Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Drafting a syllabus for a progressive rock course
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drafting a syllabus for a progressive rock course

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomandaris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drafting a syllabus for a progressive rock course
    Posted: March 22 2018 at 15:37
Hi everyone. I'm a Ph.D. student in music composition. For one of my classes this semester I am going to be creating a syllabus on progressive rock for the final project. I say this is for a class - however, this is something I've been thinking about for a while, and it's something I'd actually be interested in doing at some point in the future. I'll very likely become a professor once I finish my degree, and so it's possible I could actually end up teaching this class (it would need to be approved by the dean of wherever I end up). Fingers crossed!

The tentative title I have for the class is History of Prog: A Survey of Progressive Rock Literature. The goal is to try to present a semi-coherent narrative of progressive rock developments from its beginnings in the late 60s up to about the early 2000s. I will try to go in roughly chronological order, mapping the developments of the various subgenres as they appear. In terms of those subgenres, I will mostly be using the ones that are listed on this site, as I feel those do a good job of identifying various characteristics and modes of development.

The main "homework" of the class will be listening assignments which students would need to write short journal entries on. These would be albums (or collections of albums) that coincide with what I'd be lecturing on on that given day (i.e. which subgenre, point in time, etc.) The purpose of these assignments would be to expose the students to what would have been representative of whatever particular subgenre (or time period) is currently being discussed. Assignments could either be single albums (i.e. true "pillars" of the genre) or a series of albums from a particular artist.

For instance, here's some examples of what a listening assignment could look like:

"Listen to the following album by KING CRIMSON:
In the Court of the Crimson King"

or

"Listen to ONE of these albums by GENESIS:
Trespass
Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Selling England by the Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"

etc.

As I said, I'd like to go in roughly chronological order, moving to different subgenres as they appear in time, or "phases" of subgenres as they appear in time. For instance, I KNOW the symphonic prog section of the course will be split into two parts - first the original "classic" prog of the 70s and then the "revival" which occurred in the 90s. If there's any other of the subgenres that should be split in this way, I'd be interested in hearing arguments for that.

Which also brings me to the subject of this post - namely, I need help in assembling the listening list for this course. For some of these instances I have a pretty good idea of which albums should be assigned. For others...not so much. I'd like to at least touch on most of the subgenres listed on this site. What I would appreciate are suggestions for what bands or albums should be assigned for each subgenre. There's obviously a huge amount of material out there, so narrowing it down is going to be challenging. Also if any of you could help me narrow down selections for each subgenre to specific time periods so that I can attempt to organize this class in a chronological manner, that would also be appreciated.

As far as what albums to pick for each section is concerned, I'm not necessarily interested in what could be considered "best" in the genre, but rather what is most useful from a pedagogical standpoint. I.e. which albums are most representative of the subgenre and time period I am discussing? Which album (or albums) specifically from a given artist best convey stylistic characteristics of this subgenre? How is this artist being influenced by artists before him and how did he influence others in turn? It is questions like these that I am most interested in addressing.

Notice that I did say I would like to touch on most of the subgenres on this site. There are a few that I likely won't be focusing on.

Here are the ones that I feel at the moment should get the cut for this class:

Eclectic Prog: This is simply a catch-all category for artists that don't fit easily into any of the other subgenres. Not really useful for the purposes of the class I am trying to make.

Indo-Prog/Raga Rock: This seems extremely obscure even for prog. Might be better to just avoid this one to save room for other genres.

Zeuhl: Same as Indo-Prog.

Jazz-Rock/Fusion: This one seems more like it's coming from the other direction - i.e. jazz which started incorporating elements of rock music rather than the other way around. I'll entertain arguments against this characterization if anyone wants to present them.

Prog-Related: Probably doesn't fit best into this class, which is more about prog-rock proper.

Proto-Prog: While I plan on touching on this at the beginning of the class I want to quickly move into more definitive examples of progressive rock. 

Crossover Prog: I'm on the fence on this one. Will entertain arguments either for or against.

