FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Great King Crimson Ripoff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 08:04
Of course you shouldn't go if you think its too much. They are one of the very few bands I would pay that to see.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 08:51
All bands charge what the market can bear......the Stones and other 'classic bands' have been 'overcharging' for years. Also the venue in this case might be taking more of the profits  so the band charges a bit more to compensate.
Wilson in Chicago in May...$85 which is about 60 pounds......same thing.

Frankly I don't think those prices are too high for a quality performance from a band you like. As someone said...don't go then.

ps...average ticket price for a known Broadway show is $100 these days 

Edited by dr wu23 - March 25 2018 at 08:56
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 10:12
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I would go and see them for $89.77. When they came to San Diego, the cheapest ticket was $205.00.

Presumably the scalpers grabbed all the tickets?
No. That was the price at Ticket Master.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 11:53
Saw much worse.

$300 for a Montréal Canadiens game..laughable.

And what about Orgre Waters at $300-600?

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 12:10
Ha! Ha! Charade you are!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 15:02
Just to put the conversation in perspective, the first time I paid to see King Crimson was in 1971.  I paid $5.00 for the loge seats at the Academy of Music in New York City.  King Crimson was the second opening act.  The first opening act was Yes (with Rick Wakeman) and the headliner was Procol Harum.  Wow how times (and prices) have changed.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 15:22
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Of course you shouldn't go if you think its too much. They are one of the very few bands I would pay that to see.

Truth. 

Firth time they rolled through last summer, paid $50 for a ticket, probably the best value per dollar I ever spent on a concert. Second time, I opted to go for better seats, easily paid the most I've ever paid to see a concert, and still felt it was a good use of my limited monies. If they come through again, I'll have no problem paying in that same ballpark again.

But the OP doesn't seem to care about any of that. This just seems to be a kvetching thread, which is fine, but shouldn't be treated with any amount of seriousness. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 15:34
a ripoff??  nah. I have no idea what we paid to see them but imagine it wasn't cheap.  I mean I have more love for Dee-Lite than I do K.C. and even on top of being just a few days out of the ER and suffering debilatating nicotine fits.. I enjoyed the show.  They might have not been all that.. but it was fun and worth whatever we paid for it.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 15:46
Complaining about ticket prices these days is like complaining about the price of gas......all things go up....
when I started driving gas in the US was about 19 cents a gallon...now it's $2.49 here in Indiana.
And so it goes.......this is not about KC ripping anyone off it's the sign of the times in general.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 19:46
That's not a rip-off, paid $87 to see them in Seattle last June and it was a brilliant show. On the other hand paid $35 for Steven Wilson tickets for upcoming show in May. Different venue and I think SW is under charging, considering the quality of his shows.

Why do you think it is a rip-off?? Venues are not cheap to rent along with all the venue staff, security and royalties they pay the venue for merch sales probably.

The theater they played holds about 1,800 x $90 = $162K that's all and I bet $30 of that ticket goes to the venue....

Roger Waters charging $200-500 for The Wall is a supreme rip-off.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 21:40
I'm going to see Todd Rundgren's latest version of Utopia in Washington DC for $84.  I'm rather excited but its a lot for a ticket. Unhappy

Edited by cemego - March 25 2018 at 21:41
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 00:00
;)

Edited by Barbu - March 26 2018 at 16:23
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 08:14
In the interim - city next door, Manchester, my old stomping ground - The Stranglers, playing Manchester Apollo, similar size, £33. 

Half the price. 

ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 09:45
Well clearly a prog band is worth at least twice as much as a punk band.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 11:31
Hi,

There are some artists, that are way far and above the status of many folks, and the history of THEIR music will live far beyond the top ten hit factories and the popular stuff.

It is the same with many well known folks ... do you think that Nureyev tickets were any less? Or Misha? Or Pavarotti? ... the answer is NO ... but these folks only come around once in a lifetime, and if you do not have the chance to see them, you will miss them, and when you look at the continuity of their work, and its presentation, you will know that you missed something.

I think that too much stuff is placed with the "top of the pops" area, and it was the same thing a few years back with the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, both strictly ripping off the fans, but for them it was the only chance they had to see them, so i will not judge it.

However, in many of these cases, part of their appeal is that these folks WERE/ARE special in concert and the price is just making up for the fact that they are playing a more intimate location than otherwise (in KC's case), instead of a larger venue to cash in, which FM and the E's did.

The other one, and I have written about it, is Roger. It's not PF, but it is the best chance you have to actually see a large part of the incredible experience that it was, in every aspect, not just the music.
KC's, for all intents and purposes, is the best "classical music" concert that you will ever see, and you would not be there to dance your tush, and neither will you be there to scream "rock'n'roll".

I don't know how one measures the value of moments in your lifetime. Mine, even though I have never had the ability to be free of financial constraints, never allowed PF, TD to be ignored. And I do not regret this. And every day, when I get to go around to see a band or two at a bar, and/or at some venue here in Portland, I am glad I got to see some things during my life. I bought tickets for my close friend to see KC, which he was not 100% onto yet, and when the whole thing was over and we're walking out, the only thing he said ... this certainly shows the difference in what should be called "music".

You won't likely get that many times in your life, and when you get older, there are some things that you saw that still bring you tears ... I still cry when I think of YES, at the Long Beach Arena doing their TFTO tour, and when I left I cried, because I knew right then and there that I would not likely see too many more special shows of music in my life. I got lucky. Later I saw the original Space Ritual Tour, then TD's first tour at the Santa Monica Civic, and then later with Laserium all over the trees at the Greek Theater (pictures on the live album), and later a photo op trip with GONG for a couple of shows ... I wish I could tell you how valuable these were, as opposed to a couple of different shows here in Portland by OT that had sound problems, even after I warned them that this city hurt bands with keyboards, because they only knew how to do guitars and screaming, and of course, the band's music was literally ruined by the missing of the rest.

You get what you pay for most of the time ... KC, may not be one of your favorites, but they will be remembered with the biggest of the best for a long time, and their compositional and performing angle is insanely stupendous. One of the best!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 11:33
FRI SEP 26, 2014 8:00 PM - three drummer lineup, I liked this show even better than the subsequent tour.  Jaw-dropping amazing, one of the best shows I ever saw (and I've seen LTIA Crim, CTTE Yes etc.)    

A mere $120.00 US, plus a few fees.  I'd do it again in a second.  Here's the set list.  See them while you can.

Edited by cstack3 - March 26 2018 at 11:35
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 11:50
I agree with you man!  I was horrified to see that filet mignon was so expensive, when a hamburger at mcdonalds was only a dollar.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 11:59
KC is worth the money. (If you can afford it.)
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 13:23
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

<span style="font-family: Helvetica;">FRI SEP 26, 2014 8:00 PM - three drummer lineup, I liked this show even better than the subsequent tour.  Jaw-dropping amazing, one of the best shows I ever saw (and I've seen LTIA Crim, CTTE Yes etc.)    </span>
<span style="font-family: Helvetica;">
</span>
<span style="font-family: Helvetica;">A mere $120.00 US, plus a few fees.  I'd do it again in a second.  Here's the set list.  See them while you can.</span>
<font face="Helvetica"><span style="font-size: 11px;">
</span>

<span style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 11px;">
</span>
<span style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 11px;">
</span>

I will be seeing them in Cardiff, Charles. I simply cannot wait.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 14:19
There are so many bands that I enjoy just as much (some more) that play for a fraction of the price that need my money way more than Fripp. I reflexively mocked my 2 friends who had to buy plane tickets to pay $150 each to see Roger Waters. Dead

That same month I saw Bent Knee and 2 other very good bands for $15.

Even Magma was only $25. 

Edited by Tapfret - March 26 2018 at 14:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>