Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Drafting a syllabus for a progressive rock course
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drafting a syllabus for a progressive rock course

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 08:14
Probably a bit late, but... "Drawing heavily on elements of classical music" - some doubt it's that heavy, or think that the references are often rather superficial. 
On the other hand, there's rock adaptations of classical music such as Pictures at an Exhibition, Bouree, and the material by Ekseption and Sky, which may be worthwhile covering in a course like that. The whole issue of connection (or lack of it) between prog and classical music is probably quite interesting (and not that staightforward). 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 08:20
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Mosh ruins another thread.

He has a point though.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 08:30
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

He has a point though.

He does but it's kind of hard to appreciate that while having to wade through all the unneeded derision.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 09:53
What's a syllabus? ;)
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 10:00
It's what Sylla uses to get to work
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 19:14

He has a point though.
Yeah, which point? The point he had in which the college music course should study why some musicians were in jail. That was nothing more than another pointless rant with numerous incongruous meanderings. Standard Mosh over and over again. He tries to convince everyone that every thread he’s interested in or not interested in is misguided. He’ll have to pardon all of us who are interested in the matter at hand.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 05:06

He has a point though.
Yeah, which point? The point he had in which the college music course should study why some musicians were in jail. That was nothing more than another pointless rant with numerous incongruous meanderings. Standard Mosh over and over again. He tries to convince everyone that every thread he’s interested in or not interested in is misguided. He’ll have to pardon all of us who are interested in the matter at hand.

I think the point that Pedro was trying to make (albeit in that blunt polemical style of his) is that any academic study of the development of Progressive Rock would have to be cognisant of the political regimes in those differing locations where the phenomenon was manifest i.e. 'Cold War' Progressive musicians/artists would face considerably more oppression, censorship and plain vanilla  'state brutality' than the like of Yes, Floyd, Genesis, Nice, Tull, Crimson in the European west circa 1968. It seems clear that any such syllabus should reflect that the fruit is only as good as the soil etc
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 05:19
I am with the Hackett fan.....Moshkito attempts to belittle so many posters. He should learn that opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one - Mosh thinks that his sh*t don't stink!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 05:20
you got too little on progressive metal. Fates Warning , QR may help explain the birth of the genre but there's so much more. Put a twist on any metal subgenre - poly-rhythms and a bit of experimentation and you got a prog-metal hybrid (if you ask me). 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 06:17
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I think the point that Pedro was trying to make (albeit in that blunt polemical style of his) is that any academic study of the development of Progressive Rock would have to be cognisant of the political regimes in those differing locations where the phenomenon was manifest i.e. 'Cold War' Progressive musicians/artists would face considerably more oppression, censorship and plain vanilla  'state brutality' than the like of Yes, Floyd, Genesis, Nice, Tull, Crimson in the European west circa 1968. It seems clear that any such syllabus should reflect that the fruit is only as good as the soil etc

You nailed it. And not just political, also social, cultural connections to the world around.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 10:46
You should also consider the role of technology in the development of Progressive Rock.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 18:31

You nailed it. And not just political, also social, cultural connections to the world around.
Okay, I was presuming that this was intended as a MUSIC course. The course description and OP sounds as if the focus was indeed music. On the other side, the title of the course does contain the word ‘literature’. Only the OP/course designer can resolve what direction he intends. Nevertheless, the point about “the soil only being as good as the ground” provides a strange proposal; that the course should focus on why Progressive did not develop in certain places through no fault of its own. A good musing question for a thread (and I’ve mused it). I doubt it would do anything good for a course, given the arbitrariness of culture.

As for Mosh’s tone, that left me very miffed. He was insulting someone relatively new to this forum, and would make a fine contribution to it.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 18:49
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

You should also consider the role of technology in the development of Progressive Rock.

I would think so too. Zappa was the first to use a wah wah pedal. Pink Floyd made very central use of delay. The volume pedal was very important for Hackett and Fripp. Keith Emerson tried keyboards out during development stages for Robert Moog. An explosion of effects pedals began and grew at the incipient stages of Prog. And many other things.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 20:54

With only one thought in mind ... the fruit in another country must not be very good. 

How would that person know when they never ate it. Better yet, as is the case here, when they never even heard of it, and anyone mentioning it is supposedly out of the loop.

I am NOT, and have never been against the English or the America BS, however, to specify that the rest of the world never saw "progressive" music before Genesis, or Yes, or who ever you care to think created the world, is ... for the most part ... extremely naďve and fails in the most important part of it all, when it comes to the arts, and very visible in all music ... where many other countries also had something as good and just as strong in a "progressive" vein, albeit perhaps closer to musical theater and a kind of Weill/Brecht style, but this is something that the "rock audience" thinks is not historically valid ... because only their HITS count in the end.

I was there in the 60's, and music meant a lot more than a song, when compared to many folks's ideas and stated thoughts. And it was that "meaning" that helped bring it to life and showed its important potential and what it could do ... but all we can talk about here is the list of 5 things that are "required" in a progressive piece of music, with complete contempt and dislike for anyone else that also did it, but will never get any credit, however small it might be ... it's like all the other countries in Europe were all stupid and not good enough musicians to do anything of value.

