Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Psychedelic Scene.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Psychedelic Scene.
    Posted: March 23 2018 at 09:49
For those that can't get enough of the 60's Texas psychedelic scene, Ben Graham's book "A Gathering of Promises" is chock full of the history and music of 13th Floor Elevators and all the prominent International Artists acts like the Golden Dawn, Red Crayola, Lost and Found et al, as well as the Moving Sidewalks and a history of early folk and blues singing by Janis Joplin before she joined Big Brother and the Holding Company.

Another must have is "Stacy Sutherland-Down the Rabbit Hole", which sheds light on the brooding and enigmatic guitarist of the 13th Floor Elevators and his tragic murder by his wife, as told by both Sutherland's wife and his mother. Naturally, the accounts differ but are fascinating as was Stacy himself.

Edited by SteveG - April 03 2018 at 04:25
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2018 at 10:19

Another recent addition to the Elevators' discography is this live collection of key Elevators' songs that's taken from an excellent sounding tape source considering the era and the probable equipment used. Of the 15 songs are "You're Gonna Miss Me", "Kingdom of Heaven" and "Splash 1".
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 04:44

"Corky's Debt To His Father". If one was  to play Mayo Thompson's only solo album from 1970, they would find that the mastermind of the Red Crayola had created another album that fits nowhere in the music world in either the past, present or, possibly, the future. That's because Thompson has once again thrown out the rule book and conjured up his own style of country and blues that puts sexual exploration in the forefront while keeping intact his penchant for making music that is quirky as well as being both lyrically revealing and obtuse at the same time. I don't know how psychedelic one would view "Corky's Debt.." but it could only follow Red Crayola's "Parable of Arable Land" and "God Bless The Red Crayola..." in someone's album playing in order to make it fit in any musical category. I suppose that could be a psychedelic trait if one had the proper "mindset" while listening to it.

Edited by SteveG - April 02 2018 at 08:07
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 04:58
^Really, really, really great album! But I bet here´s a lot of people who will hate Mayo´s voice.

Edited by Mortte - April 02 2018 at 04:59
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 05:03
Yeah, a bit off key and very 'monotone', but it does fit the music.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 05:09
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yeah, a bit off key and very 'monotone', but it does fit the music.
I love his voice! & His music! I believe you´re familiar also Krayola´s seventies-2000-albums?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 05:44
Yes sir! From Coconut Hotel onward!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 15:21
I have the two Elevator albums on cd and an anthology of Roky's solo stuff.
I have heard the Moving Sidewalks and a few other things over the years.
Thanks for posting the other names above.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 15:40
I am sorry, but there are no corners to psychedelics. There is only empty expanses. Sometimes rounded sofas floating in the galactic ether.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 18:16
^ I once saw an Ottoman too.  But, yeah.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 22:51
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I once saw an Ottoman too.  But, yeah.

Nothing beats seeing a 3-piece tie-dyed ensemble, talking to each other
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 23:17
^Harry Partch Ensemble?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 04:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I have the two Elevator albums on cd and an anthology of Roky's solo stuff.
I have heard the Moving Sidewalks and a few other things over the years.
Thanks for posting the other names above.
I hope you've got the new Charly/Snapper reissue Cd's Doc. The one's on the old Collectibles label sound absolutely horrible IMO.  

Edited by SteveG - April 03 2018 at 04:20
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 04:24
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I am sorry, but there are no corners to psychedelics. There is only empty expanses. Sometimes rounded sofas floating in the galactic ether.
I feel your logic Greg, so let's try Psychedelic Scene!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 15:39

1970's "Fully Qualified Survivor" is hailed by a few (including it's current reissue label LITA) as a psychedelic masterpiece. For most others its a folk rock classic that never got it's due. For others, it's a meditation on life's rocky roads delivered with zen like clarity and steely understatement. Whatever category this album is placed in it's worth a listen, even 48 years later as it still seems to fit everywhere and nowhere. Just like Michael Chapman.                                                                       

Edited by SteveG - April 16 2018 at 15:43
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 20:42
Steve.........
Sadly I have the old Collectable ones... :(
but thanks for the heads up

Edited by dr wu23 - April 16 2018 at 20:43
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 20:54
I love this album...one of my favorite psych rock things

Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply