Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Drafting a syllabus for a progressive rock course
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drafting a syllabus for a progressive rock course

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lamneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 09:48
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

you got too little on progressive metal. Fates Warning , QR may help explain the birth of the genre but there's so much more. Put a twist on any metal subgenre - poly-rhythms and a bit of experimentation and you got a prog-metal hybrid (if you ask me). 

Agree - Fates Warning & QR barely-there prog bands, IMO.  There are much better examples... It would be criminal not to include Symphony X and Pain of Salvation.  You mentioned polyrhythms... Tesseract a possible good example of where the genre has been headed lately.  Really one could do an entire course on just progressive metal and how it's evolved through the years, but a chapter will probably do. 

Edited by Lamneth - June 08 2018 at 10:18
Anomandaris View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomandaris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 14:58
Hi everyone. So, it's been awhile since I posted. Apologies for the delay in getting back to all of you; I've had a lot going on recently. 

As some of you may have guessed, the school semester is over (it has been for about a month now). I'd been meaning to post this update sooner, but other things got in the way.

So, without further ado, I'd like to share with all of you the final version of my syllabus. By "final," I mean what I turned in for my class. The actual syllabus for the class in practice if it ever becomes a reality (hopefully at some point!) is still eligible for revision, and I'd still welcome feedback for that incarnation based on what I'm sharing now.

The main difference between this and what I posted before is that I completely filled out the listening list, and I added readings to coincide with the listening assignments in order to better contextualize everything.

Rather than post the entire text of the syllabus in this message, I'd thought it'd be better to give a dropbox link to a pdf.

Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwas23jh62sf4li/Progressive%20rock%20syllabus.pdf?dl=0

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 15:10
I don't consider Tool and Mars Volta to be prog; anyway I hope the course will become a reality, because it looks and above all sounds highly interesting.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 16:54
Originally posted by Anomandaris Anomandaris wrote:

Hi everyone. So, it's been awhile since I posted. Apologies for the delay in getting back to all of you; I've had a lot going on recently. 

As some of you may have guessed, the school semester is over (it has been for about a month now). I'd been meaning to post this update sooner, but other things got in the way.

So, without further ado, I'd like to share with all of you the final version of my syllabus. By "final," I mean what I turned in for my class. The actual syllabus for the class in practice if it ever becomes a reality (hopefully at some point!) is still eligible for revision, and I'd still welcome feedback for that incarnation based on what I'm sharing now.

The main difference between this and what I posted before is that I completely filled out the listening list, and I added readings to coincide with the listening assignments in order to better contextualize everything.

Rather than post the entire text of the syllabus in this message, I'd thought it'd be better to give a dropbox link to a pdf.

Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwas23jh62sf4li/Progressive%20rock%20syllabus.pdf?dl=0

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Congratulations on the syllabus, it looks very good from my point of view. I know it would be impossible to come up with something that would make everyone happy, but I think you've done a very good and comprehensive job for a course in progressive music. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234