Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Immediate Ruination of New Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 17:30
I am a bit more careful about calling vocals "bad". yes, there often is some unusual singing and you go "wtf?" at first. this even happened to me with VdGG (the first album I heard of them was "Godbluff", and I went "wtf?" about the rasp whispering at the beginning), but this is nothing that will deter me forever; I just have to get used to this unusual vocal delivery (you should hear what strange things BaldFriede does with her voice; it would probably make many people dislike the two albums of the Bald Angels immediately)

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 07:36
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

...but this is nothing that will deter me forever; I just have to get used to this unusual vocal delivery

Why would you try to get used to something that doesn't please you?  There is SO much music out there.  The "New Prog Releases" blog alone lists 1000-1500 new prog albums every year.  If an album doesn't capture my attention and sound pleasing to me from the onset, I move on.  There is lots more to choose from.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 09:15
I didn't like Indian and Mexican food on first acquaintance (in Glasgow, Scotland) but now I love them both (burp). How can a person's musical appreciation grow unless they are exposed to an external stimulus that is initially foreign to them BUT which will clearly take take time to be assimilated? Have you heard of a self fulfilling prophecy? If what does not please you on first acquaintance you consider BAD then you are clearly a myopic self righteous cretin.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 09:17
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

...but this is nothing that will deter me forever; I just have to get used to this unusual vocal delivery

Why would you try to get used to something that doesn't please you?  There is SO much music out there.  The "New Prog Releases" blog alone lists 1000-1500 new prog albums every year.  If an album doesn't capture my attention and sound pleasing to me from the onset, I move on.  There is lots more to choose from.

you misunderstand me. these unusual vocal styles don't really displease me, they merely irritate me, like anything that is new.

by your approach you would have to reject anything new if it doesn't immediately please you. if you are used to a certain can opener and get a new one that looks and works quite differently you would be irritated too. but would you really reject this new can opener for this reason? I doubt it. so why do it with a new vocal style?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 10:02

Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

you misunderstand me. these unusual vocal styles don't really displease me, they merely irritate me, like anything that is new.

by your approach you would have to reject anything new if it doesn't immediately please you. if you are used to a certain can opener and get a new one that looks and works quite differently you would be irritated too. but would you really reject this new can opener for this reason? I doubt it. so why do it with a new vocal style?

OK, peace.  If I "might" like something, especially something completely new, I certainly do give it a chance.  I listen to new music almost daily.  If, when I listen to it, I know that I absolutely don't like it, I move on.  I don't like thrash metal... not matter how many times I'm exposed to it, and I'm not going to subject myself to that irritation in the hopes that I might like it some day.  It's not about something being new (or bad, as ExittheLemming thinks I am implying)... it's about disliking something, and being certain about it, and moving on.  Certain things trigger that "absolute dislike" button of mine.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 11:39

(you should hear what strange things BaldFriede does with her voice; it would probably make many people dislike the two albums of the Bald Angels immediately)

Where can we listen to those albums ? Regarding the global atmosphere and dynamics I expect them to not be my cup of tea, but given your great ears ( by the way, beat my super score there, and then next step you'll  be ready to train and challenge Dylan Beato at speed-naming piano bunch of notes WinkWink ) it's unlikely the Muses would refuse you at least some moments by very gifted musicians' standards...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123