Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Great King Crimson Ripoff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 16:18
I can't afford tickets for prog acts at large venues anymore - period. Steve Hackett was recently in town for around the same price as those you quoted. God love you big spenders.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 22:31
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I can't afford tickets for prog acts at large venues anymore - period. Steve Hackett was recently in town for around the same price as those you quoted. God love you big spenders.

If you have access to a college town or city, seek out smaller venues.  

In the Chicago region, we have a small theater called The Arcada that has hosted many big-names including Carl Palmer, Jon Anderson and Steve Hackett.  Yes (Jon Davidson version) is playing soon, and tickets only run about $40 or so for these shows.  

Brand X plays a small venue in Chicago called "Reggies," and I've seen them in a smaller place called "Martyrs." 

Also, seek out guitar/drum/bass clinics.  I met Mike Keneally at a clinic within walking distance to my house, it was great to chat with him!  Totally free.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 07:47
Mike Keneally is always an amazing show, and always super cheap!  Not so great for Mike probably, but i never miss him
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 07:50
Just bought tickets for Bent Knee & Nik Bartsch Ronin both less than $40. The gigs are out there people.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 09:54
Yes is playing in a lovely, small theater in suburban Chicago for a reasonable ticket price of $69.00 to $125.00

I'm going to pass, simply because I hope to see ARW play later this summer at the lovely outdoor Ravinia venue. 

I may kick myself, as I think they open with "Revealing," but this version of Yes isn't my favorite.  
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 09:59
Simon Phillips recently played a jazz club here in L.A. for only $25 admission.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 10:08
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Yes is playing in a lovely, small theater in suburban Chicago for a reasonable ticket price of $69.00 to $125.00

Don't think it's a very reasonable price for that version of Yes.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 11:29
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Don't think it's a very reasonable price for that version of Yes.

LOL!!  I thought the same thing!!  

Jon Anderson did his "Voice of Yes" show at the Arcada, I filmed this clip.  I think tickets were something like $30 each.  Priceless. 

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 11:48
^ Saw him too 4 or 5 years ago ($30-40 I think), it was a terrific evening for me. Man, he must have played a good 30 Yes tunes...not every one of them complete, of course, sometimes only snippets of the longer stuff but quite impressive for a guy alone on stage...and that beautiful voice, man!

Spoke with the organizer and he told me that Jon was a very easy-going guy. He spent 2 days in town, making drawings in his hotel room during the afternoon, he looked like he was really enjoying himself.

Edited by Barbu - March 30 2018 at 12:47
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 19:11
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^ Saw him too 4 or 5 years ago ($30-40 I think), it was a terrific evening for me. Man, he must have played a good 30 Yes tunes...not every one of them complete, of course, sometimes only snippets of the longer stuff but quite impressive for a guy alone on stage...and that beautiful voice, man!

Spoke with the organizer and he told me that Jon was a very easy-going guy. He spent 2 days in town, making drawings in his hotel room during the afternoon, he looked like he was really enjoying himself.

Glad you saw it!  One highlight for me was seeing him sing "Revealing Science of God," accompanying himself on electric keyboard.  I never saw Yes do that one live, so I can now die happy!  

I saw Anderson Ponty Band at the same venue.  This little place (Arcada Theater) really pulls them in!   Other recent appearances were Uriah Heep (whomever is left), Blue Oyster Cult, and other heavies from the past. Love the joint! 

Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 13:35
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Tickets for King Crimson playing at Liverpool, £63.50, ie $89.77.

Rip off. 

I too think it's a ripoff, considering that the gig is to be held in LiverpoolUK, so not a lot of travel and/or hotel expenses incurred by the band. If in the US or another distant country, then the price may have been reasonable.  

I once attended a ClapHawkwind Clap gig in Greece for just 19 Euros.

Steve McGeeve View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 22:43
I'd happily pay 90 dollars if I could go and see the band with Belew and Bruford in it. But from what I've seen of the recent live vids, they're playing the earlier stuff, which is less to my taste.

Honestly the price doesn't seem that much, to me. My problem with going to see legacy acts is that they can seem like a cover band version of their former selves, especially if key members are gone. I won't go to the Stranglers for this reason, and have also avoided Celtic rock band Big Country. I just know it's not going to be the experience I really want to have, which would require a damn time machine. 

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 16:50
Just checked my ticket for Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman at Newcastle City Hall this coming June, and after all the booking and transaction fees it comes to £88.75!!!! Might have to hide that one from the wife or I'll be banned for a year from attending concerts! Steve Howe's Yes are getting some stick from me for releasing the new version of Fly from Here, but credit to them for keeping the price at the nearby, acoustically-friendlier Sage, Gateshead under £50.

Maybe the price includes a curry with Rick - I'll get back to you!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123