Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WTF Phil ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTF Phil ???
    Posted: March 25 2018 at 11:18
Ok...so god bless his soul for wanting to honour his touring commitments but WTF ???
Is this Phil Collins or that guy from the Six Flags Commercial ? Time to put it to rest Phil.

Next up, The Rolling Stones Steel Wheelchair Tour!

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 11:25
Seems a bit harsh, didn't he have a back injury or something?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 11:31
Well....he could have at least stood with some kind of support....in a chair honestly....next he'll be thinking he's Robert Fripp.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 12:19
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Seems a bit harsh, didn't he have a back injury or something?
He had some sort of back surgery, but it was a fall on the way to the can where he smacked his head on a chair for some serious stitches that put him in this position. (Help, I've fallen and I can't get up).

Nevertheless, ELP garnered a world of hate here when they did the 40th Anniversary concert, and as one their biggest fans I had to agree, they weren't up to it. At least not the live stuff, and that was due to a physical restriction with Keith's hand and perhaps Greg's aging voice and limited range, I still believe they could have done some great recordings.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 12:39
"I Can't Dance" could be the caption for that image as it has become more relevant for Phil Collins.

I'm thankful that Robert Wyatt didn't give up music after his back-breaking accident in 1973 that left him paralysed from the waist down and wheelchair bound. He came back very successfully, one might say, to quote a Phil song, against all odds.

Even if Phil Collins were to become wheelchair bound, that doesn't mean that he won't be in your hearts. That's All I have to say, as personally I Don't Care Anymore if he retires or not, just because I'm not a big fan or one might say an Easy Lover of his music. Seriously, more power to him for continuing to perform despite any physical issues. Sometimes the show must go on.

Edited by Logan - March 25 2018 at 12:41
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HemispheresOfXanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 12:50
Ian Anderson and Dave Grohl come to mind. Like Phil Collins, I have more respect for them than, say, Axel Rose or [some other famous person who is/was late a lot].
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 13:38
hahhaha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 14:30
Hey, the guy had a nasty accident (he slipped in the bath room and crashed onto a stool or something),
so give him some slack for still trying..
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 14:31
Old Father Time (Lee Sklar) in the background isn't helping matters much.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 15:57
Look....does he really even need to do this...he's made a sh*te load of money according to sales data. Why is he even still on stage?
https://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/celeb/musician/phil-collins-net-worth/
260 million.....Phil...retire already.

LOL

Edited by dr wu23 - March 25 2018 at 15:59
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 17:03
"....You STAND there with your fixed expression..."
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 17:05
The energy of a supportive crowd must be worth it in itself. 

Aaaah thousands of people to connect with and share the very feeling !! Muhammad Ali could also enjoy this... Hawking also ...? Emerson must have lost that blessing after the '77 tour.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 18:36
He looks rough for his age. I'm not aware of what accident or injury he's dealing with, but that's unfortunate.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 19:48
I guess some people can't let it go. Look at Ian Anderson, Paul McCartney, Geddy Lee, they can hardly sing, and still are going on touring (though Geddy Lee seems to finally have accepted the sad true).
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 19:57
Pity, in his day he was probably the BEST drummer in prog rock!  

He should listen to the lyrics of "Ripples"....
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 19:59
He starred in this video.....great song and video. Clap

Related image
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 20:09
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Pity, in his day he was probably the BEST drummer in prog rock!  

I think he is highly underrated in the larger world.. but let's not overrate him in our fish bowl

he was a good prog drummer... but he was no Carl Palmer.

in a word.. Toccata... IMO the single most impressive drumming in all prog rock right there.  Only Palmer could have composed and pulled that off...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 21:43
Oh, aging rockers.  Maybe they remind us of our own mortality.

I'll never forget this sad if completely unfair photo of one of my guitar gods -

Related image
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 21:45
it's shocking to see how fast Phil deteriorated ---very sad. I've been seeing pics of his concerts on Facebook and he does the whole thing from a chair. His voice is hit or miss but still sort of there. Tony Banks saw him and commented on how fragile he is. And recently said tours of Genesis would most likely never happen. It's sad because the band is not that old and all of them are in good shape except Phil.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 02:16
^EVH started going downhill in the early 2000's. I think he had part of his tongue removed due to cancer? He wasn't exactly caring for his health his entire career, either.

I think Tony Banks recently said somewhere that Genesis is done.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>