Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Prog Underrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Prog Underrated?
    Posted: March 27 2018 at 13:46
Is prog just the b*****d stepchild of rock or does it have a real musical pedigree in the outside world?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 13:48
Both??
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 13:50
Both? Ok, please elaborate.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 14:14
Well, Prog has most definitely had moments where it definitely is rock music. However, there have also been moments where it came from left field and has had moments outside of rock music
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 14:24
^ Agree 100%. But does prog being outside of rock make it more of an art form than being part of rock? Its just your opinion, but I'm curious to see how prog is perceived by both prog and non prog fans. And I assume you're part of the former. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 14:41
The question isn't "What is Prog?"

But the answer is: "Not quite everything!" (:
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 14:42
Like most art/genres that in one way or another falls between two stools or more it tends to have a harder time than the "purer" art forms. Its not rock, not jazz, not classical, not academic, not from the streets... so yeah I think its pretty safe to say that its underrated by many who refuse to give it an actual chance. But then again its kind of overrated by the "prog-believers" so I don't know. More than anything its misunderstood. 

Edited by Saperlipopette! - March 27 2018 at 14:43
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 14:59
Well...yeah. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 15:47
I saw on a website earlier today where progressive rock came in third(behind heavy metal and hard rock respectively). It even beat punk and alternative. That's pretty good. So yeah, I would say the days of prog being this obscure genre that hardly anyone has heard of are clearly over. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 15:48
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ Agree 100%. But does prog being outside of rock make it more of an art form than being part of rock? Its just your opinion, but I'm curious to see how prog is perceived by both prog and non prog fans. And I assume you're part of the former. 

I don't think prog is perceived as being outside of rock any more than any other rock subgenre(including jam bands and post rock). 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 18:08
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I read it wrong. Lol. Yeah, I am part of the former
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 18:18
If we consider how it is mocked by most critics and a lot of the general public despite having contributed to some of the biggest (mainly technological) advancements in the history of rock music, then yes it is.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 20:59
The most important thing here is that Steve gets rid of that scary avatar and bring back the cute doggy peering through lattice.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 22:43
We are the most oppressed people of the world, we have to fight for our rights, we have to fund our own nation where nobody oppress us anymore!
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 00:33
Yes.

It is underrated.
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 02:11
Depends which side of the fence you're on!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 04:20
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

The most important thing here is that Steve gets rid of that scary avatar and bring back the cute doggy peering through lattice.
Done.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 04:24
Like the french poet René Char would say : Prog is looking for the livable head.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 04:45
Hey, no more vague quotes from poets or I'll bring back creepy Freud! LOL
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 05:06
"Those who can be made to believe in absurdities. Can be made to commit atrocities!" - Descartes....
Er, ooh crap wrong board....
By me - No,
by the proletariat philistine sheeples - YES!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>