-----

Everything else is fair game! So, if you could, and if you feel knowledgeable about a particular subgenre, PLEASE offer suggestions on what artists or albums should be the assigned listening. The more responses that I get, the better. I can definitely use some help!

Thanks, all!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 15:45
You might not be treating eclectic prog as a valid genre in your course - and I can understand why - but I think you'll need to deal with some notable bands therein. King Crimson, Gentle Giant and VdGG should surely feature in your listening list.

One approach would be to amalgamate these bands with symphonic and call it “core prog”, or something of that nature.

Edited by Mascodagama - March 22 2018 at 15:48
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 16:45
This could go in so many directions, but I'm curious as how your project will end up. I hope you make it available for us to look at it.
I think going chronologically is most likely the best way to go, as I will make it easier to see the growth and development of the genre. It would also be nice if you point out the difference between prog as a genre, and progressive as a tendency to write music.
I wish you the best of lucks.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 16:54
If you must go by subgenres, I wouldn't go by the subgenres on this site. Some of them aren't genres at all (eclectic, crossover), many are overlapping and/or vague (the metal genres), at least one is completely made up and not used anywhere else (heavy prog), some are tied to a specific location or scene (canterbury, krautrock) or era (neo-prog) and some are kind of (but not really) defined by style alone (symphonic, electronic).
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 17:12
I think the better solution to "eclectic" would be to categorize individual albums, songs, or even specific moments in songs rather than trying to sort each band into a single category - that's something that's really only a necessity here because of how PA operates.

I don't necessarily think focusing on an album level would be necessary; focusing on individual songs might even be better, although obviously if the context within an album is important or you're talking about concept albums then go for it. A lot of prog albums jump around from subgenre to subgenre so much that it might just get too confusing (like really, tell me that Dancing With The Moonlit Knight, I Know What I Like and More Fool Me have anything in common). I guess it does depend on the level of college you're teaching, but in even in the classical music courses I've taken, we've mainly looked at individual movements from a piece or a single song from a song-cycle.

As far as some as the other genres go, I think jazz-rock/fusion definitely deserves a mention - after all, one of the defining features of prog is bringing elements of jazz into rock. I do agree that it would be better to focus on rock bands that played a bit of jazz rather than jazz bands that played a bit of rock.

I think Zuehl should be included as well - it's not as obscure as you think. MDK, for example is listed as one of Rolling Stone's top 50 prog albums. I think it's just too unique and interesting not to mention anyways.

Crossover seems to have too many important bands not to mention; granted if you're stopping at early 2000s then you're probably fine if you miss out on Steven Wilson and Big Big Train. Although you could probably lump them into some other category... I was surprised the BBT was considered crossover rather than symphonic. Mike Oldfield is an important name to mention in my opinion and he's in the crossover category here - although his important works could fit into the symphonic category as well.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 17:25
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

This could go in so many directions, but I'm curious as how your project will end up. I hope you make it available for us to look at it.
I think going chronologically is most likely the best way to go, as I will make it easier to see the growth and development of the genre. It would also be nice if you point out the difference between prog as a genre, and progressive as a tendency to write music.
I wish you the best of lucks.

Yes^ 
Also, I hope you'll consider a chapter/class/lecture on the origins/roots/influences--like Usted Ali Akbar Khan and Ravi Shankar's mind-blowing tours of Europe and the US in the 1950s, the rhythmic influences on jazz due to African, Latin & Caribbean musics getting more public recognition (like Mongo Santamaria and Babatunde Olatunji in the States), the influence of classical innovators like Stockhausen and Terry C. Riley, and, of course, influential sponges transmitting all this like Miles (and all his Bitches Brew crew), Coltrane, Herbie Mann, Gary Burton, Yusef Lateef, Steve Marcus, Don Ellis, and Frank Zappa. 

Good luck! (We're all counting on you!)
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieronymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 18:09
Is genre really the way to go? Although I personally dislike these kinds of categorizations, I'd also wonder if this is how music is studied in the academy? 

