupert would have done better to stay in bed that day," the guitarist wrote in 1999 on the DGM website. "Jon Anderson has sung the unsingable: neither melody writer nor lyricist helped him on this one. An early edition of Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (from any good secondhand bookshop) is an essential aid to interpreting the lyrics."

He did muster praise for "Bolero," writing, "This is the only part of the album I am able to remember with anything other than fear, terror, misery and suffering. ... The main theme, played on oboe by Robin Miller (co-principal oboist with the BBC Symphony Orchestra under [conductor Pierre] Boulez at the time) is a gift. This is a melody which sustained me in difficult times."

Mostly, though, Fripp would prefer to squash Lizard. "Lots of ideas, mostly presented simultaneously and very few of which work," [Fripp] wrote. "Various bits are unsure whether to try and make connection with a unified central theme, or maintain their independence. Mostly, the search for a unified central theme escapes satisfaction, and the constituent elements adopt a semblance of neutrality, so as not to attract culpability for their involvement. Labor and laboring, mostly joyless, strive effortfully to present the appearance of cohesion."

"I am unable to recommend that anyone part with their hard-earned pay for this one, unless they want to take it to parties and play it at unwelcome guests," he [Fripp] concluded. "There are some Lizard lovers, I know. They must be very strange."

I am very strange, and the older I get the more comfortable I am with not hiding my own eccentricities and appreciation for the strange.

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 10:30
Three Friends
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 12:35
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Lizard.  For one thing, Lizard ranks higher among my favorite KC albums than Three Friends does among my favorite GG albums.

This.....
Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 13:42
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

GG this time, because Schooldays is their best song by far in my opinion.

amen brother duck...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 14:15
Love The Giant, but definitely Lizard. It's an album I've lived with for a long time. It's always felt like little else out there in the world. And it has seemed greater and greater to me with every year.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 16:21
Lizard.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>