I, honestly, can not think of anything that is most insulting, and disappointing, than some folks here completely denying that the rest of the world can not play music. Or paint a work. Or write a book. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 21:07

As for Mosh’s tone, that left me very miffed. He was insulting someone relatively new to this forum, and would make a fine contribution to it.

I have had a chance to discuss this with a few professors in my time, myself being a hardcore fan of the RSC acting schools, and the more experimental works being done since the 60's in theater, film, and also in music.

It was never the intent to downplay his efforts, but it was a difficult moment in trying to explain that not all music history is just a piece of music, from various different views, that supposedly follow a style that is not defined properly and is not a bona fide example within the history of music at all. 

Without its history, most music is just a pop song, as so many folks that write here believe and continually compare it to. And, yes, popular music, and its "oral tradition" (as Bill Bruford states), will always survive, but the funny thing is not many of you here can name that many songs from the 1900's, and that ... for my tastes, hurts. I value a lot of this music to no end, and would love to see it picked up and be considered the master works that so many of them are ... but if all you can do is say that Dream Theater did these 5 things and then Batukadakaka did these 5 things, the music and its lyrics, suffers ... it's very important value in its completeness is missing, and this hurts the work we do, and care about.

The gentleman knows, I bet, that his work is going to get a thorough review by some professors, many of which are even going to say ... how is that important compare to the 5th or the 9th? Where is its strength that makes it as important as those grand pieces for that time and place? And his work will suffer for lacking that.

While not wanting to tear it down, it is better as is than not have it, the sad thing is how to make it all more valuable, and constructive criticism is NOT the what the guy needs at this moment in his work and definition ... he is looking for depth and detail to help his idea come alive, and if all you can do is consider Mosh someone that doesn't believe that Romania, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Greece, Russia, Japan, China, Brazil Argentina, and many other places ... you are in the wrong.

I know the music is there, and it is heard all over the Internet. Only the folks that refuse to listen to it with an open ear, will deny those artists a chance to live their love in music! And, if I am an artist, I don't think that an academic something or other is what I am about ... I only concern myself with the work at hand.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 22:42
Let's be honest. Physics envy is what mosh has. Like all of the subjective arts courses it's all opinion and no standard model of maths to support any argument! The only science is that of sound, harmonics and the evolution of brains that are stimulated by it. Plus the electronic and engineering of artefacts to make agreeable sounds. Culture is also driven by evolution. Like what you like. Move to the groove. PEACE.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 23:00
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I have had a chance to discuss this with a few professors in my time, myself being a hardcore fan of the RSC acting schools, and the more experimental works being done since the 60's in theater, film, and also in music.

It was never the intent to downplay his efforts, but it was a difficult moment in trying to explain that not all music history is just a piece of music, from various different views, that supposedly follow a style that is not defined properly and is not a bona fide example within the history of music at all. 

Without its history, most music is just a pop song, as so many folks that write here believe and continually compare it to. And, yes, popular music, and its "oral tradition" (as Bill Bruford states), will always survive, but the funny thing is not many of you here can name that many songs from the 1900's, and that ... for my tastes, hurts. I value a lot of this music to no end, and would love to see it picked up and be considered the master works that so many of them are ... but if all you can do is say that Dream Theater did these 5 things and then Batukadakaka did these 5 things, the music and its lyrics, suffers ... it's very important value in its completeness is missing, and this hurts the work we do, and care about.

The gentleman knows, I bet, that his work is going to get a thorough review by some professors, many of which are even going to say ... how is that important compare to the 5th or the 9th? Where is its strength that makes it as important as those grand pieces for that time and place? And his work will suffer for lacking that.

While not wanting to tear it down, it is better as is than not have it, the sad thing is how to make it all more valuable, and constructive criticism is NOT the what the guy needs at this moment in his work and definition ... he is looking for depth and detail to help his idea come alive, and if all you can do is consider Mosh someone that doesn't believe that Romania, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Greece, Russia, Japan, China, Brazil Argentina, and many other places ... you are in the wrong.

I know the music is there, and it is heard all over the Internet. Only the folks that refuse to listen to it with an open ear, will deny those artists a chance to live their love in music! And, if I am an artist, I don't think that an academic something or other is what I am about ... I only concern myself with the work at hand.

You have traded out Progressive Rock for “Progressive Music”. This forum is a Progressive Rock site, and the thread is discussing a syllabus for a Progressive ROCK course. There are other things you said about the primacy of history over music in music history that I simply don’t agree with.

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 08:22
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Why are you so presumptuous as to being privy to the OP's requirements for a college syllabus on the history of Progressive Rock music?  The OP is simply looking for listening suggestions. If those listening suggestions contain bands/artists that originate from countries where the extant political regime was inimical to progressive artistic expression, then more grist to the mill e.g. despite stifling societal/economic/political constraints, similar musical developments and innovation are manifest in recordings by band/artist XYZ etc 

Do a first world band free from state censorship and any conceivable material want have any excuses left to sound like Dream Theater (sic)?Wink

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 29 2018 at 00:15
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2018 at 07:46
I'm curious how this works out.
Universeal12 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Universeal12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2018 at 10:02
I think Zeuhl should be included in the course. Or at least just Magma. Magma seems to be a very progressive band, and to be signify some of the core traits of a really good prog band.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>