Also wondering if you are going to use scholarly literature and what those books would be. The only ones that I am aware of are Rocking the Classics: English Progressive Rock and the Counterculture by Edward Macan and Progressive Rock Reconsidered by Kevin Holm-Hudson. I'm not even really sure how academic these books are, but I'm sure there are a lot out there that are not. Not that academia is necessarily better, but it's good to have some solid scholarship behind what you do.

Looking forward to hearing more!
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 18:11
Don't forget to include a group or sub-gender of progressive music outside the English-language, Rock Progresivo Italiano for one, South American, etc, each one of them rich and varied with the incorporation of local influences, rhythms, etc.
Long live Progresive music!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 18:32
Leaving Zeuhl out is a big mistake. 

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 18:44
Groupies 101: Leave room for seconds, watch out for mouth sores and check their I.D. at the door.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 19:15
Why leave any of the genres out? There is a reason they exist. Even prog related tells a story. True not all entries are created equal but the early Led Zeppelin, Queen and Bowie are quite valid. 

The only one i would probably leave out is the Indo-raga mostly because it's mostly not rock but small mention of its parallel existence and that of psychedelic rock tucked into the proto category would suffice for your purposes.

BTW, brilliant idea!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 06:24
I agree with others about bringing out the international scope of this genre. Otherwise, I think you have a great plan in place. Best of luck!

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 06:37
No mention of neo-prog and progressive metal? just saying...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 08:30
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I agree, you need to mention how punk allegedly killed off prog rock and it's revival with Marillion and neo-prog.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 09:42
Drafting a syllabus for a progressive rock course sounds more or less like the title of a forthcoming Kayo Dot album to me. So why leave out RIO/Avant?
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 09:52
I'd audit that course!!!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 09:54
On RIO I'd go with Henry Cow - Leg End as a great example of the early development of the genre along with Samla Mammas Manna - Maltid. For Canterbury use Caravan - If I Could ... and Hatfield and The North - s/t.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 11:21
Originally posted by Anomandaris Anomandaris wrote:

The main "homework" of the class will be listening assignments which students would need to write short journal entries on. These would be albums (or collections of albums) that coincide with what I'd be lecturing on on that given day (i.e. which subgenre, point in time, etc.) The purpose of these assignments would be to expose the students to what would have been representative of whatever particular subgenre (or time period) is currently being discussed. Assignments could either be single albums (i.e. true "pillars" of the genre) or a series of albums from a particular artist.

For instance, here's some examples of what a listening assignment could look like:

"Listen to the following album by KING CRIMSON:
In the Court of the Crimson King"

I love the idea of this course!

But exactly how do you plan to make sure all of the students have access to all of the required music for homework?  Do they have to go out and buy it?  It can be expensive, and some bands like King Crimson, are difficult to acquire as digital downloads so they'd have to order CDs.  Is it copyright infringement to make a couple dozen copies to distribute to your students on a temporary basis?  How do you see this all working in a legal/aboveboard way that won't get the school in trouble (and you fired)?
Anomandaris View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomandaris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 13:51
Thanks for all the replies people. Keep them coming!

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

For sure. I'll post the final syllabus (and probably early iterations) on here for you all to look at.

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

If you must go by subgenres, I wouldn't go by the subgenres on this site. Some of them aren't genres at all (eclectic, crossover), many are overlapping and/or vague (the metal genres), at least one is completely made up and not used anywhere else (heavy prog), some are tied to a specific location or scene (canterbury, krautrock) or era (neo-prog) and some are kind of (but not really) defined by style alone (symphonic, electronic).
I agree with what you're saying. However, I do think there's stylistic characteristics that help define a lot of these subgenres, and I could focus on those elements. I do need some way to organize everything.

Yeah heavy prog is an interesting one. Hard rock prog? Arena rock? I feel like Rush at least should be touched on. What to call that section?

Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I don't necessarily think focusing on an album level would be necessary; focusing on individual songs might even be better, although obviously if the context within an album is important or you're talking about concept albums then go for it. A lot of prog albums jump around from subgenre to subgenre so much that it might just get too confusing (like really, tell me that Dancing With The Moonlit Knight, I Know What I Like and More Fool Me have anything in common). I guess it does depend on the level of college you're teaching, but in even in the classical music courses I've taken, we've mainly looked at individual movements from a piece or a single song from a song-cycle.
I think the idea of the concept album is simply too important to not have entire albums be listening assignments. Even for albums that aren't true "concept albums," there's the issue of pacing, album structure, etc. Also if I were to focus just on songs, I'd have to decide which ones to cut from albums, which would be a whole different can of worms...

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Also, I hope you'll consider a chapter/class/lecture on the origins/roots/influences--like Usted Ali Akbar Khan and Ravi Shankar's mind-blowing tours of Europe and the US in the 1950s, the rhythmic influences on jazz due to African, Latin & Caribbean musics getting more public recognition (like Mongo Santamaria and Babatunde Olatunji in the States), the influence of classical innovators like Stockhausen and Terry C. Riley, and, of course, influential sponges transmitting all this like Miles (and all his Bitches Brew crew), Coltrane, Herbie Mann, Gary Burton, Yusef Lateef, Steve Marcus, Don Ellis, and Frank Zappa. 
Yeah, I think a lot of this stuff would come out during the lectures. I'll definitely want to talk about influences. Also one thing for sure I want to focus on is classical music and how a lot of prog can be listened to in the same manner.

Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

Is genre really the way to go? Although I personally dislike these kinds of categorizations, I'd also wonder if this is how music is studied in the academy?
It sort of is. In the Music History classes in music schools, it is first and foremost organized chronologically, but then the chapters and lectures are also organized by genre (opera, chamber, symphony, etc.) as well different stylistic trends. Of course this is covering a lot more ground. Still, there needs to be some methods of trying to present all this material in a semi-coherent way. Dividing examples into genres and styles is generally considered an effective way to do this.

Quote Also wondering if you are going to use scholarly literature and what those books would be. The only ones that I am aware of are Rocking the Classics: English Progressive Rock and the Counterculture by Edward Macan and Progressive Rock Reconsidered by Kevin Holm-Hudson. I'm not even really sure how academic these books are, but I'm sure there are a lot out there that are not. Not that academia is necessarily better, but it's good to have some solid scholarship behind what you do.
Yeah, I think some readings would be good. I'd appreciate any suggestions on this front. There doesn't really seem to be too much on this at the present, at least not nearly as much as there is for classical music, or even more popular musics. Prog sort of falls in a weird category that gets neglected by both classical music scholars and people focusing on popular music, since it's somewhere in between. This is part of the reason that I want to teach this class.

I recently watched the documentary Prog Rock Britannia. I think that might be a good assignment for the class.

Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

Don't forget to include a group or sub-gender of progressive music outside the English-language, Rock Progresivo Italiano for one, South American, etc, each one of them rich and varied with the incorporation of local influences, rhythms, etc.
Some of this would come out just from the genres on this site. Italian prog, Krautrock, the symphonic revival from Scandinavian countries...this will all be in the course.

A "Prog from South America" section sounds interesting. Maybe a "Prog from Asia" section as well? I can't do every country, but broad regions might be doable. The key would be being able to identify broad characteristics that are specific to each region.

Any suggestions on this? Bands/regions to focus on? Also where would most of these bands be in on this site? Prog folk?

Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I think Zuehl should be included as well - it's not as obscure as you think. MDK, for example is listed as one of Rolling Stone's top 50 prog albums. I think it's just too unique and interesting not to mention anyways.
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Leaving Zeuhl out is a big mistake.
Seeing a couple votes for Zeuhl here. Sell me on this. Why is it important enough to be included?

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Why leave any of the genres out? There is a reason they exist. Even prog related tells a story. True not all entries are created equal but the early Led Zeppelin, Queen and Bowie are quite valid.
There's a very limited amount of time to cover a vast amount of material. Sacrifices must be made.

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I agree, you need to mention how punk allegedly killed off prog rock and it's revival with Marillion and neo-prog.
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Drafting a syllabus for a progressive rock course sounds more or less like the title of a forthcoming Kayo Dot album to me. So why leave out RIO/Avant?
No offense guys, but you need to read what I posted...

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

On RIO I'd go with Henry Cow - Leg End as a great example of the early development of the genre along with Samla Mammas Manna - Maltid. For Canterbury use Caravan - If I Could ... and Hatfield and The North - s/t.
Which specific albums from those artists would be the best representatives?

Also, no Zappa for RIO?

Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

I love the idea of this course! 

But exactly how do you plan to make sure all of the students have access to all of the required music for homework?  Do they have to go out and buy it?  It can be expensive, and some bands like King Crimson, are difficult to acquire as digital downloads so they'd have to order CDs.  Is it copyright infringement to make a couple dozen copies to distribute to your students on a temporary basis?  How do you see this all working in a legal/aboveboard way that won't get the school in trouble (and you fired)?
They definitely wouldn't need to buy the albums. Basically, most classes nowadays have online databases that students can log into to get course materials. For instance, I'm taking two classes that have a lot of reading assignments - for many of those the instructor simply scanned the articles or chapters to be read and uploaded them as pdfs. For these albums, I could upload rips of albums into the course page. Since they'd have to log in with their student ID's it wouldn't just be "out there" for everyone to grab, so there wouldn't be legal ramifications.

The specifics would vary from institution to institution, but this can be worked out. I'm not worried about this element.

Music libraries at schools could have some of these albums as well. The main focus is classical music, but they have a lot of rock stuff as well.

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 16:06
I recommend just putting King Crimson in Symphonic Prog. That’s what they basically were in the early years. They merit the Eclectic classification from their later work. Using PA’s genre’s in broad form doesn’t mean you have to be faithful to them. PA has some rules like a band can only belong to one sub genre, which is a practicality of the PA as an archive that would not be your concern. You don’t want to include Jazz/Rock Fusion, but if you cover the Canterbury sub genre you’ll end up covering a portion of it anyway, so you might think about that. If you leave out Canterbury, that would be just weird, as Prog is often understood as largely an amalgamation of Symphonic Prog and Canterbury Prog developing in parallel.

For Symphonic Prog I would include The Nice, Moody Blues, King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, and, although I don't like them, Gentle Giant.

For Canterbury I would without a doubt include Soft Machine, Gong, Camel and Caravan, and others.

For RIO I would include Frank Zappa (early stuff Lumpy Gravy, etc.), Univers Zero and Henry Cow and others.

For Jazz/Rock Fusion, if you change your mind, I would include Frank Zappa (Hot Rats album), Mahavishnu Orchestra, and the Miles Davis album, Bitches Brew.

For Krautrock I would include Amon Düül II, Popul Vuh and Faust. Steer clear of Ash Ra tempel (pathetic). A lot of German Prog are influenced by Krautrock even if they aren’t strictly classified that way. I’m thinking here of Nektar and Eloy.

For Psychedelic/Space Rock I would include (early) Pink Floyd, Nektar, Gong, Hawkwind (choose wisely), Jade Warrior. Especially with Sad Barrett's Pink Floyd and the first Nektar album, the central importance of the use of analog delay is something to highlight.

For Prog Folk I would include Lindisfarne, Jethro Tull (Songs From the Wood, Heavy Horses), the Strawbs, Jan Dukes de Gray, and though I’m not crazy about them, Pentangle. Not included on PA, but also well deserving inclusion would Shawn Phillips from U.S.

If you do anything in regard to Ethnic/World Music, Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett are obvious ones, but I'd encourage you to not overlook Jade Warrior.

Edited by HackettFan - March 23 2018 at 16:44
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>